Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    ok....so I threw it out there
    Talked today with one of the Directors of our company, and asked questions of a position open in Clearwater, FL. Spread like wild fire. Could be a personally great move for buoy and I. But here we go again, another challenge. Now understand I've been in this profession for 25 years, know it like the back of my hand. The Florida position is exactly what Tim and I had planned over 6 years ago. Any thoughts?

Input would be great
    Too many margaritas!!!

2. Collapse Details

2 questions, does your company have use for an IT person and an asphalt plant manager and or janitor?

The past 3 days of this weather have been seriously steering my thoughts to a southern location.

3. Collapse Details
    Actually there is a position open
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    2 questions, does your company have use for an IT person and an asphalt plant manager and or janitor?

The past 3 days of this weather have been seriously steering my thoughts to a southern location.
    Kentucky is looking for an IT position, as long as it will be approved. Networking is a major plus along with Hardware Support.

JJ
    Too many margaritas!!!

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jj pantera View Post
    Talked today with one of the Directors of our company, and asked questions of a position open in Clearwater, FL. Spread like wild fire. Could be a personally great move for buoy and I. But here we go again, another challenge. Now understand I've been in this profession for 25 years, know it like the back of my hand. The Florida position is exactly what Tim and I had planned over 6 years ago. Any thoughts?

Input would be great
    Opportunities present themselves at the strangest times. Honestly, if a position were to open up in Florida with my company, I would jump on the opportunity.

That's not to say it would be easy. Our family is in Ohio plus we have friends that I know we won't have in Florida (I still hang with 8 or so friends from HS and I'm 46!).

We want to live in Florida. Sounds like you do too. Opportunity is knocking. You should answer the door and see if it's worthwhile.
    Queen of Bammin'

5. Collapse Details

I was kidding, well, sort of. I just cant take this freakin cold ass weather and its only been in the low 40s for 3 days.

6. Collapse Details

been thru there several times going from sarasota to new port richie.. nice area but along 19 it seems like wafflehouse, stripclub, adult bookstore, repeat hehehe
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

7. Collapse Details

You're exactly right, I was offered my current job unexpectedly. Our families are also in Ohio and we don't see them often enough even though they are only 4 hours away.

By the way my name is Jody and I'm Buoy's wife

JJ
    Too many margaritas!!!

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I was kidding, well, sort of. I just cant take this freakin cold ass weather and its only been in the low 40s for 3 days.
    Hate the cold weather and down here we don't get snow "We get frickin Ice" and then the hills don't help anything.

Too many margaritas!!!

9. Collapse Details

You're exactly right, I was offered my current job unexpectedly. Our families are also in Ohio and we don't see them often enough even though they are only 4 hours away.

By the way my name is Jody and I'm Buoy's wife

JJ
    Hi Jody! I'm Barb and I'm an offshore forum addict!

At this time in my life, I look at it as my time now. I love my kids and I would miss them so much if we moved, but I know we'd be the place where they would want to come and visit LOL!

We talk about moving a lot. It's not easy because my husband (ApacheRob) is self-employed and it would be a matter of what to do with the business. We do have a reliable full time person who we trust to keep things going here, and maybe start another business in FL. I could easily relocate in FL if I really pushed my company, but it would be costly and not in our best interest today.

But if they offered.........
    Queen of Bammin'

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    been thru there several times going from sarasota to new port richie.. nice area but along 19 it seems like wafflehouse, stripclub, adult bookstore, repeat hehehe
    That's right in Clearwater. There are many areas within 10-20 miles that are not like that and away from the main Clearwater tourist area.
    Queen of Bammin'

11. Collapse Details

Hate the cold weather and down here we don't get snow "We get frickin Ice" and then the hills don't help anything.

I'm with Tony...the cold weather really gets to me, and not in a good way. He's still young yet....wait until he reaches his 40's if he thinks it's bad now.
    Queen of Bammin'

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefApache View Post
    Hi Jody! I'm Barb and I'm an offshore forum addict!

At this time in my life, I look at it as my time now. I love my kids and I would miss them so much if we moved, but I know we'd be the place where they would want to come and visit LOL!

We talk about moving a lot. It's not easy because my husband (ApacheRob) is self-employed and it would be a matter of what to do with the business. We do have a reliable full time person who we trust to keep things going here, and maybe start another business in FL. I could easily relocate in FL if I really pushed my company, but it would be costly and not in our best interest today.

But if they offered.........

Barb,

What is your profession???

I'm sometimes uncomfortable with change (seeing as I was in my first job for 17 years). But I'm learning. Just throwing it out on the table. I miss my kid too even though she is 23.

Too many margaritas!!!

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefApache View Post
    I'm with Tony...the cold weather really gets to me, and not in a good way. He's still young yet....wait until he reaches his 40's if he thinks it's bad now.
    Ive always hated cold weather with a passion, probably moreso than folks thrice my age. But, I seem to have the same problem, too many roots run too deep. The family is huge and tight. The business and the farm are things I can never walk away from, best I can do is bust ass enought to be able to winter in the sunny south.

14. Collapse Details

Save yourself one move (and being called a halfback) and just come to the Carolinas. Northerners move to Florida...........get clobbered by a hurricane............and move halfway back.............hence the name "halfbacks".

Welcome to the Palmetto State!
    I'd rather be on the boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with my boat on the rocks.

15. Collapse Details

I love the idea of Florida too, but friends, family and hurricanes make me stay here, I could not imagine even dealing with one hurricane after seeing alot of pics of Ike, losing everythign you own in some cases, I will stay here and shovel snow..
    35 Cigarette Mistress

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by FULL FORCE View Post
    I love the idea of Florida too, but friends, family and hurricanes make me stay here, I could not imagine even dealing with one hurricane after seeing alot of pics of Ike, losing everythign you own in some cases, I will stay here and shovel snow..
    Chuck You Farley!!!
    I'll put my azz in FL with some storm shutters and some good insurance over ever shoveling snow again.
    Haven't really made any "freinds" since I moved here that weren't also transients that are now moving away onto bigger and better things.
    Have to remember, we moved to Kentucky, the general people here are everything you'd expect.
    Opportunity to move back to FL - even though I was only there for a short time...
    Very tempting.
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Buoy View Post
    Chuck You Farley!!!
    I'll put my azz in FL with some storm shutters and some good insurance over ever shoveling snow again.
    Haven't really made any "freinds" since I moved here that weren't also transients that are now moving away onto bigger and better things.
    Have to remember, we moved to Kentucky, the general people here are everything you'd expect.
    Opportunity to move back to FL - even though I was only there for a short time...
    Very tempting.
    I hear ya, one other thing is that I think i would not be very responsible there, i would not want to work, just play all the time.... winter also allows for savings for the next season..
    35 Cigarette Mistress

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by FULL FORCE View Post
    I hear ya, one other thing is that I think i would not be very responsible there, i would not want to work, just play all the time.... winter also allows for savings for the next season..
    Not worried about that, hadn't even crossed my mind. A job is a job, is a job.

Very dedicated, probably almost too much.

Go to work dedicated, and play on the weekends.

JJ

Too many margaritas!!!

19. Collapse Details

Not worried about that, hadn't even crossed my mind. A job is a job, is a job.

Very dedicated, probably almost too much.

Go to work dedicated, and play on the weekends.

JJ

I hear ya, I am dedicated but love nice days!
    35 Cigarette Mistress

20. Collapse Details

Understandable.......why the hell do we work so hard?????

JJ
    Too many margaritas!!!