Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks T2x. Appreciate the info. Guess it's not an option for what I was thinking. Outstanding looking piece, though. You must have really enjoyed running them.

I have a friend who's looking at buying a SST45 boat and getting started. My wife won't let get back in, afraid I'll kill myself.....
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

2. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Twister 1...3 carb side exhaust....first Twister AKA "T-1"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bobby-Yellow-xx.jpg  
    Allergic to Nonsense

3. Collapse Details

If someone wants me to take a look at it for them, give me a call. I'm only 20 mins north of Port St Lucie
    Mike
    734-777-1878

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    Twister 1...3 carb side exhaust....first Twister AKA "T-1"
    Also known as a silo motor which was built out of Oshkosh engineering, Bob Morgan was in charge, he built the first prototypes, then Dave Bair and I built the rest. Later the bottom of the manifold was opened up and we bolted on open exhaust nicknammed cow bells, those were really cool motors. Remember Bair and I worked for Garbrecht at 20 wisconsin street in Oshkosh which was the OPC racing division. All the power head serial numbers from that era either started with DB or RP. That was when we had Bob Herring, Tom Stickle, Mike Downard, and Jim Merten as full time employees. Sub contract we had Sirois, Habe, Pruitt, Miles, Clark, percival,Molinari,Wilson, John Henry, Fountain, etc. Those were the days. Parker, Miami nationals, Havasau, Paris, Chasewater, etc etc etc. Great days great friends, sadly many lost their lives, or became crippled from those racing days.

5. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 7xchamp View Post
    Also known as a silo motor which was built out of Oshkosh engineering, Bob Morgan was in charge, he built the first prototypes, then Dave Bair and I built the rest. Later the bottom of the manifold was opened up and we bolted on open exhaust nicknammed cow bells, those were really cool motors. Remember Bair and I worked for Garbrecht at 20 wisconsin street in Oshkosh which was the OPC racing division. All the power head serial numbers from that era either started with DB or RP. That was when we had Bob Herring, Tom Stickle, Mike Downard, and Jim Merten as full time employees. Sub contract we had Sirois, Habe, Pruitt, Miles, Clark, percival,Molinari,Wilson, John Henry, Fountain, etc. Those were the days. Parker, Miami nationals, Havasau, Paris, Chasewater, etc etc etc. Great days great friends, sadly many lost their lives, or became crippled from those racing days.
    It is sad, but we all owe them a debt for bringing us this far. Wish we had the old group with the new equipment sometimes. All of us respected what you guys accomplished.

6. Collapse Details

Wilson ! Dave Wilson?
    Slippery when wet. PODLESS TUNNEL www.cheetahcat.com ,Repairs, Modifications and Truing Cheap reliable speed.

7. Collapse Details

8. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Audiofn View Post
    Nice, wonder what oil mix ratio he was using?

9. Collapse Details

Fond du Lac, WI Cheeseheads & Kiekhaefer Scarab KV Miami Vice LTD Formally Snap-On Tools Canada
    I still remember when Merton passed like it was yesterday. You still in the Oshkosh area?

10. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    Nice, wonder what oil mix ratio he was using?
    16:1 was the preferred mix back in the day.

T2x
    Allergic to Nonsense

11. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    16:1 was the preferred mix back in the day.

T2x
    Wow, stiff.

Would they make even more horsepower with today's better oils running at a lower ratio?

12. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    Wow, stiff.

Would they make even more horsepower with today's better oils running at a lower ratio?
    Maybe a little...... might run a bit cooler as well.

We ran them normally up to about 7200-7600 RPM as I recall...and the components were just about maxed out at that point. I had one engine which we built with a super secret resurfacing technology on the pistons, bearings and rings that had gobs more power than any other powerhead I ever ran (and I ran dozens)....... That engine spun up to 8500 RPM during a test lap at unbelievable speed and grenaded. The rods simply couldn't handle the stresses. By the way, I never achieved the same speed again on that hull (see photo)...even with the early V-6's(pictured).

I kept a spare T2x powerhead for a future coffee table, back in the 70's in a boatyard on Lake Hopatcong. I went back 10 years later and it was gone.

T2x
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tunnel_boat.jpg  
    Allergic to Nonsense

13. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Some of my other T2x hulls from back in the day.........

T2x
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails my pictures 098.jpg   my pictures 030.jpg   my pictures 284.jpg  

Allergic to Nonsense

14. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Maybe a little...... might run a bit cooler as well.

We ran them normally up to about 7200-7600 RPM as I recall...and the components were just about maxed out at that point. I had one engine which we built with a super secret resurfacing technology on the pistons, bearings and rings that had gobs more power than any other powerhead I ever ran (and I ran dozens)....... That engine spun up to 8500 RPM during a test lap at unbelievable speed and grenaded. The rods simply couldn't handle the stresses. By the way, I never achieved the same speed again on that hull (see photo)...even with the early V-6's(pictured).
    That's too bad. It would be fun to copy that and use today's rod technology to see if it would stay together. We've spun our RC motors over 20,000 rpm (real short stroke). Sounds like a project we could pull off and use to christian the Miami Boat Stadium when it's done..... Wanna drive?

I kept a spare T2x powerhead for a future coffee table, back in the 70's in a boatyard on Lake Hopatcong. I went back 10 years later and it was gone. T2x

That's too bad, do you still want one? We could all start lookin.

15. Collapse Details

ended at $3,440.00 reserve not met. Oh well maybe it will show up again.

16. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmic12 View Post
    ended at $3,440.00 reserve not met. Oh well maybe it will show up again.
    Figure 5-6 grand minimum.... on this engine.

God knows on a pristene T2x...... like me..
    Allergic to Nonsense

17. Collapse Details