1. Collapse Details
    Need An Opinion On Windshield
    So I have been kicking around the idea of having the windshield on the boat tinted so it looks more like their sport edition windshield. I either think it will make the boat look more sleek, or really, really ghetto. I called around to a couple glass places and they wanted $250+/- to do it, but I think I could achieve the same results doing it myself. I saw a guy on that did it to a Donzi Minx and it looked pretty neat and cleaned up the outline of the boat. So, anyways, I'm open to suggestions, pro/cons, whatever!

My boat is the yellow one, the other one is just a boat I found online that has the sport windshield. Also, maybe if someone has a minute they could photoshop it black for me? I am horrible with computers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DansSenza.jpg   DSCN0393.jpg  

2. Collapse Details

living up here there are probably times that you actually use the windshield as a windshield so be careful about how dark you tint it.

3. Collapse Details

Here you go....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails perl2.jpg   perl3.jpg  
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

4. Collapse Details

Josh i hear people all day try to tell me that me putting film on cars looks easy. it looks easy because I have been doing it for 14 years. tint you need to shrink to fit. save yourself some aggravation and pay the professional. you get a warranty with the film as well. I recommend Llumar, their color stable films are some of the best out there and reasonably priced. check different shops for prices, but also look at the cleanliness of the shop and ask for referrals.

5. Collapse Details

That is good advice if you decide to tint it, Josh.

My opinion is to leave it alone unless you will be keeping the boat because it is the perfect model that works for you. If you plan to sell it at any point and move up, the tint may put off the folks who would be an audience for that boat.
    Just a thought.

I don't think that the tint looks as good on the larger windshield. Just me, maybe.

6. Collapse Details

That's funny. I was dropping a car off at the body shop last week and they had one of their guys putting cut-vinyl graphics on the window. It was like watching a cartoon. He made a little mistake and tried to correct it. That compounded and then the wheels came off the wagon altogether. By the time he was done the job looked like he'd carried the graphics around in his back pocket for a month.

About halfway through, my friend that owns the shop nonchalantly calles the graphics place, orders a replacement set and asks how soon they can do the install.

7. Collapse Details

I've been thinking about doing the same with my boat's windshield...just a light tint. I think it will look pretty good with my paint scheme.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails my29 024.JPG  

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    That's funny. I was dropping a car off at the body shop last week and they had one of their guys putting cut-vinyl graphics on the window. It was like watching a cartoon. He made a little mistake and tried to correct it. That compounded and then the wheels came off the wagon altogether. By the time he was done the job looked like he'd carried the graphics around in his back pocket for a month.

About halfway through, my friend that owns the shop nonchalantly calles the graphics place, orders a replacement set and asks how soon they can do the install.
    I see it all the time, have a guy running into all the dealerships now saying he can do everything I do just cheaper. no business license, no insurance, shares a shop with some local garage, uses cheaper film and BS designs. he actually did one on the showroom floor, took 8 hours, and the next day the cheap film was peeling up. It's frustrating when some customers only look at $$$. like a certain board member with boat pricing, "you can know the cost of everything and the value of nothing".

Oh and the best part is his mother is a democrat in the house of delegates here in MD, and he runs a business with no license, hell he might as well apply for Tim Geitners job.

9. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshoredrillin View Post
    I see it all the time, have a guy running into all the dealerships now saying he can do everything I do just cheaper. no business license, no insurance, shares a shop with some local garage, uses cheaper film and BS designs. he actually did one on the showroom floor, took 8 hours, and the next day the cheap film was peeling up. It's frustrating when some customers only look at $$$. like a certain board member with boat pricing, "you can know the cost of everything and the value of nothing".

Oh and the best part is his mother is a democrat in the house of delegates here in MD, and he runs a business with no license, hell he might as well apply for Tim Geitners job.
    Should fit, I'm sure he doesn't pay his taxes either...
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

10. Collapse Details

I am in need of replacing one of the pieces to my windshield and I was told by a boat windshield manufacturer that you can not tint boat windshields. I don't know if that only goes for acrylic or all. They said that the tind at the bottom of the windshield would start to crack you may want to ask around and see I don't know if this is true, but this business does alot of boat windshields here in Michigan.

11. Collapse Details

I think it looks better tinted but thats just me....

12. Collapse Details

Tint will look good!!

13. Collapse Details

I just painted mine gloss black. I say tint away. It peels off if you do not like it.

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bradz View Post
    I just painted mine gloss black. I say tint away. It peels off if you do not like it.
    Yeah, thats the best part. If you don't like it just pull it off.

15. Collapse Details

I say have a pro tint it with Llumar.
    I have my vehicles tinted by a local company that does everything from Commercial Biz to Residential to Auto to Airplane, etc. Do it once and do it right.

BTW, what is a G.T. 240? Any more pics or a website?

16. Collapse Details

Registered
    Theres a blue and white Formula around here with blue tint and it looks cool as hell. Maybe you should try yellow. Seriously.

17. Collapse Details

I was thinking of tinting mine as well - this photo with the cockpit cover just makes it look like it is tinted. What I was thinking was trying the film first, as a test to see if it worked out from a visibility standpoint while at the helm.

But, having tried putting this stuff on a '69 Nova SS about 25 years ago, I know it's harder than it looks.

18. Collapse Details

Thanks for the opinions guys. I'm still not sure what I want to do. I think I need to take a picture of it in the water so that I don't have the black contrast from the trailer. That is why I was thinking it looked good having a black windshield initially. I want it to sort of blend in with the paint scheme, so I think something lighter might look better. This weekend I will try and get a pic of it in the water so I can decide. You guys are definitely right about it not being as easy as it looks to do. When I called a couple places they mentioned that it depends how tight the angle in the corner is also. I don't think that would be a problem though because it is pretty gradual.

19. Collapse Details

go to te store and get some black posterboard..cheap...cut it out, tape up..stand back and look...$10 bucks in posterboard and you have your answer.
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership