Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Best ALL AROUND cat
    What is the best pleasure cat for all around use, poker runs, fun runs, day cruising, etc. I'm looking for;

Brand
    Size
    Power
    Drives
    Number of Seats
    Open or Canopy
    Misc.
    WHY?
    Warning: There will be no warning shots.

2. Collapse Details

44 MTI PR 900 or 1075 package #6's or BPM drives.
    8 seats, open.

Drives like it's on rails, the BPM rudder makes it turn like a go cart. Very stable, does run a little funky at 40-60 mph (bow steer).

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    44 MTI PR 900 or 1075 package #6's or BPM drives.
    8 seats, open.

Drives like it's on rails, the BPM rudder makes it turn like a go cart. Very stable, does run a little funky at 40-60 mph (bow steer).

Yup and I know one is for sale.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0544.jpg   Grand Lake Boats 018.jpg  

4. Collapse Details

46 skater, 55 MTI - now go get one - so i dont have to

5. Collapse Details

Make sure you run a Skater if you're thinking about buying one...

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Sea-Dated View Post
    Yup and I know one is for sale.
    just an observation, but i think everyone that has owned one of those has since gone to the sit down 4-6 seater, why is that

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    Make sure you run a Skater if you're thinking about buying one...
    Once, you run one you will want nothing else

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Wild View Post
    just an observation, but i think everyone that has owned one of those has since gone to the sit down 4-6 seater, why is that
    "One of those" as in the "MTI SUV"'s?

If so here is a good thread on them. Doesn't really answer your question but good reading none the less.

Lots of knowledge Other Site Out there so some links are going to happen until it is consolidated.

9. Collapse Details

i own both a 32 skater and a 31 american offshore i love them both

10. Collapse Details

Skater.

Is there anything else?

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gatorone View Post
    Once, you run one you will want nothing else
    Ditto on that BIG Daddy , catch up with a SKATER Bro and go for a ride

ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Collapse Details

What kind of nation is it Bill?

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by KnotRight View Post
    What kind of nation is it Bill?
    UT-OH BIG Daddy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MVC-003S.JPG  

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Gun View Post
    What is the best pleasure cat for all around use, poker runs, fun runs, day cruising, etc. I'm looking for;

Brand
    Size
    Power
    Drives
    Number of Seats
    Open or Canopy
    Misc.
    WHY?
    MTI
    1400hp Lycoming T53 turbines
    BPM and rudder
    8 seat PR cockpit w/cabin
    Open
    Wave crusher in the open ocean. Might be a problem finding dock space. Turbines will run on almost any fuel including biodiesel. If 55' is too big look at Rare Breed, a 44 with piston engines. Awesome boat.

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by catmando View Post
    MTI
    1400hp Lycoming T53 turbines
    BPM and rudder
    8 seat PR cockpit w/cabin
    Open
    Wave crusher in the open ocean. Might be a problem finding dock space. Turbines will run on almost any fuel including biodiesel. If 55' is too big look at Rare Breed, a 44 with piston engines. Awesome boat.
    Only thing missing here is the turbines. Has 4 1075s with sixes. Wonder how this handles large Lake Erie water

(pic borrowed from that Other Site Out there)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jaws.jpg  

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by inbetween View Post
    Only thing missing here is the turbines. Has 4 1075s with sixes. Wonder how this large Lake Erie water

(pic borrowed from that Other Site Out there)
    That was just my "to drool over" boat lol.

I don't think a 55 has been built with turbines yet. The only other one I know of is Dan Jackson's 55 with two 1075s. He says he runs over 130 with a buncha peeps and beer coolers.

As to whether the 55 could handle Lake Erie water, I think it can run over 100 in 5-7s.

17. Collapse Details

There is a 55 with turbines out there I believe it went across the border up north...I was at Supercat in the bilge when the Turbine was lowered in, So the info is first hand, however I dont believe it has been wet yet?

As far as the perfect boat goes?

I really like the 388 package Gatorone has, and power it with some 850 mercs, for re-sale, reliability, and fuels you can use (87 if needed). The propstop race 388 will run in the mid 130mph range on 525's so in pleasure form I would gear it for about 130 and tons of acceleration, because you are never going to be the fastest with that set up, but it would be fun on loto since we dont get many chances to string it out that long during the season....and the hundreds of times you have fun with the acceleration will outweight that elusive once a season big number......

Choice 2 would be the old bud select 46 skater with arnesons and a rudder with 4 seats in the canopy and turbine power it....

Choice 3 would be a 50 mystic canopied with the turbine set up

Choice 4 50 nor-tech set up just like canada thrust

if you are adding it to fleet and not replacing the gun, 28 skater or 32 Doug Wright....the bang for the buck cannot be beat the outboards are fuel efficient and you will get atleast 2 days a month in MO all winter you can go for a ride....no winterizing and the seat of the pants feel is un-real....

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse James View Post
    There is a 55 with turbines out there I believe it went across the border up north...I was at Supercat in the bilge when the Turbine was lowered in, So the info is first hand, however I dont believe it has been wet yet?

As far as the perfect boat goes?

I really like the 388 package Gatorone has, and power it with some 850 mercs, for re-sale, reliability, and fuels you can use (87 if needed). The propstop race 388 will run in the mid 130mph range on 525's so in pleasure form I would gear it for about 130 and tons of acceleration, because you are never going to be the fastest with that set up, but it would be fun on loto since we dont get many chances to string it out that long during the season....and the hundreds of times you have fun with the acceleration will outweight that elusive once a season big number......

Choice 2 would be the old bud select 46 skater with arnesons and a rudder with 4 seats in the canopy and turbine power it....

Choice 3 would be a 50 mystic canopied with the turbine set up

Choice 4 50 nor-tech set up just like canada thrust

if you are adding it to fleet and not replacing the gun, 28 skater or 32 Doug Wright....the bang for the buck cannot be beat the outboards are fuel efficient and you will get atleast 2 days a month in MO all winter you can go for a ride....no winterizing and the seat of the pants feel is un-real....
    Ok I stand corrected on the turbine 55. Lots of big iron going to Canada these days.

I like the 388 with Teague 1200s that Powerboat tested, but at almost $1mil there are bigger boats out there that cost not much more.

First time I saw that one it was Bacardi Silver. I had never seen a 46' cat up close, it was a monster. I remember the Corpus Christi race, Dave and JT just ran everybody down and lapped them, even on that 14-turn course. Dave said he was never so glad a race was over. He was exhausted.

Love the Mystic, best raceboat out there.

Canada Thrust broke one of its 6 drives at the Aronow Memorial race. They're not strong enough for the 1800hp T53-703 turbine.

Canopied 32 DW is the cat's ass!!

19. Collapse Details

I don't know if you're interested in outboards, but this 30ft Liberator is great on gas, has a cabin, seats six, tons of storage, probably has the biggest cockpit of any cat of any size, and has absolutely zero porpoise at any speed. Here's a link to the ad.
    http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...o23632-en.html

20. Collapse Details

38 doug wright....lol i know of one for sale.....
    Hi, Im Dave.. Welcome, glad to have ya.....