Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Thinking about a shotgun
    I've been thinking that in the next few months I may want to get a shotgun.
    But, I know NOTHING about them.
    This would just be for a home protection thing.
    I have a limited knowledge of handguns, and currently have a 9mm Ruger.
    But I know many of you in the past have suggested that a shotgun is a better way to go - just the sound of racking it will usually scare off anyone that hears it.
    Also thinking that IF I'm going to be moving to the desert, I want a bit of protection, also thinking of Coyotes, or Javelinas (didn't know such a critter existed until I was doing some research this morning), and want to be able to protect my dogs.

Suggestions?? And what type of budget should I have for this?
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

2. Collapse Details

3. Collapse Details

Remington 870 express.

4. Collapse Details

for protection, I like anything with a pump-action, otherwise known as the "get-out" gun...they hear the pump and they get out!
    THROWBACK

5. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor glassdave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
    Remington 870 express.
    just picked up an 870 Magnum. My first gun, got it for home protection.
    Throttles- Cleveland Construction/Traffic Light Racing 377 Talon cat

6. Collapse Details

Remington 870 with the 18" smoothbore barrel and iron sights. You don't need lasers or magazine extensions and magnum loads are a waste of time. Buy ordinary 00 buckshot for home defense.

The reason this shotgun is ideal-

Pump action- scary noise and absolute reliability

Buckshot- pistol ammo can over-penetrate. A 9mm will go thru your drywall and vinyl siding and kill your neighbor.

9 pellets means your aim is less-critical. If you do have to use it, your skill level (especially under pressure) matters less.

A good tactical light mounted to the weapon is a definite asset. It's not unusual for someone's drunken teenager to be mistaken for an intruder.

You should be able to find a nice used one for $300.

7. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I use the Winchester 1300 defender 12 guage. The extension holds plenty of shells in case of a mob break-in.

The pump action is a distinct noise that all officers recommend.

I load with short base on the first two shells in 2 3/4" in case the wife needs to use it. Then two reg 2 3/4, balance then 3" mags. Not sure why, just makes me feel better knowing she won't have a major issue with the kick in a tense situation and I can blow through the shells and do major messing with the mags. From practice, the low base 2 3/4" kick less than the regular load in the 20 guage defender.

8. Collapse Details

this is what I have its the Marine Magnum Remington 870

A highly durable 12-gauge utility gun that resists corrosion on land or water. Electroless nickel plating covers all metal, including the inside of the barrel and receiver. The synthetic stock has generous checkering for positive control. Comes with 18" Cylinder barrel with single-bead front sight, six-round magazine, padded Cordura® and sling swivel studs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 870marinemag[1a].jpg  

9. Collapse Details

Remington 870 Express 12 or the Mossberg 500 Persuader. I own them both. Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 50440.jpg   870expsyn18.jpg  
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: Jesus Christ and the
    American Military. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

10. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardey View Post
    Remington 870 Express 12 or the Mossberg 500 Persuader. I own them both. Dave
    The mossberg is a real nice gun for the money. They go on sale fairly cheap at the major sporting goods stores up here.

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Remington 870 with the 18" smoothbore barrel and iron sights. You don't need lasers or magazine extensions and magnum loads are a waste of time. Buy ordinary 00 buckshot for home defense.

The reason this shotgun is ideal-

Pump action- scary noise and absolute reliability

Buckshot- pistol ammo can over-penetrate. A 9mm will go thru your drywall and vinyl siding and kill your neighbor.

9 pellets means your aim is less-critical. If you do have to use it, your skill level (especially under pressure) matters less.

A good tactical light mounted to the weapon is a definite asset. It's not unusual for someone's drunken teenager to be mistaken for an intruder.

You should be able to find a nice used one for $300.

This sounds about what I'm looking for.
    A gun I never actually intend to use.
    Price is about what I was expecting.
    Suggestions of where to buy?
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

12. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Gun shows are the best up here.

13. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buoy View Post
    This sounds about what I'm looking for.
    A gun I never actually intend to use.
    Price is about what I was expecting.
    Suggestions of where to buy?
    He made some great points. especially the light

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post

I load with short base on the first two shells in 2 3/4" in case the wife needs to use it. Then two reg 2 3/4, balance then 3" mags. Not sure why, just makes me feel better knowing she won't have a major issue with the kick in a tense situation and I can blow through the shells and do major messing with the mags. From practice, the low base 2 3/4" kick less than the regular load in the 20 guage defender.
    While not directly identical, there have been prosecutions for premeditation resulting from staggering ammo in a weapon. One in particular where the defendant loaded in sequence buckshot and slugs. He was found guilty. Sometimes when you have an iffy jury, all it takes is one little thing to push them one way or another. Even when the statutory laws are on your side, an idealistic and over-zealous prosecutor can ruin your life. And they have deep resources. A decent defense could cost you six-figures plus- if you can scrape it together.

15. Collapse Details

Gander Mountain usually gas a rack full of trade-in guns. Especially this time of year in the midwest. Deer season is gone and with the Christmas trades, they may be deep in used pieces. Local gun shops see alot of these guns as well- often on consignment. Check gunbroker.com for pricing guidance.

16. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    While not directly identical, there have been prosecutions for premeditation resulting from staggering ammo in a weapon. One in particular where the defendant loaded in sequence buckshot and slugs. He was found guilty. Sometimes when you have an iffy jury, all it takes is one little thing to push them one way or another. Even when the statutory laws are on your side, an idealistic and over-zealous prosecutor can ruin your life. And they have deep resources. A decent defense could cost you six-figures plus- if you can scrape it together.
    Did he shoot in the back or was it in the house?

Thanks for the heads-up by the way.

17. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Would my umbrella policy cover that? I'll have to read it. Don't ever plan on needing anything for this but, if in that situation, don't plan on thinking about it until after.

18. Collapse Details

cant beat Wal-Mart either if your buying new

'When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.'
    ~ Henny Youngman

19. Collapse Details

I would take the remington over the mossberg.

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    Did he shoot in the back or was it in the house?

Thanks for the heads-up by the way.
    No, it was a clean shooting. The prosecutor painted a picture for the jury that this was an overly-abitious gun nut that hoped and dreamed for the opportunity to shoot someone. As they say, a story is all in the way you tell it. A guy with a bunch of guns and a stockpile of ammo can be painted to be a dedicated enthusiast or a fringe nutjob, depending on who's holding the paintbrush.

As I've repeated over and over, the typical burglar is unarmed and looking to steal something easy that he can sell quick and pocket a few bucks. They're not difficult to dissuade (lights, etc) and easy to scare off (shouting, that shotgun sound). Scaring them off is definitely in your best interests. But like the nutty guy that killed his ex and her whole family and then blow-torched the entire house, you're better off in court than in a casket.

The rule of thumb for a home defense weapon- there's nothing more useless than an unloaded weapon. The second most useless thing is having that weapon on the other side of the person looking to do you harm.