1. Collapse Details
    World champion powerboat racer defies all odds to continue winning streak
    Blog Entries
    EASTLAKE, Ohio — People from all over the country were in northeast Ohio during the weekend for the Eastlake Ohio Grand Prix powerboat race hosted by the Offshore Powerboat Association.

Dozens of competitors took part in the race Sunday afternoon, including one of the most well-respected racers, Ed Smith.

Smith has been dominating the powerboat racing industry for nearly three decades after he got into the sport by chance.

“I met up with a couple guys, imagine that, in a bar, and they had a race that was cancelled," Smith said with a laugh. "One of the gentlemen that I’ve known that works on a boat, had bet me $5 that he could kick my butt on the water."

Not one to back down from a challenge, the Michigan native went out, bought a boat and competed in his first race nearly 30 years ago in Cleveland.

"Of course, I beat him at that race and he has never paid me $5," Smith joked. "Five boats later, I’m still into this, I got hooked.”

Five boats, three decades and countless world and national titles later, Smith said he wouldn't change a thing.

"It is my relaxation, I get into the boat, it’s 45 minutes to an hour when we race that I don’t think about anything," he explained. "You are real concentrated on the water conditions.”

Racers have to be concentrated during a race. With boat speeds going well over 100 miles per hour, a small mistake could be fatal.

In November 2020, Smith received personal news that flipped his world upside down. He was told he would never race again.

“I was diagnosed with throat cancer, it’s usually pretty intense, they give you a period of time where you are not going to be here anymore," Smith said. "I was only given four-to-six months to live. Mine was stage three going to stage four [cancer], but here I am.”

Despite the doctors suggestions, Smith continued to do what he loves, racing boats.

"I am proving them wrong, that you can succeed," he said. "Sitting back is no option.”

Right now, Smith is free of cancer.

"I opted to take a very aggressive treatment program. I did a treatment in 40 days," Smith explained. "Miraculously, after I did my CAT scan my cancer is gone.”

He now hopes to inspire others to live each day to the fullest.

“Sit down, and if there is something that you want to do I recommend you go do it," he said. "You could get a bad card, and all of the sudden poof, this is what happens."

Smith’s racing season may be followed on Facebook at Knucklehead Racing.

https://spectrumnews1.com/oh/columbu...fies-all-odds-

2. Collapse Details

Blog Entries

3. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Sure hope to see Ed in St Clair!
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!