Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

One of the neatest things about the Tickfaw 200 is the fact that it is a two day event. Things move at an EXTREMELY relaxed pace down there...it must have something to do with the 1,000,000 percent humidity. We had a great time Friday night, but we were pretty dead tired and headed back to the hotel around midnight. The next day dawned hot and humid once again, and we got back to Blood River Landing early to head out to the stops on Lake Ponchatrain.

If any of you northerners wonder what happens to I-55...well its right down here, crossing by Lake Ponchatrain. The lake is pretty big and shallow...only 12 to 14 feet deep...we headed for the town of Madisonville, across the lake from New Orleans...and it was pretty cool as you could see the huge rooster tails being thrown by the big dogs coming over from the city.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tickfaw2 036.jpg   tickfaw2 037.jpg   tickfaw2 040.jpg  

tickfaw2 075.jpg   tickfaw2 076.jpg  

2. Collapse Details

We chased a 42 Tiger into Madisonville and docked at a bar/restaurant called Friends, which was a card stop. A seat on the deck and a series of fruity, icy cold rum drinks followed, along with a delicious lunch. Team MTI showed up, and I got some pictures. The ZR48 is the baddest boat I have ever seen, hands down.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tickfaw2 081.jpg   tickfaw2 087.jpg   tickfaw2 088.jpg  

tickfaw2 082.jpg  

3. Collapse Details

Good job! I will post to CBBC!

4. Collapse Details

Great story and pics! Thanks!

5. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Awesome outing and reporting.

SO, were you able to pick a favorite drink from the ones you tried?????
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

6. Collapse Details

The Worm Bucket at the Prop Stop was damn good...
    Painkillers at Friendly's were also hitting the spot...
    But the Sailor Jerry and Pepsi I had on the boat was/is my go-to beverage for delicious drunk fun. (Note: The Sailor Jerry only comes out when the boat is TIED TO THE DOCK!!!)

I've got some more pics and reporting....haven't had time to put up the rest in the past couple days...

7. Collapse Details

Looking forward to the rest Red. Great job. I've wanted to make this run for years but havn't.
    I think this post is a canidate for a new "destinations" section in these forums. Whatcha think Rat?

A section we can post our trips to events and locations, post up pics and tell about our trips. Locals could chime in and add "you shoulda tried this place or launched here" Be good for people planning and looking for places to go. I know I have several I could add and love to read about the ones I havn't yet.

8. Collapse Details

mmm. Sailor Jerry's is good.

9. Collapse Details

Good stuff from Bad Influence !!
    Parabellum FJ˛B

10. Collapse Details

Gotta finish this thing already!

Where were we? Ahhh yes....Madisonville, Day 2. After lunch and coctails at Friends, we headed over to another card stop which was conveniently located three blocks away, passing rafted up boats the entire walk. We then proceeded to kill some time meeting even MORE new people, drinking a couple beers, and experiencing a small taste of what Louisiana life is all about...like fresh crawfish on a random table in the park (Michelle ate one but spit it out!)...and cats on the bar.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tickfaw2 090.jpg   tickfaw2 091.jpg   tickfaw2 092.jpg  

11. Collapse Details

The event we were killing time for is something that really has to be experienced to be believed, and that was: the chicken drop. Now...I don't exactly live in the city, but I guess I don't live far enough out in the country, or in this particular case, the swamp, to have had the pleasure of experiencing this particular brand of entertainment. First, the betting took place. Put some money in and buy a square. Second, move the whole gang out into the street and place the board with the numbered squares in a cage. Third, produce a chicken. Fourth, have a girl blow in its a$$ and the whole crowd roar in approval, whereupon said chicken is dropped into the cage and, having had the $hit literally scared out of it, the winner is whomever purchased the lucky square upon which the fowl excrement is dropped. Yeah...they CLOSED DOWN THE STREET for this. Lol. And you thought this was just a boating event!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tickfaw2 093.jpg   tickfaw2 095.jpg   tickfaw2 096.jpg  

tickfaw2 098.jpg   tickfaw2 100.jpg  

12. Collapse Details

You gotta see some cow bingo....now that's disgusting !
    Parabellum FJ˛B

13. Collapse Details

I can honestly say I will never again wait to see a chicken poop, although having done so, I guess I am the better for it. Now for the next adventure.. We then found a "secret" card stop...mostly because we'd hooked up with a fellow Illinoisian who knew a bunch of locals and he was riding in a Spectre with a couple Merc 2.5s. I realized that I was running low on cash, so when we pulled up to the marina, I asked one of the guys if there was a cash machine around. He said sure, right across the street. I said cool, let me get my wallet and show me where to go. He said, I'll take you there. So...I followed. Well...we walked a good mile before getting to the gas station "across the street." I had left my phone on the boat, and nobody had seen me walk off with this dude...so nobody knew where I was. After being gone about 1/2 hour, I finally walked back up to the boat...apparently my wife was more than a little worried (I'm not exactly the type to wander off). So..."right across the street," in Louisiana speak, is NOT the same as Illinois speak. After they were seemingly relieved to see me, they all flipped me the bird and we were off again across Lake Ponchatrain and Lake Maurepas, back to the Prop Stop (where I had forgotten to get my Poker card punched the day before, being too occupied with mass consumption of Worm Buckets), and then finally, back to Blood River, where Dennis ONCE AGAIN parked the boat like a master.

14. Collapse Details

The party on the final night was somewhat dampened by...well...what else COULD cause a dampening...RAIN. What started as a small shower ended with an hour-long, bilge-pump kicking deluge, during which Den and BZ got soaked whilst trying to keep the cockpit dry using a Sunshade, and Michelle and I sat in the cabin drinking rum. When the storm passed, we went into the Funhouse, only then finding out we had missed 7 naked girls streaking the bar during the storm. Win some, lose some. We had additional rum, met some MORE great people, and made sure we left our mark hanging on the ceiling.

It was a terrific time, and I cannot thank BZ and Den enough for making it happen. Would I do it again? You bet, y'all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tickfaw2 104.jpg   tickfaw2 108.jpg   tickfaw2 106.jpg  

tickfaw2 109.jpg   tickfaw2 105.jpg  

15. Collapse Details

Mike....you look like a midget in the pic with you, BZ and Den...

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by teamsynergy View Post
    Mike....you look like a midget in the pic with you, BZ and Den...
    As I recall...we are pretty much the same height...

17. Collapse Details

Ahhh... but I am fatter therefore making me less midget like in proportions. Boom!

18. Collapse Details

awesome pics. Thanks for sharing.

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by redhotsommer View Post
    As I recall...we are pretty much the same height...
    Hence the nickname "Tall Mike".

20. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    How come Michelle didn't like the crawfish? I usually do.

Did you?
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!