1. Collapse Details
    Brown Estate For Sale, Father of racer Kevin Brown
    Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I see where the Brown estate is for sale. I know several of you remember his son who raced with Jim Dyke.

Unfortunately they had an accident at the World's held in Atlantic City in 1989 and Kevin passed away.

Here is a link to one story about the home. SOme of you who boat on Erie may be familiar with it.

http://realestate.yahoo.com/promo/ec...lake-erie.html
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

2. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    From the New York Times

Crash Kills Boat Racer
    Published: October 23, 1989

A fatality marred the end of racing yesterday in the Trump Castle world powerboat championship in Atlantic City. Kevin Brown, 37 years old, of Rocky River, Ohio, was killed instantly in the flipover and crash of his 32-foot catamaran speedboat. Brown was this year's national champion in the Union Internationale Motonautique II, a class for powerboats of 23 to 40 feet. James Dyke of Bay Village, Ohio, Brown's throttleman, was injured and in stable condition in a hospital in Atlantic City.

Little Caesar's Pizza, driven by Pete Markey of Farmington Hills, Mich., won the title for superboats, strong-engined boats 35 to 50 feet. Gancia dei Gancia, driven by Stephano Casiraghi of Monaco, won the U.I.M. I, for boats with lesser engines. Ebel, driven by Carlo Bonomi of Britain, won the U.I.M. II.

3. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    From the morning Journal in Ohio when Don passed away froom the plane wreck

Published: Tuesday, January 19, 2010

SCOT ALLYN and RICHARD PAYERCHIN
    news@MorningJournal.com

VERMILION TOWNSHIP — Donald A. Brown, the inventor of the drop ceiling, had a mind that never stopped inventing, a long-time friend said yesterday.

Brown, 89, his wife, Shirley, 87, and two pilots died yesterday when the plane bringing the couple home from a trip to Florida to visit family nose-dived into a field at the Lorain County Regional Airport.

The plane was flown by Wesley Roemer, 30, of Gainesville, Fla., and John Mengelson, 46, of Florahome, Fla., believed to the co-pilot.

Avon Mayor Jim Smith said he knew Brown for more than 20 years, since Brown owned property in Avon and was interested in how the city would develop. Smith recalled Brown as a very wealthy man, but also soft-spoken and still a dazzling thinker into his later years.

"He was a very dry person, but very serious," Smith said. "He was always thinking, always working to invent something like a new type of theater seating or bomb survival shelter. But you'd see him at Wal-Mart and probably think he was just another guy."

Brown's home, on Lake Erie in Vermilion, was a multi-million dollar showplace with its own marina, barber shop and helicopter pad, Smith said.

"When you walked into his house it felt like you were walking into the 22nd century," Smith said. "He'd push a button and walls would disappear. His wife didn't like to back up her car, so he had a turntable installed in the garage floor to turn the car around."

Brown swam every day and had an impressive stream of ideas, Smith said.

"One time, when I spent about three or four hours with him, he bounced about 15 ideas off me," Smith said. "He was a brilliant human being. His death is tragic, just tragic."

Brown was extremely talented and a great person, said Larry Bettcher, president of Bettcher Industries in Birmingham. Continued...

"He was a friend, and we'll miss him greatly," Bettcher said.

Brown became known for "Accessible Suspended Ceiling Construction," patent No. 2,984,946, filed Sept. 8, 1958, and awarded May 23, 1961.

"This invention relates to a suspended tile ceiling," his patent summary said.

Earlier tile ceilings had interlocking panels that required the removal of many contiguous tiles to get to conduits, ducts and pipes hidden above the hanging panels.

"Obviously, this is a time-consuming job, especially where the ceiling spans a large room and the desired point of access is in the center of the ceiling," Brown's patent summary said. "The primary object of the present invention is to provide a suspended ceiling construction in which access may be obtained at any desired location which may be predetermined before the ceiling is erected."

