Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    It might.. just might.. be... a "Banana"
    I felt bad hijacking the Apache thread.
    We must abide by the rules as well.

It is a 5, 4, 3 strakes. Is it really one of Charley's hulls?
    I heard and read some background of the Avanti hulls, but it would be nice to be sure.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0496.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	1433

Name:	IMG_0497.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	1434

Name:	IMG_0498.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	1435

2. Collapse Details

Sorry about the pic quality..

Name:	IMG_0495.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	1436

Name:	IMG_0502.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	1437

Name:	IMG_0503.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	1438

3. Collapse Details

Are you taking that to KW ?

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by CAPO71 View Post
    Are you taking that to KW ?
    Yes.. Doing the THursday run.. and probobly doing something on Saturday.. I got a few friends want to go for a ride.. we just have to find a spot for "rafting" and party. Checking on the SOS get together also... I might have room for one or two on Saturday.. Friday? we just have to see.

5. Collapse Details

Icon/Founding Member Top Banana's Avatar
    Rhode Island - Summers / Florida - Winters
    Quote Originally Posted by PARADOX View Post
    Yes.. Doing the THursday run.. and probobly doing something on Saturday.. I got a few friends want to go for a ride.. we just have to find a spot for "rafting" and party. Checking on the SOS get together also... I might have room for one or two on Saturday.. Friday? we just have to see.

Hey can I get a ride in my old boat???

Do the strakes end flat like a step, not rounded out like on the Cigarette?

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Top Banana View Post
    Hey can I get a ride in my old boat???

Do the strakes end flat like a step, not rounded out like on the Cigarette?
    Sir... it would be my pleasure and honor to give you a ride..
    If I undertand the strake question correctly.. they just end.. square.. they are not rounded.

I was planning to attend the Aronow run.. I talked to Larry a bunch of times but a few days before I was ready to leave.. I had a $10 part grounded me.. Couldn't get it done in time.. I was very upset missing that historic event.. Next year.

7. Collapse Details

Thank you, much appreciated. Yes, they ended square not rounded....you do have a boat from my old Banana mold.

It took 2 years of a very concentrated effort for Cigarette to get the 37.6 to be able to beat that boat. Finally in the Bahamas 200, in 1980, I was leading with Jerry Jacoby dueling with me side by side, we started pulling away as we rounded the Bimini mark and headed toward Freeport and the win......(By the way the Bahamas 200, was actually 205 miles long, and I was leading at the 200 mile mark.) one of my engines starts to tighten up and we come in 2nd by 30 seconds.

That was the first time ever, that a 37.6 or Top Gun ever won a major ocean race. Keith Hazell, who was the throttleman for Jacoby that day, told me after the race that he had to run the boat's trim way over the edge to stay anywhere near us in the rough and in the calm water over the banks too. You have a great design there....very under rated in the high performance world.

I look forward to a ride in Key West and I will bring you one of the racers key chain mementos that were given to the racers at the Aronow race in June....photo below.

I will be down there with one of my new 24' banana boats with an outboard on a bracket on Friday, Saturday and Sunday for sure....send me your cell via the contact form on the Banana site and I'll stay in touch. www.bananaboatco.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails key chain0001.jpg   key chain0002.jpg   banana flyer0002.jpg  

8. Collapse Details

That's pretty cool!

Hey, those "Sonics" also run really good in the rough!! Very cool to see the lineage.

9. Collapse Details

Holy Chit Peter- I missed this one!! You are going to have Charlie run your boat!!!

Awesome!!

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MarylandMark View Post
    Holy Chit Peter- I missed this one!! You are going to have Charlie run your boat!!!

Awesome!!
    WOW, somebody are actually talking about running a boat

11. Collapse Details

Very cool Paradox. Glad some of the chatter and questions were able to be sorted out here and now you get to ride with guy who ''built'' your rig! How cool is that?! Enjoy Key West and be safe with Charlie

12. Collapse Details

It's waaaaaaay coooool.. It's gonna be a great time running a bit.
    Once we arrange the time.. etc. I will ask him and his "guests" if he/they won't mind me posting it here, if anyone wants to stop by, and say hello.

