1. Collapse Details
    US COAST GUARD AUX. Boaters Safety course Saint Clair Shores MI
    US COAST GUARD AUX. Boaters Safety course Saint Clair Shores MI

This is the US COAST GUARD AUX. Boaters Safety course
    This may save you $$$ on your insurance
    This is the course needed to run the jet ski if you are under 18 yrs
    Great class if you are new to boating, experienced or just want to learn the rules of the water and navigation
    At the end of the course you will receive a diploma and boaters card
    Teaches trailering, navigation, ruled of the road, and much much more
    Easy class with no stress, laid back instruction, ask all of the questions that you are afraid to ask about the the water
    This is also the most affordable class in the Metro Detroit area
    Please RSVP to the email address and or call Mark Below

Start Date: 10/16/12 End Date: 10/30/12 Meets 3 times 10-16, 10-23, and 10-30-12
    Start Time: 7.00PM Cost: $25.00
    Address: 25050 Jefferson
    St Clair Shores, State: MI 48080
    Contact Person: Mark Hodorek
    Phone: 586-777-2967 Email: sltboat@yahoo.com

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    That's a good deal to have, I used to organize a similar program on Gun Lake for the boaters there. Thanks
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

3. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    I bet there are many who have no clue as to many of the rules for boaters in Michigan. I was talking with a licensed Captain the other day about some, and I had to prove I was correct because he had no idea. Some of them I wish they would enforce more, some I wish they didn't have.

4. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    This is one of the most interesting ones that I have no idea what the final outcome will be....

New statute aims to prevent ‘bikini stops’ of boaters
    By Angela Niemi

With the passage of Public Act (PA) 62 of 2012 into law, boaters will no longer have to worry about being stopped for random safety checks by peace officers throughout Michigan’s inland lakes and the Great Lakes next summer.

State Rep. Richard LeBlanc’s (D-Westland) House Bill 5110, the enacting legislation for PA 62, clarifies the conditions under which a peace officer can stop and inspect a vessel.

If a watercraft bears a safety check decal from the U.S. Coast Guard, a peace officer may only stop the vessel if there is suspicion that the boat or operator is in violation of marine law or engaged in criminal activity.

According to LeBlanc’s staff, the intent of the legislation was to make watercraft and vehicle stops more similar in nature.

“Currently, if you’re just driving down the road, you can’t be stopped to make sure you have proper airbags,” said Ian Mays, LeBlanc’s legislative aide. “What was happening was officers were stopping boats and other watercraft sometimes repeatedly, even in the same day, without any probable cause or belief that something was being done improperly to do a safety check.”

These stops are commonly referred to as “bikini stops,” according to LeBlanc. The new law is geared toward stemming the frequency of these stops.

“It’s really just a matter to make sure people in watercraft are not being harassed,” Mays said. “If they are stopped, there has to be probable cause or the operator has (to have) committed an infraction to be legitimately stopped. They won’t be stopped just to make sure they have enough life vests.”

PA 62 becomes effective on Nov. 1.

“This new law will help law enforcement and boaters,” said Michigan Boating Industries Association President John Ropp. “Because of the multi-jurisdictions involved on many of Michigan’s waterways, including Lake St. Clair, Lake Erie, the Detroit River and St. Clair River, it was not uncommon for the same boat to be stopped several times in one day. This is not an efficient use of time and energy and is a huge inconvenience to boaters.”

The “safety check decals” can be received after a free submitting to an inspection by the Coast Guard.

“I’m pleasantly surprised by the accessibility of the Coast Guard,” added MBIA spokesperson Nicki Polan. “They have people all over and are very accessible. They will come out to you, or lake associations can organize to have one come out for an entire group to have free inspections performed to get safety check decals. The Coast Guard has people everywhere, not just the Great Lakes.”

To arrange a free inspection directly with the Coast Guard or to find a representative nearby, visit Welcome to the Vessel Examination & Partner Visitation Web Site.