Thread: Bilge Pumps

1. Collapse Details
    Bilge Pumps
    Who makes a good bilge pump? I had another Rule computer 2000 pump die, just 1 year old. That's my last Rule pump (pretty sad considering the company I work for owns Rule). Who makes a good reliable no-float pump?

Thanks - Greg

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What has been failing?
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

3. Collapse Details

something is wrong somewhere else, i have my rule pumps in the boat for years..and they work great !

in the abllast tank , and in the front and rear bilge..wouldnt want nothing else !

Seachoice is an other very good brand i had used before !
    Last edited by 600sci; 09-03-2011 at 08:32 PM.

4. Collapse Details

The original Lovett in my 88 has never missed a beat. Its got my vote.

5. Collapse Details

Before Irene I checked both pumps and this one didn't run, rewired it and it ran for a couple tests, checked during the storm and it wouldn't run, ran again when I checked it after the storm, then stopped again). Not the boat wiring as I bypassed it and hooked direct off the battery and one time it would run, try it again a few seconds later and it wouldn't. Finally couldn't get to run at all so I took it apart to see what died.

This is the second one to fail, this one motor died (opened pump this time to see if it was the computer, but direct power to motor and it ran slowly once, then not at all. Seems like bearings as it is stiff to turn by hand.) The other identical but older pump on the other side has run fine for several years. Erratic quality control. Prior boat had Jabsco pumps (also an ITT company) and they would die (from corrosion) about every other year too.

I haven't found anyone else yet that makes a 1500 or 2000 gph automatic pump?

-Greg

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by GregP View Post
    Before Irene I checked both pumps and this one didn't run, rewired it and it ran for a couple tests, checked during the storm and it wouldn't run, ran again when I checked it after the storm, then stopped again). Not the boat wiring as I bypassed it and hooked direct off the battery and one time it would run, try it again a few seconds later and it wouldn't. Finally couldn't get to run at all so I took it apart to see what died.

This is the second one to fail, this one motor died (opened pump this time to see if it was the computer, but direct power to motor and it ran slowly once, then not at all. Seems like bearings as it is stiff to turn by hand.) The other identical but older pump on the other side has run fine for several years. Erratic quality control. Prior boat had Jabsco pumps (also an ITT company) and they would die (from corrosion) about every other year too.

I haven't found anyone else yet that makes a 1500 or 2000 gph automatic pump?

-Greg
    Well, like i said the seachoice is a good pump too and they make an automatic switch to hook up. On e-bay u can get them for ~60 bucks in a 2000 GPH version !

7. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ROGUE View Post
    The original Lovett in my 88 has never missed a beat. Its got my vote.
    I tried to buy a Lovett last year. They were not available. Called them directly. The had some production issue. Not sure if they ever got their act together.

8. Collapse Details

If I have to go back to a pump with a separate water sensor what is a good non-float switch sensor?

9. Collapse Details

I read the manual for the waterwitch conductivity sensor switch and it says it won't work well with rain water, which is what I need the bilge pumps for most, so that is a no-go. I presume all the other conductivity sensor switches will have the same limitation?

10. Collapse Details

i got a good one here, gonna check what brand it is ..maybe i even sell it !