LAKELAND — After an unruffled Saturday, and some good “old fashioned” boat racing in the 81st annual Orange Cup Regatta at Lake Hollingsworth, it only took one lap into Sunday’s first championship race for things to take a wild turn.

Chris Rinker piloting in the OPC Formula 150 class, flipped his outboard capsule boat, but fortunately was not hurt.

“I felt the boat was a little light on the (fourth) turn and trimmed down, but it started to become airborne,” the 49-year-old Rinker said. “Then rolled up completely over and it seemed like I was in slow motion (upside down) and it was such a surreal moment.”

Chris didn’t realize it but his 1,050-pound apparatus had cleared Jeff Shepherd’s boat.

“I saw Jeff over my right shoulder as I went over him (but we never touched),” Rinker said. “I landed hard and was upright and throttled back.”

Rinker said his engine was still running and gave some throttle and thought he could continue. When the black flag came out to stop the entire race, he knew his chances to continue were slim.

Shepherd’s cowling enclosure came off as Rinker went airborne, but it was retrieved and Shepherd went on to finish third.

“There was minor damage and they (judges) decided It wouldn’t be safe,” Rinker said. “This was my very first race in this category. I’ve been a pretty clean and conservative driver since starting at 16 (years old). Just glad I didn’t get hurt.”

The 16-lap race resumed, with the start of the second lap and Chris’ cousin, Ashton Rinker, who had led the first lap, continued his domination of the event and won easily.

“We started strong primarily because we changed props,” said Ashton. “It gave us the speed we didn’t have yesterday (in qualifying).”

The win was worth 400 points toward a seasonal championship in the American power boating class.

Paul Reid, who has been racing boats since 1959, and now at 74 continues to get a thrill of making “rooster tails” in the water, finished first in the Sportsman
Advanced class in one of four three-lap races.

Officials said almost 90 percent of some classes were eliminated after Saturday because of mechanical failures and the inability to get boats ready to race.

Reid was too fast on the straightaways with his 498-cubic inch engine in the flat-bottom craft that beat Dustin Daily of Jacksonville, N.C., by two seconds.

“I have two full-time jobs,” said Reid, who won all four of his heats. “Racing and teaching environmental skills to prisoners all over New York State.”

Daniel Upton, a 23-year-old rookie, won for the first time the in larger National Modified boats. He had a 3:04,95 for three laps, beating an opponent by three seconds.

“This the most exciting thing I have done,” Upton said. “I give all the credit to my grandfather (Tony Stalter).”

81st ORANGE CUP REGATTA

Lake Hollingsworth, Championships Sunday

OPC FORMULA 150 (16 laps): 1. Ashton Rinker, Riverview, Fl. 2. Durr Frederick, Port Charlotte, Fl., 3., Jeff Sheperd, Woodlawn, Ten., 4. Jeff Merten Oshkosh, Wi. 5. Jeff Reno, Okeechobee, Fl.,(Owners earn APBA points for finishes; no times or owners listed).

5 LITRE (5 laps): : 1.Andrew Tate, Cantin, Mich.,(Budget Buster Racing), 3:14.32. 2>Donny Allen, Neenah, Wis., (Richard Hearn, Dayton, Ohio), 3:20.10/. 3. Paul Barber, Ottawa, Calif., 3:26.01. 4. Jared Behrman, Evansville, Ind., 3:50..02. (Owners not listed).

2.5 Litre Stock (5 laps): 1.John Shaw, Md., (Doug Martin, Purcellville, Vir.), 3:53.47. 2. Bobby King, Wales, Mich.(Alfred Thompson, Seaford, Del.) 3:55.44. 3. Grant Hearn, Oakwood, Ohio, 4:04.89. 4. D. Keth Ficket, Dayton, Ohio, 4:27.17. (Owners in parenthesis; if not, driver owned).

SE Stock: (3 laps) 1. James Clauss, Mickleton, NJ,3:13.89. 2. Katelyn Shaw, Landing, NJ, 3:22.87.

SA Stock: (3 laps) 1. Paul Reid, Amhurst,NY, 2:21.72. 2. Dale Hernandez, Jrs., St. Paul, Minn., (Katelyn Shaw, Landing, NJ) 2:23.78.

National Mod: (3 laps): 1. Daniel Upton, Atlanta, Ga.,3:04.95. 2. JaredBehrman, Evansville, Ind., 3:07.56.

2.5 Mod: (3 laps): 1. Jim Aid, Largo, Fl., (Norman Cameron, St. Petersburg), 2:28.43. 2. Richard Wilhelm, Boca Raton, Fl., 2:29.07.

Jersey Speed Skiffs: (5 laps): 1. Michele Morgan, Pelham, NH,(Tom Pakradooni, Glen Mills, ;Pa.) 5:05.67. 2. Katelyn Shaw, Landing, NJ, (Mike Buturla, Pompano Beach, Fl.) 5:09.07. 3. William Darby/Kenneth King (Matt Santomerina) 5:11.88. 4. Kevin Kreitzer, Beaver Creek, Ohio (David Greenlaw, Jr., Turnersville, NJ) 6:06.07. (First name is pilot, second name is rider).

https://www.theledger.com/sports/201...lip-and-relief