Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Let me be the first to whine........
    I miss the F1 days w / the 500 carb and efi. We had it going on and I'll never forget the good times we had. Sarasota , Toronto , W.Palm , Corpus , etc - deck to deck every lap! P-Class today is just not for me.

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by THEJOKER View Post
    I miss the F1 days w / the 500 carb and efi. We had it going on and I'll never forget the good times we had. Sarasota , Toronto , W.Palm , Corpus , etc - deck to deck every lap! P-Class today is just not for me.
    I am right there with you. I raced F2 in the best days till the end. SuperV for a season. Looking to try Cat Ob next. P class is not my thing either. Good for some, but not for me.

3. Collapse Details

I saw you all the time at the races. I don't know if we spoke though. F1-96 Hollis Motorsports , SVL Solarized #33 , P3-96 PowerBoatTours and F2-62 Talisman Marine. It would be so simple to bring back the spec classes in the smaller boats!

4. Collapse Details

We can meet again in Key West.

You were at w palm '99. That was so fun running on those mountain swells.
    In "99 I crewed Tivoli B7 for APBA and drove F2-71 Fountain in SBI. That was a fun year.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    We can meet again in Key West.

You were at w palm '99. That was so fun running on those mountain swells.
    In "99 I crewed Tivoli B7 for APBA and drove F2-71 Fountain in SBI. That was a fun year.

Huge mountains 20 ft?....Miklos put bicycle flags on his boat. I thought he was nuts until the parade lap - HOLY CHIT!

6. Collapse Details

We broke a drive and idled back. That was frightening wondering who was going to come from behind and land on us.

Sanborn and I witnessed V-76 with Lilly throttling for Jeff Harris carrying across the tops of some of those mountains. OMG I will never forget it.

7. Collapse Details

We broke a drive and idled back. That was frightening wondering who was going to come from behind and land on us.

Sanborn and I witnessed V-76 with Lilly throttling for Jeff Harris carrying across the tops of some of those mountains. OMG I will never forget it.
    You are right on the money about somebody landing on each other. That was all that was on my mind. Are we going to land on somebody or vice versa. Man.... Lance Henrichsen - Warlock and Jo w/ Pantera duked it out. If F1 Came back w/ a 500 efi or carb I would have to build a new race boat and get back at it.

8. Collapse Details

Well SVL in OSS is pretty close. There are some nice used ready boats available.
    I got lucky Drive the IMCO boat a few times. Its one of the well attended classes. LOTO had 7 or 8.
    Randy was faster than we were by 1 or 2 so I made him work to get around me. I pushed him around some the best I could. It took him 3/4 of a lap to get by. This was the last moment we were ahead of him. Had a good time.

Attachment 63

9. Collapse Details

Well SVL in OSS is pretty close. There are some nice used ready boats available.
    I got lucky Drive the IMCO boat a few times. Its one of the well attended classes. LOTO had 7 or 8.
    Randy was faster than we were by 1 or 2 so I made him work to get around me. I pushed him around some the best I could. It took him 3/4 of a lap to get by. This was the last moment we were ahead of him. Had a good time.

Attachment 63
    Yes you are right - The SVL are deck to deck. We had the 700 hp when I raced SVL the last year before spec. I used to love to push em out and dive at the turn. I may be helping RonP with some shipping. Tell sticker boy hello in KW.

10. Collapse Details

Yes you are right - The SVL are deck to deck. We had the 700 hp when I raced SVL the last year before spec.
    Ahhh, the good ol' days.
    I'd rather be on the boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with my boat on the rocks.

11. Collapse Details

I owned and throttled F1-32 and also raced F2-16, They were my all time favorite classes, That is until it turned into checkbook racing and we didn't have the cake to be competitive. Anyway, it was a very exciting time in offshore, especially going into the first turn in St.Clair with 26 F-1's

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I owned and throttled F1-32 and also raced F2-16, They were my all time favorite classes, That is until it turned into checkbook racing and we didn't have the cake to be competitive. Anyway, it was a very exciting time in offshore, especially going into the first turn in St.Clair with 26 F-1's
    I drove F2-69 in St Clair and will never forget going into turn 1. We got pushed out so far we were almost in the spectator fleet and people were jumping out of their boat as we hosed them down! Crazy stuff!

13. Collapse Details

ahhhh the good ole days

Wife and I went to look at buying a f-2 boat to race in 2003

Cherie was risk manager for the APBA Silver cup series and we wanted to race and not just officiate

We were just about to pull the trigger on the boat when we started to see things falling apart

We decided to wait a year and that is when the wheels fell off of the class and the sport

This was the best decision we never made to buy the boat

I would still love to race but i am no longer in the financial position I was in then, and the factory classes would have to come back for me to get interested in competing

I envy you guys who raced and who are racing

I have been involved in many facets of offshore for years

I have owned many offshore boats, and we have put on great events (Smoke On The Water Poker Run and Grand Haven off shore races)

We can not go back, but we can go forward using lessons from the past I hope we learn and re apply some of the winning thought processes when it comes to racing

14. Collapse Details

I'll never forget them either guys, when we deployed we had to time our jumps so that we were on top, if we missed, it was a long way down.

Pop
    Jim Poplin
    STARS Powerboat Rescue Team
    Established 1983

15. Collapse Details

Factory Classes were always my all time favorites. We tried very hard to keep the class alive. It was one of the best. Dave
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: Jesus Christ and the
    American Military. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Pop View Post
    I'll never forget them either guys, when we deployed we had to time our jumps so that we were on top, if we missed, it was a long way down.

Pop

Yea another time I'll never forget was in Corpus 2000. You hovering in turn one at the start of the Super Cat race , me co-piloting in Angel II chasing them down the back straight away in 3-4's. Now that was cool!

17. Collapse Details

Yea another time I'll never forget was in Corpus 2000. You hovering in turn one at the start of the Super Cat race , me co-piloting in Angel II chasing them down the back straight away in 3-4's. Now that was cool!
    Yea, that was cool, almost forgot about that one.

Pop
    Jim Poplin
    STARS Powerboat Rescue Team
    Established 1983

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Pop View Post
    Yea, that was cool, almost forgot about that one.

Pop

And the 1st time we heard the name HERBOT when he went swimming in a F2 Boat. I could go on and on. Man Pop I miss those days and the whole APBA Family. St Pete Worlds 1999 was quiet a show too!

19. Collapse Details

Yea, You guys I remember like it was yesterday. Pops I miss you too. I hope our paths cross again soon.

20. Collapse Details

Yea, You guys I remember like it was yesterday. Pops I miss you too. I hope our paths cross again soon.
    Old APBA Racers Hug! HAHA