But it's up to "them" and I will be courtious and honorable with their privacy of course.
    Life is: what happens... when you plan something else.

13. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It's waaaaaaay coooool.. It's gonna be a great time running a bit.
    Once we arrange the time.. etc. I will ask him and his "guests" if he/they won't mind me posting it here, if anyone wants to stop by, and say hello.

But it's up to "them" and I will be courtious and honorable with their privacy of course.
    Certainly hope we get to see it, maybe you should race it Saturday. You'll have one of the best evers help. Is it too late to enter??

14. Collapse Details

We will be down on Thursday.....staying through Sunday. We will have one of my new 24 Banana Boats with an outboard on a bracket......photos below, so you will know what to look for......and we are staying where else, but Banana Bay Resort and Marina.

We have a reserved slip for the weekend at the Banana Bay Marina, and we will be out and around the harbor and outside the reef in our boat, but I'm really looking forward to giving that old bottom design a workout again in the waves off Key West.

Why don't we work out where all this will take place at the Serious Offshore party on Thursday night. Looking forward to seeing everyone there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010137.jpg   P1010147.jpg   Tampa Boat show 08 022.jpg  

Light travels faster than sound....that is why some people appear bright until we hear them speak!!

15. Collapse Details

Sounds great. We will schedule the ride at the party, Thursday.

I got s slip at the Bight Marina, (don't know what number yet)
    See everyone at the party.

16. Collapse Details

That is cool Paradox. You guys have fun and be safe.

17. Collapse Details

THanks SD. MM. NJ.. Rat.. etc.
    I'm looking forward to the ride.. It will be just a nice excursion.
    However.. Charlie will be at the helm for a while.. we might end up in Cuba.. Remember... he is a "true" offshore racer.. not much turning around bouyies. Just flat down.. FT.. untill he sees land again, before a turn...
    (I better check on my passport)

18. Collapse Details
    Smile
    THanks SD. MM. NJ.. Rat.. etc.
    I'm looking forward to the ride.. It will be just a nice excursion.
    However.. Charlie will be at the helm for a while.. we might end up in Cuba.. Remember... he is a "true" offshore racer.. not much turning around bouyies. Just flat down.. FT.. untill he sees land again, before a turn...
    (I better check on my passport)
    In the old days.....had to walk to school in the snow uphill both ways etc etc etc.......Seriously, we really did have some great racing back then at Key West.

We headed out of the harbor and went to the tower and took a left and ran up the coast 5 miles or so, then back into the harbor so the folks would know who was leading and then the fun began, the run to Dry Tortugas.....take a look at a map and you will really appreciate the distance....checkpoint off Dry Tortugas and back to the finish in the harbor.

One year Brownie was the far checkpoint in a big Magnum at Dry Tortugas, the water was so rough he couldn't get the anchor to catch, so he had to keep the engines running and stay on position until all the boats had passed or withdrawn.

Here is a little shot of Betty and Sammy James doing the Key West fly by. Pete, I am prety sure we can higher than this with your Avanti with the new power you have......just kidding!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bertram0002.jpg   Betty Cook 2070064.jpg  
    Light travels faster than sound....that is why some people appear bright until we hear them speak!!

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Top Banana View Post
    Pete, I am prety sure we can higher than this with your Avanti with the new power you have......just kidding!!!
    Double dog dare....

20. Collapse Details

You need a "pilot's license" to do that kind of flying. I don't have one.. I don't think I can pass the physical... or the mental for that matter.
    Getting the boat ready as we speak.. Doing a quick trial run this PM make sure everything is OK.

Looking forward to KW and our ride.

(I wonder where can a borrow a parachute? )