Brown also started Donn Products Inc. in Westlake, a ceiling tile maker that in the 1980s was purchased by USG Corp.

"The Donn Products Corporation built its large facility on the west side of Bassett Road just south of the railroad adding to that manufacturing plant in 1963," according to "You've Come a Long Way Westlake," William M. Robishaw's history of Westlake, published in 1993 by the Westlake Historical Society. "The Donn corporation is a recognized world leader in its field, the manufacture of interior building products, such as ceilings and movable wall systems. The ceilings of the original Bassett Elementary School building were manufactured right here in Westlake in the Donn Products plant. In 1982, the corporation had over 1,500 employees worldwide."

Brown and his family occasionally appeared in news reports. In 2008, Brown sold 103 acres in Avon on the north side of Chester Road between Seton Road and an area near the western end of Schneider Court. The buyer was the Westlake-based Richard E. Jacobs Group, which in 2008 also bought 54 acres on the south side of Chester fronting I-90, according to a news report from the time.

Brown's palatial home in Vermilion Township, invisible from US 6 behind earthen mounds, became a nautical landmark sometimes called the Castle by anglers and boaters who could see it from the water.

The sea also was the scene of tragedy for Brown's family. In 1989, Brown's son, Kevin Brown, 37, died instantly when his boat, "Team Skater," rolled during competition in the Trump Castle World Championships of Powerboat Racing off Atlantic City, N.J.

The younger Brown had been a top competitor with the Great Lakes Offshore Powerboat Racing Association. He and racing partner, Jim Dyke, won two national races, several divisional events and a national championship.

4. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Only $19,500. We could have a heck of a party there.....

http://realestate.yahoo.com/Ohio/Ver...6296c32b84a0ca

5. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    One of my favorite comments.....

"When you walked into his house it felt like you were walking into the 22nd century," Smith said. "He'd push a button and walls would disappear. His wife didn't like to back up her car, so he had a turntable installed in the garage floor to turn the car around."

6. Collapse Details

I remember coming back to work on Monday at (Skater) after kevin's fatality ,and talk about a sad day at Douglas Marine .

7. Collapse Details

It was very sad,Jim took it very hard with that being said,Kevin and Jim would have ruled offshore racing as they were just getting started.I was at the home in 1989,It was unbelieveable!!!!!

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by relible one View Post
    It was very sad,Jim took it very hard with that being said,Kevin and Jim would have ruled offshore racing as they were just getting started.I was at the home in 1989,It was unbelieveable!!!!!
    Bobby , i gotta say .............that Pete took it really hard , and everything that followed soon after Kevin's death . Bobby , i am sure .......that you are well aware of everything ....that i am talking about , and needless to say ~ how the hell are you ................ole friend ?

9. Collapse Details

Kevin was a great guy, I used to hang out with them @ "SK-Marine, and the shop in Vermilion!

10. Collapse Details

The house sounds amazing.
    Sorry to hear about the accident
    RIP

11. Collapse Details

Great Art,yes we do know all about the days after,and you are a great sole! man those were the days.....

12. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    I agree that they were one heck of a team from their start in the sport. Sorry to bring back tough memories.H

Hopefully those of you who had to deal with the sadness of losing him will also share some of the joy of knowing him. And maybe a little smile will appear from a couple of those thoughts....

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    I agree that they were one heck of a team from their start in the sport. Sorry to bring back tough memories.H

Hopefully those of you who had to deal with the sadness of losing him will also share some of the joy of knowing him. And maybe a little smile will appear from a couple of those thoughts....
    well said..

14. Collapse Details

After that accident we started seeing improved cockpits including the hat behind the seat and lids on the canopies. Improvements continued due to more accidents over the years, but Kevin's accident was very difficult on alot of us.

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by relible one View Post
    Great Art,yes we do know all about the days after,and you are a great sole! man those were the days.....
    Bobby thank you ,and yes those were the day's ..........................man i sure do.................. miss them .