Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by redhotsommer View Post
    Art could've raced us all this summer on the way to the Chicago Scene Party in 5-7s...he'd have kicked ALL of our azzes! Thankfully, he left late!

I have a picture of Btchn' from when I was in high school...I've always thought the name fit the boat quite well.
    yes, your are correct Sir!

I left Hammond in my Formula 402, along side "Art" in his 39 cat. It was wicked rough water. I was *****foot'en the boat, trying to maintain about 30-35mph, without breaking something, and doing my best to keep up with the cat. Once we got close to our destination, Art dropped the hammer. Watching that cat get stood up on its ass a few times was just awesome, the amount of water spray from that tank busting thru 6ft+ swells was ridiculous. He has owned that boat for about 15 years, and isnt afraid to take it out in any conditions. Not a spider crack anywhere in that boat. Anywhere.

Once things settled down, we rafted up together. I was busy for about 20 minutes cleaning up debris from my cabin, that had fell, broke, etc. Climbed out of my cabin, and there was "Art", relaxing in the sun with his second beer! Sometimes having a bare cabin full of bulkheads has its advantages!

2. Collapse Details

I love not having a cabin!

I always liked the blue thunder boats. There is something to be said for the Aronow wave crushers.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER View Post
    yes, your are correct Sir!

I left Hammond in my Formula 402, along side "Art" in his 39 cat. It was wicked rough water. I was *****foot'en the boat, trying to maintain about 30-35mph, without breaking something, and doing my best to keep up with the cat. Once we got close to our destination, Art dropped the hammer. Watching that cat get stood up on its ass a few times was just awesome, the amount of water spray from that tank busting thru 6ft+ swells was ridiculous. He has owned that boat for about 15 years, and isnt afraid to take it out in any conditions. Not a spider crack anywhere in that boat. Anywhere.

Once things settled down, we rafted up together. I was busy for about 20 minutes cleaning up debris from my cabin, that had fell, broke, etc. Climbed out of my cabin, and there was "Art", relaxing in the sun with his second beer! Sometimes having a bare cabin full of bulkheads has its advantages!

Thanks for sharing the pics & story. That has to be the nicest one I have seen!
    Jr.

4. Collapse Details

I agree. Keep the pics & stories coming. I have not heard much about these boat except all of the negatives. I would love to hear more about how they handle.

5. Collapse Details

I was asking Art about it this summer...he said it is hull #4 out of 12...like Joe said, he's owned the thing forever...I would imagine it's got to be one of the cleanest old boats out there...

6. Collapse Details

Very cool old resin buckets.

Would love to see one in person some time.

7. Collapse Details

My buddy has one. Twin 575HP motors and #3's. Boat runs mid to upper 60's. However, it is a wave crusher!
    Could this be the same boat?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Agfa_Iii__1984_.jpg  

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Mange View Post
    Could this be the same boat?
    Cool pic Mange. It definitly looks like the same boat. Where was that shot taken???

9. Collapse Details

If anyone might be interested, my buddy may be selling it. As stated, its super clean, and comes with the Target Trailer.

10. Collapse Details

If anyone might be interested, my buddy may be selling it. As stated, its super clean, and comes with the Target Trailer.
    Very cool, old school cat.

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Edward R. Cozzi View Post
    The U.S. Customs guys loved them because they were dry and stable in rough seas. They came off their shifts in much better shape than with a conventional V-bottom. The originals had #3 SSM and 575 HP 540's. Customs left them in the water all the time and the #3's gotten eaten alive. Keith Hazell made a good living just keeping them operational.
    My dad was Keith's shop manager and maintained all the customs boats. Eaten alive is an understatement
    1978 21 Challenger
    1985 Avanti Raceboat
    1998 Kryptonite 27 Raceboat #517 Saris Racing Engines

12. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by whataworld51 View Post
    Very cool, old school cat.
    Not exactly "old school" given that it was designed and built after the Cougars, Shadows, some Conquests, and even the early 24" Skater. IMHO it had more to do with Aronow's later years' arrogance in which he took any old junk plugs laying around and put together "new" labels (Squadron, USA Racing, Aronow, etc....). and....it also showcased his complete lack of understanding and interest in the cat arena. If you really wanted to catch somebody on the high seas, the Popeye's and Maggie's Mercruiser Special Aluminum Cougars were actually designed and built before this hunk of junk. and could have eaten up any drug running hulls of the period.

The USA hull broke no evolutinary ground....much less revolutionary...... The fact that it is stable in big seas is really more of a testament to the simple fact that it was a big blob rather than anything to do with "design" ....or in this case....lack thereof. In reality it has all of the performance of a pontoon boat.

Face it....he suckered Bush Senior.....and the "Federal by God Guvmint" into buying a slow sled...... and then tried to foist the company off on the next big checkbook to come along..(The essential Aronow business plan from day one)..... Unfortunately for Big Don... in this case he simply picked the wrong checkbook.

T2x
    Allergic to Nonsense

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    Not exactly "old school" given that it was designed and built after the Cougars, Shadows, some Conquests, and even the early 24" Skater. IMHO it had more to do with Aronow's later years' arrogance in which he took any old junk plugs laying around and put together "new" labels (Squadron, USA Racing, Aronow, etc....). and....it also showcased his complete lack of understanding and interest in the cat arena. If you really wanted to catch somebody on the high seas, the Popeye's and Maggie's Mercruiser Special Aluminum Cougars were actually designed and built before this hunk of junk. and could have eaten up any drug running hulls of the period.

