Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Got money? Wanna start a car company?
    Here's what I think will happen:

There will be some kind of assistance to GM, Ford and Chrysler. It will probably look like a loan but feel like a bankruptcy. It may be both. It will break the unions and abandon the retirees.
    They will reduce lines and make their differentiating products, the ones that they do best and are bigger ticket. They can make competitive trucks, SUVs, cadillacs, corvettes maybe. Mustangs and Vipers. Whatever.
    They can't compete against Korean and Indian micro cars, which will start hitting our shore last week.
    But we can. I know a bunch of displaced car builders from design to final detail. There are workers everywhere. Could put it where the old Jeep plant is since it is brownfield anyway and we start cranking out cheap cars made by non union workers who would rather build cars to compete against asia than work at Tim Horton. We can hire the layed off dealership people and convert closed dealerships, buying them in distress, maybe foreclosure? Even jets are hitting the street right now... cheap.

Need a few hundred million to get the ball rolling.

You will get to join Detroit Yacht Club and all sorts of other great stuff.

We could call the company Toledo Motor Company.

Detroit Auto show 2010: Concept cars:
    The TMCs.

There will be three basic models:

The Toto: a two seater car very cheap.
    The Tonto: a small sedan
    The Tatonka: a small suv

Send me a PM and we can get started.
    Thanks!
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

2. Collapse Details

Hey.... if somebody steals this.... I want a cut. You heard it here first.
    You can do it, but I want some money. You don't want me walking up to you in a tux at the party before the Auto Show and tap you on the shoulder.
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

3. Collapse Details

btw... the location suggested is at the crossroads of the largest east west (I-80/90)and north south (I-75) corridors in the US, an international port, airport and more rail lines than most US cities.

4. Collapse Details

great idea...I'm in.
    Warning: There will be no warning shots.

5. Collapse Details

Only a couple hundred million.............Ummmm.......Nope...can't swing it.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Gun View Post
    great idea...I'm in.
    I am willing to work with a consortium.

7. Collapse Details

I'm close to DC and off next Friday. If you can just get the company going by then I'll go to DC and try to get on the bail out list! I'll even take a few of my minority friends to increase our chances!

8. Collapse Details

we can find a couple plants within 50 miles or so that are closed as opposed to building, Im in for $5.00 Do we get stock options?? Do I get a cushy corner office with a big desk and a view?? Do we get company retreats with expensive hookers and free booze?? I am willing to sacrifice and take a cessna instead of a corporate jet. We can get Reggie on board if we give the cars a beak instead of a hood ornament and use 24kt gold rims. Brownie can do the never rust stainless exhaust. JC does engines, Dave does the paint, I will do practical aplication evaluation and we can put stecz in charge of the windshild washer squirters ( the stufff does kind of look like koolaid). Mexiclean can make them shiny. The Jersey boys will be in charge of anti theft systems. Gino can head up the collision avoidence systems. who else do we have for critical positions??
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

9. Collapse Details

im down with being the marketing guy

10. Collapse Details

I will throw in $100. I am always in for hookers, trips and free booze. I don't even need an office.

11. Collapse Details

im in for all i got right now. 4 dollars (2 toonies), a paperclip, and a jelly bean.

12. Collapse Details

Has the janitor position been filled yet?

13. Collapse Details

Worldwide - Blue Martini Hall of Fame - Your sisters house
    I'll take sales and dealer development.

In reality, there's lots of money available. 100M is easy when people are scared of everything else.

First promo - "Buy a car - get a lap dance"

14. Collapse Details

Or we could just buy saturn from GM probably on the cheap. I watched a 5 hour movie on Henry Ford last week interesting stuff started with one model and made it right. Now you just need adesign to get investors. I think your best bet would be a motorcycle with a car body. Not nearly the safety standards of a car. I don't know what defines car over motorcycle though.

If SOS has 2000 members its only $100,000 per member for 200 mil. I think?????

15. Collapse Details

No joke though these companies are going to be having fire sales on equipment and land and buildings in areas of existing factories which they will be closing and states will be wanting to help keep jobs there.

I think this is a great idea. I am thinking manual tranny, 4 cylinder maybe a Sea-Doo 3 cylinder super charged, crank windows, AC optional, composite body, composites used wherever possible. I am thinking First model a convertible 4 seater with small back seats call it a motorcycle.

I wonder what the crash standards are for motorcycles. if you have to do any testing or anything.

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by db71 View Post
    No joke though these companies are going to be having fire sales on equipment and land and buildings in areas of existing factories which they will be closing and states will be wanting to help keep jobs there.

I think this is a great idea. I am thinking manual tranny, 4 cylinder maybe a Sea-Doo 3 cylinder super charged, crank windows, AC optional, composite body, composites used wherever possible. I am thinking First model a convertible 4 seater with small back seats call it a motorcycle.

I wonder what the crash standards are for motorcycles. if you have to do any testing or anything.
    I would qualify this as a new idea and you don't have to pay me.

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    who else do we have for critical positions??
    I can be the political lobbyist. That is the only way to get any thing done with the Gov't!

I know a way to cut cost right off the bat:

Strippers are a waste of money. Some hookers look just as good if not better and you know you....uh... I mean the clients I am taking out to entertain... yea.. that's... them.. you know they are going to get some in the end. 100% sure thing happy ending with hookers; not so much with strippers but still a good close rate.

We... I mean they...can stay at a Holiday Inn vs the JW Marriott. Lot cheaper, less press and as a bonus they come out smarter. I know one by Capitol Hill where the wino will sleep like a wheel chalk under your tire for $20 a night in low-end fortified wine.

I got all kinds of cost cutting ideas but it takes money to make money. Send it my way so I can get started for us!!

18. Collapse Details

Alright I studied it Buy Saturn make only three of five models The Sky, Aura, and Outlook. Even thought these cars share assembly lines with other Gm cars mainly Opel in Europe. Just buy all the plans for parts and make them yourself rather than rely on GM Start with one facility for final assembly and use the same seats and motors and heater controls etc. in every model to reduce costs. Depending on how the bailout works out there will be some parts suppliers looking for someone to supply. So maybe you could get them to take on some of the burden.

Maybe Saturn could be bought on a loan from GM that if you buy there motors for 10 years it is forgiven.

Remember millions or billions are made in times like these.

19. Collapse Details

use the same seats and motors and heater controls etc. in every model to reduce costs.
    I've always said that. KISS- keep it simple stupid.

Make them all the same- no reason to have a Chevy, Buick, Olds, GM, Caddy and Pontiac all the same car with $2K worth of stuff changed and re-badged on each of them. Ford, Mazda, Isuzu and the like did the same.

3 names for each of the Big 3- low, mid and high end. Say GM, Chevy and Caddy for GM. All GM's can have the same options because it will be cheaper to build them all the same than not (power w/d, A/C, etc). All Chevy's the same way, etc.

Remember millions or billions are made in times like these.
    More millionaires made during the Great Depression than any other time in history

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MarylandMark View Post
    More millionaires made during the Great Depression than any other time in history
    Yes, and I was kind of hoping to be one. Just need to convince people to invest in the auto industry. Bad week for that.