Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by CigDaze View Post
    I love my Garmin 376C. It's a nice, compact, color chartplotter that runs on 110VAC or 12VDC, and has an internal battery and a built-in antenna for completely wireless operation. The batt lasts for an entire day no problems.
    It's also XM weather ready.
    that's the ticket, Nick.
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

2. Collapse Details

Northstar m84 I love it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 114.JPG   115.JPG  

3. Collapse Details

Registered
    The 376c is for sure the cats a-- even in daylight sun with old eyes...

4. Collapse Details

Let's talk about the bracket mounted ones, like my 182c, in offshore apps.

Here is my unit (leftover from last boat) and my boat. I thought about placing it where the pitot speedo is. (center)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 29541909099_small.jpg   DSC04368.jpg  

5. Collapse Details

registered
    Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post
    So you use the standard bracket on the cig?
    Yes. I still have my old school dash panel, so there's no room to flush mount it (yet). In any event, I use the surface mount, which I adhered to the top of my dash platform, using Garmin's adhesive disc, which is incidentally bulletproof - it stays put at 70mph without even a hint of movement. It's a perfect grab-and-go, as I use it in the truck, too.

6. Collapse Details

Garmin 5208 GPS touch screen with XM weather; it's awesome. The green tape is optional.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN6573.jpg  

7. Collapse Details

mine was great, could use it on water and takeit with me to use in the truck as well..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1989_35'_Cafe_Racer_002.jpg   1989_35'_Cafe_Racer_004.jpg  
    Hi, Im Dave.. Welcome, glad to have ya.....

8. Collapse Details

registered
    Quote Originally Posted by stecz20 View Post
    mine was great, could use it on water and takeit with me to use in the truck as well..
    That nearly identical to mine. That's the 276, I believe, the predecessor to the one I have. It really is a great all-around unit.

9. Collapse Details

registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Gun View Post
    Garmin 5208 GPS touch screen with XM weather; it's awesome. The green tape is optional.
    Show-off!!

Seriously, that's a nice dash.

10. Collapse Details

Here is my problem, where the compass used to be, is a blank pad. Same on the other side. But... the only place that I can really put the gps is on that pad.

Does it look too funny? I need a gps in the places that I boat. Another option is to cover over where the pitot speedo is, but it works and I don't really want to uninstall it. Plus... up high is very visible and doesn't block my view at all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PICT0480.jpg   PICT0481.jpg  

11. Collapse Details

Here's where ours is, although there is talk of a replacement unit for a smaller one. We removed the speedo and compass for this mount and will most likely be putting a Cigarette logo in the old speedo location. A smaller GPS unit will be better as this one blocks your view of the tach's.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails finishedgauges001.jpg   finishedgauges002.jpg  

12. Collapse Details

Maybe I should block my speedo. I would have to take it out and make a blank.

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    A winter project that never got done was to install a nice GPS unit. Show me what you have and your likes and dislikes.
    Furuno nav-net 3d system complete with radar.

The dashboard was custom molded piece specifically designed to fit this unit.

Furuno NavNet3d is the system I chose this is a very high end unit

Likes - zero redraw time on plotter at any resolution- radar overlay on plotter, radar performance, AIS target acquisition system unreal.

Dislikes- the price

Uncle Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC05790.jpg   cockpitfrom right furuno.jpg   DSC05791.jpg  

14. Collapse Details
    great design....
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Gun View Post
    That setup is F-ing sweet.

I really like dash layout, and design

Curious about the display angle, do you notice much glare during the day?

Uncle Dave

15. Collapse Details

Here is my problem, where the compass used to be, is a blank pad. Same on the other side. But... the only place that I can really put the gps is on that pad.

Does it look too funny? I need a gps in the places that I boat. Another option is to cover over where the pitot speedo is, but it works and I don't really want to uninstall it. Plus... up high is very visible and doesn't block my view at all.
    It does look a little lonely up there I have the same problem with my 440S.

There are a variety of mounts at Rammount.com. Another option is to hook it up to the engines if that's possible. Then you could get rid of lots of gauges.

Still another option is to consolidate gauges by getting newer ones that have multi functions. That is a very tough dash.

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
    It does look a little lonely up there I have the same problem with my 440S.

There are a variety of mounts at Rammount.com. Another option is to hook it up to the engines if that's possible. Then you could get rid of lots of gauges.

Still another option is to consolidate gauges by getting newer ones that have multi functions. That is a very tough dash.
    I played around with it and I think that I found a solution. I removed the pitot speedo from the center hole. I found a couple of old tach and speedo brackets from a few boats back and they happen to line up with the screw holes in the Garmin mount. I temped it in place centering the Garmin mount in the cutout and it worked pretty well. It got it down and inside the boat better, it doesn't really block my tachs. And it keeps that pad clean. I should have taken a pic. It is the least of all evils, and I don't have to cut anything. I do need to buy a 4" white blank guage filler for the hole underneath. When I am standing up it will tip back, and when I am sitting down it will tip up.

17. Collapse Details

I have an older (2003) Lowrance black and white in front of the driver. Next winter I want to upgrade it to a color Garmin.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails zr deck.jpg  

18. Collapse Details

I played around with it and I think that I found a solution. I removed the pitot speedo from the center hole. I found a couple of old tach and speedo brackets from a few boats back and they happen to line up with the screw holes in the Garmin mount. I temped it in place centering the Garmin mount in the cutout and it worked pretty well. It got it down and inside the boat better, it doesn't really block my tachs. And it keeps that pad clean. I should have taken a pic. It is the least of all evils, and I don't have to cut anything. I do need to buy a 4" white blank guage filler for the hole underneath. When I am standing up it will tip back, and when I am sitting down it will tip up.
    Pretty much what I'm doing with mine, except I don't have to use an existing hole, but I could. Not having to cut anything is always a good thing.

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
    Pretty much what I'm doing with mine, except I don't have to use an existing hole, but I could. Not having to cut anything is always a good thing.
    Especially good not to have to cut when you are using a "legacy" product like mine. After the worst of the new engine expense onslaught is over I will look into a unit with xm weather.
    I found a white (black is available) filler blank for about 10 bucks from Iboats. The gps will cover everything, but the filler blank will make it nice. I'll drill the filler blank to pass the gps cable through. Plus, this way I can always restore it to the speedo. My gps has a speed function, so I can at least know. I don't trust pitot tube speedos anyway.

20. Collapse Details

That's a great idea for the cable, hadn't thought of that one.

Unfortunately, I've already seen those nice in-dash units, and this just won't be the same