1. Collapse Details
    Speedmaster to TRS...
    Registered
    I recently purchased an old classic race boat (32 Cary/ Beep Beep), that was originally rigged full stagger with Speedmaster #3's. My original intent was to fill in the transom and re-key for two TRS drives with big blocks that I currently own. The first issue that came up is that the TRS transom plates are massive compared what was on the boat, and will not allow tight enough spacing between them to take advantage of being able to move the motors in.

In looking at the job the transom plates for TRS drives need to do... which is not much other than mounting and securing the drives, does anyone see any reason I can't just machine my own plates from 1/2" or 3/4" billet aluminum?

I'm really not into blowing a wad on finding some decent Speedmasters since I already own a good set of TRS drives, and I really don't want to side by side the motor setup just so the drives fit. Any alternatives, comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Personally, I'd look into selling the TRS's, many people need them for parts etc, and look at putting in Bravo's. A 32' boat is light enough so the well-built Bravo's won't break and the long term ability to maintain the boat should be tremendously better. Also drive height would be greatly improved. Many spacer kits and short drives are there for the Bravo whereas the #3 and TRS have both been discontinued and I'd be worried about the drive depth on the TRS. Typically they were way down, as were the early Speedmaster setups.

Before you decide, get the measurement of the transom hole drive heights. You don't want to own a sweet looking high-performance pig if the drive is way too deep.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!