The USA hull broke no evolutinary ground....much less revolutionary...... The fact that it is stable in big seas is really more of a testament to the simple fact that it was a big blob rather than anything to do with "design" ....or in this case....lack thereof. In reality it has all of the performance of a pontoon boat.

Face it....he suckered Bush Senior.....and the "Federal by God Guvmint" into buying a slow sled...... and then tried to foist the company off on the next big checkbook to come along..(The essential Aronow business plan from day one)..... Unfortunately for Big Don... in this case he simply picked the wrong checkbook.

T2x

Wow, I never thought of the cigarette 36, 38, 39, or any of the older Hulls as "junk" as you called them. There is no doubt that there were faster, better designed cats built in that era. Whatever triggered this hull to be produced, is kinda irrelevant. Having been in this hull in big water, it is incredibly stable, and in its 24 years, there is not one stress crack, or even a gelcoat crack. The few times I have seen this boat run in the water we did, there was no cougar, skater, or shadows blowing by us in 6-7ft' washing machine lake michigan water. I know that if I had pushed my 40FT heavy Formula V that day, I would have most likely busted a stringer or split a bulkhead. I dont know of too many pontoons that outride a 38 V bottom! Although they are not fast for a cat, it is comparable speed wise to a 38 Flatdeck or Mistress, which aint to bad considering its almost a 13FT wide boat!

14. Collapse Details

Wow, I never thought of the cigarette 36, 38, 39, or any of the older Hulls as "junk" as you called them. There is no doubt that there were faster, better designed cats built in that era. Whatever triggered this hull to be produced, is kinda irrelevant. Having been in this hull in big water, it is incredibly stable, and in its 24 years, there is not one stress crack, or even a gelcoat crack. The few times I have seen this boat run in the water we did, there was no cougar, skater, or shadows blowing by us in 6-7ft' washing machine lake michigan water. I know that if I had pushed my 40FT heavy Formula V that day, I would have most likely busted a stringer or split a bulkhead. I dont know of too many pontoons that outride a 38 V bottom! Although they are not fast for a cat, it is comparable speed wise to a 38 Flatdeck or Mistress, which aint to bad considering its almost a 13FT wide boat!
    "Wow, I never thought of the cigarette 36, 38, 39, or any of the older Hulls as "junk" as you called them."

Where were Exactly these Boats refered too as Junk ??
    Slippery when wet. PODLESS TUNNEL www.cheetahcat.com ,Repairs, Modifications and Truing Cheap reliable speed.

15. Collapse Details

There is no need to get in a pi$$ing match over this hull....again. Everyone on here knows it is not a breakthrough design. In fact, we know it was designed from old molds just laying around and pieced together by the worlds best salesman. that being said, they are still a cool piece of offshore history and a great rough water party platform that I would love to have just for that reason. You guys that were around when it was first built, T2x and Steve1, know the real story on this boat. Most of us also know that it is a pig but a cool one at that. Do you guys have any stories about the boat when it first came out? Performance stories? Build Stories?

16. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wstultz View Post
    There is no need to get in a pi$$ing match over this hull....again. Everyone on here knows it is not a breakthrough design. In fact, we know it was designed from old molds just laying around and pieced together by the worlds best salesman. that being said, they are still a cool piece of offshore history and a great rough water party platform that I would love to have just for that reason. You guys that were around when it was first built, T2x and Steve1, know the real story on this boat. Most of us also know that it is a pig but a cool one at that. Do you guys have any stories about the boat when it first came out? Performance stories? Build Stories?
    I think I gave you the "real" story on this boat in my earlier post. As far as when it first came out for Government use...it was never taken seriously as a "high speed interdiction craft" ...simply because it couldn't successfully "interdict". The meer fact that a hull has no stress cracks means solid construction and, in this case, little else. In actuality after the government backed out of the deal.....nobody else wanted any....

To me it is sort of the "Edsel" of performance boats...it attracts a certain group based on it's "quirkiness".....but has little real appeal. There were some similar sized cats built in Michigan over the years (I'm having a senior moment on the manufacturer's name, but one model was licensed by Baja) that were equally "stable" and performed better IMHO..... Buy one of them.

T2x
    Allergic to Nonsense

17. Collapse Details

Thanks for your insight.

18. Collapse Details

Quote: [To me it is sort of the "Edsel" of performance boats...it attracts a certain group based on it's "quirkiness".....but has little real appeal. There were some similar sized cats built in Michigan over the years (I'm having a senior moment on the manufacturer's name, but one model was licensed by Baja) that were equally "stable" and performed better IMHO..... Buy one of them]

They were called Active, and later Image cats. I believe Image built all the cats for Baja. I was with the Motor City Magic team in 1986 & 87 a Image cat, and at the 1987 worlds we put Baja sickers on the boat.

19. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by h2oMag View Post
    Quote: [To me it is sort of the "Edsel" of performance boats...it attracts a certain group based on it's "quirkiness".....but has little real appeal. There were some similar sized cats built in Michigan over the years (I'm having a senior moment on the manufacturer's name, but one model was licensed by Baja) that were equally "stable" and performed better IMHO..... Buy one of them]

They were called Active, and later Image cats. I believe Image built all the cats for Baja. I was with the Motor City Magic team in 1986 & 87 a Image cat, and at the 1987 worlds we put Baja sickers on the boat.
    Thanks ...that's the name my feeble old cranium couldn't remember.

T2x
    Allergic to Nonsense

20. Collapse Details

Ross Focht and what is now Ocean Express is who you guys are thinking of.