Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Ross Focht and what is now Ocean Express is who you guys are thinking of.
    I think GlassDave would know some history here.
    Slippery when wet. PODLESS TUNNEL www.cheetahcat.com ,Repairs, Modifications and Truing Cheap reliable speed.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    I think I gave you the "real" story on this boat in my earlier post. As far as when it first came out for Government use...it was never taken seriously as a "high speed interdiction craft" ...simply because it couldn't successfully "interdict". The meer fact that a hull has no stress cracks means solid construction and, in this case, little else. In actuality after the government backed out of the deal.....nobody else wanted any....

To me it is sort of the "Edsel" of performance boats...it attracts a certain group based on it's "quirkiness".....but has little real appeal. There were some similar sized cats built in Michigan over the years (I'm having a senior moment on the manufacturer's name, but one model was licensed by Baja) that were equally "stable" and performed better IMHO..... Buy one of them.

T2x

Here ya go. http://www.oceanexpress.com/ They are still in buisness.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Ross Focht and what is now Ocean Express is who you guys are thinking of.
    Ocean Express in Algonac, MI built some of the earliest fast cats. Actually won some national titles...

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by smokin' joe View Post
    Ocean Express in Algonac, MI built some of the earliest fast cats. Actually won some national titles...
    In 1983 Bob Kehrig won the Key West Worlds in the Active cat named Cougar, & later called the Motor City MAGIC. We later made a pleasure cat out of her for Bob in 1986. Also In 1986 Bob had a new MAGIC 33' Image built, that I helped set up & race.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Magic # 1.jpg   Magic Couger.jpg   magic.jpg  

5. Collapse Details

Two "Image" cat builders back then. Image in Algonac began in the 70's. Then came Image/Shadow.
    Last edited by OneBadInjun; 09-05-2009 at 06:51 PM.

6. Collapse Details

I saw one tied up at Highport, on Texoma, about 3 years ago. The cockpit was bigger than my living room.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by OneBadInjun View Post
    Two "Image" cat builders back then. Image in Algonac began in the 70's. Then came Image/Shadow.
    Active became Image around 1985, than later Ocean Express, all by Ross from Algonac Mi. The East Coast Image 30' Shadow cat was first around 1980..

8. Collapse Details

And 2 world titles in 83'

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BUTCH RYAN View Post
    And 2 world titles in 83'

Butch I was hoping you would chime in, I didnt want to take your thunder on your 1983 world title In your Active cat...

10. Collapse Details

Having seen the 'b.itchin' cat in person, I think it's a cool old boat despite its lack of innovative engineering.
    Unstoppable f'n terror.

11. Collapse Details

I posted this before, but it is worth repeating. When Aronow built the USA cat, it was in the old Scottiecraft/Signature/Pantera building. I was up the street at Cougar. He came roaring up the street in his 560SL with the top down, and said "Jump in"! He drove wide open down the street, and slid into the parking lot, facing the building. When he beeped his horn, the employees opened the door, and there was this weird boat. "What do you think"? he asked. "Damn, Don, this may be a real breakthrough boat. It may be the first one to have all of the bad habits of a cat AND a vee". "Good! If you don't like it, it is gonna be a good boat".

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by h2oMag View Post
    In 1983 Bob Kehrig won the Key West Worlds in the Active cat named Cougar, & later called the Motor City MAGIC. We later made a pleasure cat out of her for Bob in 1986. Also In 1986 Bob had a new MAGIC 33' Image built, that I helped set up & race.
    Brownie will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Cougar is actually a Cougar, not an Active. He probably made it.

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    Brownie will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Cougar is actually a Cougar, not an Active. He probably made it.
    Nope, That Black cat that has Cougar painted on it a few posts up is an active, Is that the one your refering too?

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    It is a 33' Active cat, Ross made two sizes back then, a 33' & 37'. I also had a 33' Active with KAAMA drives that I bought from Pete Smith [WOLVERINE]. Pete had Ross build him a pleasure 33' cat also, & Betty Cook set him up with her new KAAMA drives, back in the day...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Active ocean%20express%20ca%202.jpg  

15. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    I recall being told that Ross was licensed by Cougar to build his original cats with their designs.

T2x
    Allergic to Nonsense

16. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by h2oMag View Post
    Active became Image around 1985, than later Ocean Express, all by Ross from Algonac Mi. The East Coast Image 30' Shadow cat was first around 1980..
    We started Image Boat Co of New Jersey, the creator of the Shadow Cats in 1978........ The Shadow Cat debuted in 1980.

T2x
    Allergic to Nonsense

17. Collapse Details

Interesting info!