Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Legends, Icons, and History at the Miami Boat Show 2016
    Blog Entries
    This year at the Miami Boat Show we were once again privileged to have time to visit with some of those who built the sport we all love so much.

This first shot is one many would dream of being part of, from left to right:

Bobby Saccenti, Legend of the Apache Golden Throttle Arm,
    Member, JJ Apache
    Member, Fundrazor
    Member, Bobcat
    Charlie McCarthy, Legend of the Top Banana

Bobcat and Fundrazor were smilingly happy. But, there was more to come;

2. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    So, Bobby and Charlie had a couple of their other friends there.

When Fundrazor was called and told to get over here, he had no idea who he would ever be able to meet this group at the same time, in person.

From left to right:

Member, Fundrazor, here-after forever known as "Kid in Candy Store"
    Charlie McCarthy, Serious Icon and Offshore Legend of Banana Boat Fame
    Gail Paik, Legendary Apache Graphics Designer and Painter
    Tommy Evans, Legendary Apache Builder and Navigator
    Member, Scarab KV in the background
    Bobby Saccenti, Serious Icon and Legendary Apache Designer, Builder, and Throttleman

So in this photo, chatting with Fundrazor, he has the designer of his boat, the builder of his boat, and the painter of his boat. Pretty incredible since his boat was built in 1988 I believe.

3. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Here is a photo of Fuyndrazor's boat showing the paint designed, and applied, by Gail way back in 1988.

4. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    John is tall enough where he almost always looks like he's photo-bombing!!

Here, besides those in earlier pictures, we have added the Apache girl herself, Member "Lucy" Bosma and Member "Magnum Mark" Gewirtz, AkA "Mr Marine" from Fond du Lac Wisconsin.

5. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    One of the new things we learned at this gathering of Legends, Gail painted an Apache Indian Head profile somewhere in the paint job of every Apache she designed and painted. We are sure Fundrazor is looking for his as we type.

Bobby and Tommy had a nickname for the series of Apaches painted similar to Fundrazors, the Blob Boats.

I guess they were ahead of their time??????

6. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Scarab KV with Bobby and Charlie.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Serious News View Post
    Scarab KV with Bobby and Charlie.

Some how, I am glad I did not get to the show this year - Looks like everyone is bundled up - Thought Miami was warm !
    Here it was 62 degrees yesterday- a Tropical Heat wave here ! Great seeing Bobby Saccenti - he looks younger every year - a great competitor and friend - You too Charlie - but I did not see Edgar Bergen ! haha ! Thanks for posting the photos Paul !

Phil

8. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Now this picture is an interesting one. It is where Tommy is explaining to all of us about the sky-and-stuff in the Banner Apache we are all so familiar with in the video below. As Tommy puts it; they were running along nice and sweet, Bobby on the throttles Ben driving, when Ben decided they weren't going fast enough. So, he reached over, put his hand over Bobby's on the throttles, and pushed the sticks as far forward as they would go and held them there. So, because the boat was now coming off the waves with the bow down, he saw Bobby start to trim the drives out. Tap, tap, tap, and they started to skim across the tops of the waves. But, they caught a bad one.

So, Tommy said he crouched down as he saw what was about to happen first. Both Bobby and Ben looked at him as if to ask, "What are you doing down there". Then, they looked up and the "Oh ****" look appeared and they crouched and braced too.

They boat flew, almost stuffed, but came out fine overall and off they went no problem.

9. Collapse Details

Blog Entries

10. Collapse Details

Nice Video - looks very familiar ! - Notice the "Wind screen" that enters the video from the left, watch it move in and out of the frame, yet the boat stays centered. The "wind screen" is attached to the helicopter, so it shows the movement of the whole helicopter which was being buffetted by strong winds - The Camera mount we used helps to reduce the motion of the helicopter, keeping the subject (boat) in frame, however you can imagine how much the helicopter is moving around by looking at how the windscreen moves around in the frame.

Looking back, the helicopter got in front of the boat, which caused the helicopters rotor wash to affect the boats stability, so thats why when it became airborne, it turned to the right !

