1. Collapse Details
    Smith Point cancelled
    Exclamation
    Attention OPA Racers and Fans,

The Smiths Point , Long Island Race has been officially cancelled. While we had permits and approvals from the U.S. Coast Guard, Brookhaven Regatta Permit, Environmental Approvals and a slew of other permits and applications, the Suffolk County Officials reneged on our permit at a meeting that was supposed to be held to go over some small details. Citing traffic worries going to the Park as the reason for their actions, we asked what we could change on our traffic plan to ease their worries and they replied "we haven't read your traffic plan". This is just the tip of the iceberg. One thing I have to say is that our committee solved and dealt with their every whim and more then complied with their needs to hold the race, the County failed at their responsibilities, no one else. On a more positive note or maybe the silver lining to this ordeal is that we have been contacted and have already met with a very positive and welcoming group for a fantastic race site!! My apologies to all for any inconvenience this may have caused anyone, see you in Port Huron/Sarnia!!

Thank You, Louie

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the update. I had a long chat with Louie at St Clair about the possibility this may happen. It's tough when one special interest group can shut down years of events and special work with just an azz or two.

See you Saturday, and good luck on the new site.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

3. Collapse Details

Competitor
    Thats suck I know how much work you had to put into the race to try and make it happen.

4. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Louie works his butt off, (Well, I just saw him, not quite all of it!).

Anyway, it really is too bad. The next OPA race will be Solomons Maryland with Mikey.....
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!