Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Collapse Details

Finished tearing out cabin.

I have heard many people talking about using Rustoleum in the bilge etc. so I thought I would do some testing here.
    It brightened up the cabin, sealed any exposed wood and will leave a good surface for the new carpet etc...
    Once fully dried I will do some chemical testing to check its durability with oil & cleaners etc. I will also use it in the storage comaprtmemts under the seats/liners etc.
    I was getting depressed about the project getting worse, at least now with the clean painted cabin I have the sense I am getting something positive done!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spyder 074.jpg   Spyder 085.jpg   Spyder 086.jpg  

2. Collapse Details

This is today, I am using cheap foam to mock up the windscreen and playing with hatch ideas. Hatch plan is to be a lightweight raised style with a couple aero scoops. Not that the boat needs it but I like the look.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spyder 105.jpg   Spyder 108.jpg   Spyder 109.jpg  

3. Collapse Details

Side project....
    I wanted some custom bilge vents so I decided to make my own. I found a plastic replica of what I wanted so I made a few molds off of it.
    This is my first attempt at mold making so don't laugh.
    After coating the plastic part with PVA I laid a few layers of mat strips overhanging the part, then flipped it over and continued to glass it to the board. After the resin kicked I removed the plastic part. I did this 3 times so I can make 3 parts at a time (or in case I screwed one up).
    Then some bondo style filler in the low spots and pin holes.
    BTW, don't laugh at my materials selection.. I am using up what I had laying around.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spyder vent 01.jpg   Spyder vent 03.jpg   Spyder vent 04.jpg  

4. Collapse Details

I then tinted some gel and shot a few coats on the part. This made the imperfections much easier to see! More filler and sanding and another few coats of gel. I am now waiting for my mold release wax to show up and I will be ready to start the actual part production.
    The carbon fiber dash panel details will be coming in a few days as well. My materials should be here in a day or so!

Since we are caught up with the pictures there won't be so many posts at once... Unless I have a good day and get on a roll!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spyder vent 08.jpg   Spyder vent 09.jpg   Spyder vent 10.jpg