Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Thermostat Question...
    Appleton, Wisconsin. Where we have 2 seasons... winter and road construction
    Anyone ever drill small holes in your thermostats to increase cooling on your engines?
    ________

2. Collapse Details

Its really more to let air pockets out from under the tstat so you don't get hot spots in the engine. It is a good thing on a boat engine. It should not change your cooling though once all in in equalibrium.

3. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have never heard of that. Any thing else anyone can add?
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

4. Collapse Details

Waterford Mi., Lk. St. Clair and Lk. Erie
    It's true, 2 or 3 1/8 dia. holes drilled around the outside of the thermostat allow any trapped air to escape. It also helps to even out the pressure and temperature fluctuations if you run a crossover.
    Big boats rule!

5. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriYacht View Post
    It's true, 2 or 3 1/8 dia. holes drilled around the outside of the thermostat allow any trapped air to escape. It also helps to even out the pressure and temperature fluctuations if you run a crossover.
    Thanks Ian.

6. Collapse Details

registered
    I don't run thermostats in mine, but I have heard of people drilling the holes in them.

7. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
    I don't run thermostats in mine, but I have heard of people drilling the holes in them.
    I can't imagine not running thermostats up here in Lake Michigan. The water right now is a balmy 44 degrees.I'm afraid the computers on the Empress would think due to temp it was running too rich and keep leaning until it puked.....

8. Collapse Details

Appleton, Wisconsin. Where we have 2 seasons... winter and road construction
    I should have posted this earlier. I just changed my stat. But I might pull it back out and do a little drillin'.
    ________

9. Collapse Details

registered
    I run crossovers on my new engines. I have 150* T-stats in place, and we drilled four 1/8" holes around the perimeter. Temps are perfect and steady. It allows for water circulation through the block at all times including during cold-start and idle to avoid hot-spots and air pockets. It also alleviates the situation where often times when running crossovers with bypasses, the t-stat won't open up due to the raw water dumping on top of the t-stat via the bypass which artificially keeps it cool. It takes a little longer to get up to temp, but I can maintain 150* right on the money.
    Last edited by cigdaze; 05-05-2009 at 08:51 AM.

10. Collapse Details

registered
    Quote Originally Posted by CigDaze View Post
    I run crossovers on my new engines. I have 150* T-stats in place, and we drilled four 1/8" holes around the perimeter. Temps are perfect and steady. It allows for water circulation through the block at all times including during cold-start and idle to avoid hot-spots and air pockets. It also alleviates the situation where often times when running crossovers with bypasses, the t-stat won't open up due to the raw water dumping on top of the t-stat via the bypass which artificially keeps it cool. It takes a little longer to get up to temp, but I can maintain 150* right on the money.
    Good stuff. I have crossovers, but no bypass. Seems to work fine with no t-stats in mine. My water temps are a constant 125 and my oil temps are right at 220 during normal running. The oil temps never go over 240 when running the snot out of it and the water temps stay at 125.

11. Collapse Details

Fond du Lac, WI Cheeseheads & Kiekhaefer Scarab KV Miami Vice LTD Formally Snap-On Tools Canada
    I think mine were drilled also.

12. Collapse Details

Registered
    i've got 3 little drill holes in each of my t-stats. good for airpockets, start ups, and idling.

13. Collapse Details

Both sets of my engines have had drilled Tstats. This actually allows me to pump my engines full of antifreeze (after draining the cooling system) without having to start them and wait for the T stats to open.

14. Collapse Details

Does anyone have a pic of this done to a t-stat they can post. I know it's silly, but I want to make sure I do it in the right spot. LOL
    31 Sonic SS

15. Collapse Details

registered
    Here you go, niceguy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thermostat-drilled.JPG  

16. Collapse Details

Thanks CigDaze!!
    31 Sonic SS

17. Collapse Details

I learned this trick from the jet boat guys 25 years ago. If you route your raw water through your exhaust manifolds first, then into your engine, you pre-warm it. Then all you do is put a drilled thermostat in and you have a bulletproof cooling system that never runs cold. On this setup, the engine outlet water runs to your exhaust tails.

18. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    The old Mercruisers in the 70's and early 80's were like that as well.

19. Collapse Details

registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I learned this trick from the jet boat guys 25 years ago. If you route your raw water through your exhaust manifolds first, then into your engine, you pre-warm it. Then all you do is put a drilled thermostat in and you have a bulletproof cooling system that never runs cold. On this setup, the engine outlet water runs to your exhaust tails.
    (In my best Guiness beer commercial voice) BRILLIANT!!!

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    I can't imagine not running thermostats up here in Lake Michigan. The water right now is a balmy 44 degrees.I'm afraid the computers on the Empress would think due to temp it was running too rich and keep leaning until it puked.....
    I've got no t-stat per say. It's a restricter washer, T-stat with no guts in it. Had to for Michigan, other wise it would stay in cold start mode and run fat. Temp stays about 125-130* I run a oil stat as well.