Thread: Talking Trash?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    Thanks Rob. Real glad you were there.....
    I was not the medic on scene. I wasn't close enough to see the wipeout, only the splash.. we headed that way but once the water cleared we saw them upright and in one piece with another med boat much closer, so we remained at our post. Bruce does on heck of a job putting the entire medical/safety deal together pretty much by himself.
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

2. Collapse Details

SHARKEY-IMAGES
    I paid a visit to the boat in the secluded hanger and did my job. Kudos to Skater for making one of the strongest boats out there. Obviously things will be learned from this to make improvements on the Closed Canopies. For what this boat went through at that speed, I was shocked to see so little damage to the boat. Sure hatches and scoops are the easiest things to go, but the structural integrity of the entire hull and deck was showing it's strengths that day. One of the main reasons Jimmy and Vinnie were able to walk away.
    I have a full sequence of about 20 images after the immediate impact. 1 image right before. The water explosion is unbelievable. Please understand I need to keep certain images Exclusive. I will know more of what the Magazines will want at a later date.

Get well soon Jimmy and Vinnie!

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by SHARKEY-IMAGES View Post
    I paid a visit to the boat in the secluded hanger and did my job. Kudos to Skater for making one of the strongest boats out there. Obviously things will be learned from this to make improvements on the Closed Canopies. For what this boat went through at that speed, I was shocked to see so little damage to the boat. Sure hatches and scoops are the easiest things to go, but the structural integrity of the entire hull and deck was showing it's strengths that day. One of the main reasons Jimmy and Vinnie were able to walk away.
    I have a full sequence of about 20 images after the immediate impact. 1 image right before. The water explosion is unbelievable. Please understand I need to keep certain images Exclusive. I will know more of what the Magazines will want at a later date.

Get well soon Jimmy and Vinnie!

how did the canopy glass fair? the boat is a moot point if the windows don't stay in it....

4. Collapse Details

SHARKEY-IMAGES
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean H View Post
    how did the canopy glass fair? the boat is a moot point if the windows don't stay in it....
    Until we know what happened, I would rather not speculate. It really depends on the sequence of events.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by SHARKEY-IMAGES View Post
    Until we know what happened, I would rather not speculate. It really depends on the sequence of events.
    Well, I hope Jimmy doesn't let it go back together the same way it came apart. He's too much fun to have around at the races for that.

6. Collapse Details

yes and no.... the point is the wrecked a fast cat at speed, and they not only survived, they walked away. safety is like speed, there is always a quest for more. The boats going back to the manufacture. lessons will be learned and improvements will be made. It wasn't that long ago that you would be lucky to survive wiping out that fast.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    yes and no.... the point is the wrecked a fast cat at speed, and they not only survived, they walked away. safety is like speed, there is always a quest for more. The boats going back to the manufacture. lessons will be learned and improvements will be made. It wasn't that long ago that you would be lucky to survive wiping out that fast.
    how fast? 100? 110? that boat should be able to take that without a canopy issue. that is the latest and greatest race boat out of skater, its not some 10 year old leftover race boat running around for fun.

You were the same guy bashing Mystic for a rigging mistake and nobody got hurt at all. Now somebody gets knocked out and the other broken bones and you say no big deal? Kinda confusing....

Jimmy always poked fun at our small window openings, but of course our windows (or canopy) haven't suffered any damage in two rolls at those same speeds (or faster in sunny isles last year), he may change his tune now.

Like I said before, Jimmy and Vinny are good to have at the races, and they run hard, they should have the safest stuff to run in. Really is no reason for anything less.

8. Collapse Details

well above 110. the reason I got worked up about the mystic was that they had water intrusion, and the pace was way backed off.

9. Collapse Details

Rob, great meeting you this weekend and thanks so much for the REAL info on the crash. The only thing I will add is that last year the boat did 127 mph on radar and flat water so I suspect that is about what they were going, even so it is a testament to the design and build that they were able to not only survive, but be relatively uninjured. Get well soon guys and good luck getting back out for Sarasota, we are all thankful for your safety.

10. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor glassdave's Avatar
    speed wise when we talked to Jimmy i think i heard him say 110-115 range and that sounds about consistent with conditions (and Jimmy in those conditions). Thats about as far as you could have hung it out in that slop.
    Throttles- Cleveland Construction/Traffic Light Racing 377 Talon cat

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    well above 110. the reason I got worked up about the mystic was that they had water intrusion, and the pace was way backed off.
    I much rather take water through a rigging hole than the windows blow out, but that is just me.

the speed may shock you, they only ran 130ish in cumberland, and paul and tony's boats were only averaging 86-88 a lap....

Like I said before, Jimmy knew he had bigger windows, we talked about the size difference before. Hopefully it will come back correct this time.

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by glassdave View Post
    speed wise when we talked to Jimmy i think i heard him say 110-115 range and that sounds about consistent with conditions (and Jimmy in those conditions). Thats about as far as you could have hung it out in that slop.
    thanks dave, almost like I had been around a supercat or two in my life.

good to hear the keys stay outside the car this weekend too!

13. Collapse Details

Jimmy always poked fun at our small window openings, but of course our windows (or canopy) haven't suffered any damage in two rolls at those same speeds (or faster in sunny isles last year), he may change his tune now..
    thanks dave, almost like I had been around a supercat or two in my life.

good to hear the keys stay outside the car this weekend too!
    Do you run one of the race boats? Which one? What's all the "our"?

I'm not prying, just didn't know you raced/had a boat.

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo36 View Post
    Do you run one of the race boats? Which one? What's all the "our"?

I'm not prying, just didn't know you raced/had a boat.
    the 38 DW Fury, Ray and Guy run it, I make sure they run it out in front of everybody else. I also make sure that it is as safe as possible for them to do it in. So when I say we or our, I say that because when I send it out, those guys are my friends in there and I like it when the return safely, right side up or otherwise, although I prefer right side up, it is a little less work.

15. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor
    You are 100% spot on there.
    Steve

16. Collapse Details

the 38 DW Fury, Ray and Guy run it, I make sure they run it out in front of everybody else. I also make sure that it is as safe as possible for them to do it in. So when I say we or our, I say that because when I send it out, those guys are my friends in there and I like it when the return safely, right side up or otherwise, although I prefer right side up, it is a little less work.
    ok, I had no idea you were a wrench.

17. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor mikey's Avatar
    I talked to Chris today as he was getting ready to take the toter home back up to NY. There was not water in the cockpit and at this point they think the glass broke becasue of deck flex. Jimmy and Vinny are lucky because there were other things that had happend that I dont want to get into. The boat and the glass are mute points to me. My good friends being able to walk alway is all that matters. Also thanks to Jim Black for going to the hospital with them and updating us with information.

Mikey
    Miss Geico Racing # 113

18. Collapse Details

SHARKEY-IMAGES
    I spoke with Peter today. He gets the boat in another day or two.

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    Rob, great meeting you this weekend and thanks so much for the REAL info on the crash. The only thing I will add is that last year the boat did 127 mph on radar and flat water so I suspect that is about what they were going, even so it is a testament to the design and build that they were able to not only survive, but be relatively uninjured. Get well soon guys and good luck getting back out for Sarasota, we are all thankful for your safety.
    Hey Ted...I believe it was more like 137 mph. I was running the gun and they came past us about 6 feet off of the bow. WOW...that was awesome.

Great to hear that everyone is ok and will race again. We were in paceboat 1 and were over by start/finish when it happened. Got to give kudos to the safety and med boats as well. Everyone was very calm on the radio and racecom orchestrated it nicely.

Hope to see everyone in Cambridge if not sooner.

The Other Smitty
    The Other Smitty
    www.cbpba.com
    Go Ravens!!! Wacco for Flacco!!!

20. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    All I can say is it's great they're safe. It's great you guys talk to each other here and discuss improvements. And it's great the entire staff at the race were on the ball.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!