Thread: Bravo 1 Issues

1. Collapse Details
    Bravo 1 Issues
    Hi guys,

I have a leak somewhere. I Installed new bellows and shift boots last winter, I checked and those are not leaking...

I've noticed some water on the the steering arms; How is the steering arm sealed off?

The boat is pretty transom heavy and the water line is close to the bottom of the bravo sticker on the gimbal housing...

Anyone ever run into this/ know how to fix?

Could one other possible place where the trim indicator wires go thru?

On Another note, I had replaced the lower sections of the outdrives last winter as well, and the new ones sent some metal thru the system. I am getting those rebuilt under warranty and am sure the uppers are fine; My question is how to flush the uppers? can I send oil/ compressed air thru the detent ball fitting?

Thanks!

2. Collapse Details

Part 3 and 4. a seal and bearing. Not a whole lot of fun to replace.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5_x2.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	206.3 KB 
ID:	72452

As far as the upper I would pull them apart and clean them well, but in most of my experiences with lower problems, the uppers were pretty darn clean, especially in the old ones with no oil passages. Id have them done anyway to be sure.

3. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    I agree with Rogue. Not much fun and you should definitely entirely clean any drive thoroughly that has failed.

Tell me more about the boat.. Has it ever seen salt water? If it has you will likely need to replace more parts. Did you remove the bellhousing when you replaced your bellows? You will this time. Order the 22- number access kit. Before you dis assemble you should check your gimble ring height. It is measured at the lower pivot. It should be high and tight. Like .010 or less. The aluminum ring has a tendency to corrode and loosen both side to side and up and down. You are hoping not to have to replace the expensive ring. Once you take the upper shaft out it needs to be inspected where the seal rides to determine whether it needs replacement. If you are lucky you will only need to purchase the seal. My guess is you will need more. You should expect to spend about 8 or 10 hours to complete this repair the first time. after much practice I can do it in about 5.

While it is apart you might as well change your intake hose. If it was in salt take the necessary time to remove all the salt where the hose enters and paint the transom plate as needed.

4. Collapse Details

I assumed you have confirmed that is where it was leaking. The seal may be visible laying on the top of the gimble ring. It could look like an o ring flopping around. If water is dripping on the inside just below you steering lever that is it.. The trim sender leads are below that.. I suppose it is possible they allow water in.. I have not seen it.

5. Collapse Details

The Boat is an 1989 Formula 272 sr1 w/ the 454/ Bravos. I've owned it for the past 2 years (one operating season; It was a winter project last year)
    I bought it neglected, a marina in Harrison twp, MI kept up on the nesessary service, Just keeping it going. I put a new interior in (including the plywood), wetsanded and buffed the entire boat, repainted the stripes and went thru the dash with newer guages.

Mecanically it was in good operating condition so I just replaced the starters and alternators and ran it for the season.

It WAS in the salt for a few years for sure as the lowers were corroded badly. They were mechanically sound but looked like crap and I hadn't planned on upgrading power, so I put on some new Sterndrive Engineering bravo 1 lowers. They have a 3 year no questions asked warranty so I figured "what can go wrong"...
    well, with the older ones there was NO metal in the system but with the new lowers BOTH sides did this. Anyway, my problem with the lowers... I'd like to start fresh when the new lowers arrive and will clean the uppers as best I can.

The boat had 1 ring replaced since being in Michigan for at least the last 15 years (the sound of that really ages the boat btw) but both sides had some water on the steering arms... so I think its coming in High...

I have not determined that to be the point of the leak but where else could it be?

btw theres nothing hanging out of the top of the gimbal rings...

6. Collapse Details

If the transom is soft it can leak around the perimeter. Sound your transom and look for spider cracks around the lower perimeter of the transom assembly.

I included a couple pix. The first shows the exposed part of an upper swivel. I often see the seal laying in this gap.. This one is intact. However the gimble ring needs replacement because it is loose side to side and has dropped. You can see the square spline showing. You should not see that. The gap on top is excessive but you actually measure it at the bottom . The second pic shows where you measure it. This one is .061 too low. It has dropped enough to cause a vibration. Now the input shaft of the drive is not in alignment with the yoke shaft.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00162.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	150.0 KB 
ID:	72479Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00163.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	197.1 KB 
ID:	72480

The high leaks are usually easy to find. Dry everything with paper towels and watch with a light.
    Last edited by MOBILEMERCMAN; 12-26-2011 at 07:24 PM. Reason: measured gap