Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Alright, What Gives? (trying to sell a boat)
    Question
    I have had my Scarab listed for a couple weeks now at what I thought was a fair "asking price", but maybe not. I did have it listed last summer and got some seriously low ball offers (25k-28k) but i figured that was understandable with the economy.

It's a 1999 29ft w/twin 350's, nicely equipped with low fresh water hours and always racked stored, I'm asking 36K with a aluminum trailer..

is this to much in this economy?
    Bad color combo?
    or what ??

I went threw this boat over the past month and replaced the gimbal, had the drives serviced even replaced the trailer bearings... are people still worried about buying or is 36k to much? Hell I have seen a 1995 with 3 times the hours listed at 40k.

Picture:

2. Collapse Details

registered
    I'd say you're in the ballpark...heck the ad right under yours is a '95 with the same motors, and they're asking 39k.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 2TR View Post
    I have had my Scarab listed for a couple weeks now at what I thought was a fair "asking price", but maybe not. I did have it listed last summer and got some seriously low ball offers (25k-28k) but i figured that was understandable with the economy.

It's a 1999 29ft w/twin 350's, nicely equipped with low fresh water hours and always racked stored, I'm asking 36K with a aluminum trailer..

is this to much in this economy?
    Bad color combo?
    or what ??

Welcome to the boat business. I think the boat is worth mid 30's but what do I know?? If you have someone making offers, you BETTER stay on em!

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by sellsman11 View Post
    If you have someone making offers, you BETTER stay on em!
    Thats the problem, the people making offers are calling and low-balling it by 10-15k.

5. Collapse Details

That seems like a fair asking price to me. Good luck with the sale.
    Unstoppable f'n terror.

6. Collapse Details

Icon/Founding Member Top Banana's Avatar
    Rhode Island - Summers / Florida - Winters
    It will either go quickly or not at all. We are all going through an economic time that is unlike anything anyone has ever experienced before.

The first of three areas has collapsed. The housing market, combined with massive unemployment numbers, which will in turn create the second collapse around August or so...the commerecial real estate market. The third and final leg will collapse around the end of the year and that will be the credit card market.

Combine these three with historical facts...which has proven over and over again that what is being tried by the gov't has never worked, repeat...never worked in the history of the world, with any government that ever tried it.

So hold on to you boat, because when the hyperinflation starts, you will be able to sell it for twice what your asking....the only problem is, that will be the same price as a loaf of bread.
    Light travels faster than sound....that is why some people appear bright until we hear them speak!!

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Top Banana View Post
    It will either go quickly or not at all. We are all going through an economic time that is unlike anything anyone has ever experienced before.

The first of three areas has collapsed. The housing market, combined with massive unemployment numbers, which will in turn create the second collapse around August or so...the commerecial real estate market. The third and final leg will collapse around the end of the year and that will be the credit card market.

Combine these three with historical facts...which has proven over and over again that what is being tried by the gov't has never worked, repeat...never worked in the history of the world, with any government that ever tried it.

So hold on to you boat, because when the hyperinflation starts, you will be able to sell it for twice what your asking....the only problem is, that will be the same price as a loaf of bread.

Ummmmmm.... thanks, I think.

lol

Back to selling: I have seen other 29 Scarabs sell for more than mine in the past months. is there a problem with the way I listed it? The Pictures?

8. Collapse Details

Icon/Founding Member Top Banana's Avatar
    Rhode Island - Summers / Florida - Winters
    Seriously the market is way off right now so you can't go by anything other than what you feel is a good number.

You are competing against boat dealers who have gone under all over the nation....that inventory has to be moved.

Then you have boat manufacturers who have gone under...that inventory has to be moved.

Then you have the guys who have given back their keys because they could no longer make the note.....that inventory has to be moved.

Only the really high end stuff is moving right now at anywhere near the real price. If you really want to get out of the boat, follow up with whoever is giving you any offer. Sad as it seems, they are the ones that are setting the market right now.

The strong ones can afford to sit on the sidelines and wait it out....the weak are history and until the three layers of excess inventory is flushed through the buyers that are real.....price is totally unknown.
    Light travels faster than sound....that is why some people appear bright until we hear them speak!!

9. Collapse Details

It's a tough market Rick. I sold my hull for 4000.00 under blue book just to get rid of it. Good luck. Bob

10. Collapse Details

The market is flooded right now. Everyone is liquidating assets, or just trying to get out of debt. If anyone is buying a boat at market value, send them my way. I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale.

If your not giving it away, they wont buy it. Sad truth.

11. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Banana View Post

You're making me nervous Charlie. Is that your professional opinion?
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

12. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SVL66 View Post
    The market is flooded right now. Everyone is liquidating assets, or just trying to get out of debt. If anyone is buying a boat at market value, send them my way. I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale.

If your not giving it away, they wont buy it. Sad truth.
    Yep. I'm sitting on our real estate and boats right now. I'm figuring the first thing that will happen is bartering/trades.

13. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    It sure looks like Rick's boat is the best value in our classifieds between 30 and 40 now......

14. Collapse Details

Unfortunatly....it's STILL IN the ads.......thus buyers do not think the same way.

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 2TR View Post
    Back to selling: I have seen other 29 Scarabs sell for more than mine in the past months. is there a problem with the way I listed it? The Pictures?

NO.....you have seen other 29 Scarabs that were ASKING more than you sell. Only the buyer and seller know what the final price was. Trust me.

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by sellsman11 View Post
    NO.....you have seen other 29 Scarabs that were ASKING more than you sell. Only the buyer and seller know what the final price was. Trust me.
    True... Would 33K be a better price?

17. Collapse Details

The price is fair IMO. I've been looking at this boat for awhile. If I did not have my current boat, I would be in touch with you. And no, I would not be low-balling you.

Are you located in Michigan or am I thinking of a similar boat that was for sale about a year ago?

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me View Post
    The price is fair IMO. I've been looking at this boat for awhile. If I did not have my current boat, I would be in touch with you. And no, I would not be low-balling you.

Are you located in Michigan or am I thinking of a similar boat that was for sale about a year ago?

I'm in Chesterfield, MI. It was listed last year but I was not really getting any serious offers so I pulled it. Now the wife is all about a Sedan Bridge "Weekend" boat and I would really like to sell this one before I buy another, Owning 3 boats is grounds for divorce in some states.

19. Collapse Details

If your getting low ball offers that is great. Every deal starts somewhere. The best salesmen end up taking low ball offers into workable figures. People never really know what they really are going to end up spending when they like something. Just need to convince low ballers that they haven't realized the value of your boat.

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BraceYourself View Post
    If your getting low ball offers that is great. Every deal starts somewhere. The best salesmen end up taking low ball offers into workable figures. People never really know what they really are going to end up spending when they like something. Just need to convince low ballers that they haven't realized the value of your boat.

DING DING DING.....We have a winner!