Our camera mount had the ability to look straight backwards, so that is how we got that shot -

It was a TEAM effort - Great Pilot, exciting narration !

11. Collapse Details

Thanks for the great footage. "It's one of those Waves" love it

12. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Now this may be the one where Bobby was telling us about his first offshore race. As I recall, and I'll double check, he was asked by a friend if he wanted to go for boatride at a race, and Bobby said "Why not". So, approximately 70 miles later they made the turn at the Dry Tortugas to come back to the start finish, Bobby was beat to crap and said never again. Lucky for all of us, he changed his mind.

Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

13. Collapse Details

Icon/Founding Member Top Banana's Avatar
    Rhode Island - Summers / Florida - Winters
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    Now this may be the one where Bobby was telling us about his first offshore race. As I recall, and I'll double check, he was asked by a friend if he wanted to go for boatride at a race, and Bobby said "Why not". So, approximately 70 miles later they made the turn at the Dry Tortugas to come back to the start finish, Bobby was beat to crap and said never again. Lucky for all of us, he changed his mind.

The "Friend" Bobby referred to was none other than Don Aronow. Here is a photo of the boat he was in that day, BLONDE. They won the race besting none other than Doc Magoon and Gene Lanham. Pretty good start to a great career. One more time it just shows Don Aronow knew how to pick out talent and then give that talent an opportunity to shine with one of his boats.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28g3.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	198.2 KB 
ID:	81074
    Light travels faster than sound....that is why some people appear bright until we hear them speak!!

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by NNRT View Post
    Some how, I am glad I did not get to the show this year - Looks like everyone is bundled up - Thought Miami was warm !
    Here it was 62 degrees yesterday- a Tropical Heat wave here ! Great seeing Bobby Saccenti - he looks younger every year - a great competitor and friend - You too Charlie - but I did not see Edgar Bergen ! haha ! Thanks for posting the photos Paul !

Phil
    Phil The quip about Edgar Bergen really shows your age, most of the people here won't realize he was a Production class racer, not Open class. Good to see you are still healthy and witty. Best.
    Light travels faster than sound....that is why some people appear bright until we hear them speak!!

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Top Banana View Post
    Phil The quip about Edgar Bergen really shows your age, most of the people here won't realize he was a Production class racer, not Open class. Good to see you are still healthy and witty. Best.
    to you as well Charlie !

16. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Production Class Racer. Too funny!!
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

17. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Banana View Post
    The "Friend" Bobby referred to was none other than Don Aronow. Here is a photo of the boat he was in that day, BLONDE. They won the race besting none other than Doc Magoon and Gene Lanham. Pretty good start to a great career. One more time it just shows Don Aronow knew how to pick out talent and then give that talent an opportunity to shine with one of his boats.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28g3.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	198.2 KB 
ID:	81074
    Heard from Bobby. He sent me this.

18. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    And these:

Paul
    I thought you would like to see theses actual pictures of my first race and water conditions going to the Dry Tortugas 1973.
    The boat is a 36' Cigarette "Blonde" owned by Roger Hanks. That's me on the right hand side with the BIG eyeballs showing thru my helmet

Don Aronow was the one that asked me to full the third seat for that race. I was working for him at the time.

Race: Hennessy Grand prix 1973 Key West Florida

Thank You

Bob

19. Collapse Details

And these:

Paul
    I thought you would like to see theses actual pictures of my first race and water conditions going to the Dry Tortugas 1973.
    The boat is a 36' Cigarette "Blonde" owned by Roger Hanks. That's me on the right hand side with the BIG eyeballs showing thru my helmet

Don Aronow was the one that asked me to full the third seat for that race. I was working for him at the time.

Race: Hennessy Grand prix 1973 Key West Florida

Thank You

Bob

OK 36 foot boat climbing the face of that wave......How big was the wave?????

And second question.....Are there ever waves that big on the current race courses in Key West? How about close?

Just saying...

20. Collapse Details

Founding Member/Contributor Sean Stinson's Avatar
    Bobby told me to take a look as I would know a few people in these pictures and he was correct.....great shots and I'm sure I missed a hell of a time somewhere along the line...
    God forgives.....The 1% doesn't!!!!!!