Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    It does need to be stock according to the rules I have.

ENGINE CLASSIFICATIONS:
    S – STOCK ENGINES (ANY PRODUCTION ENGINES WITHOUT MODIFICATION, 500 HP ENGINES ARE NOT STOCK)
    F – FOR MODIFIED FACTORY ENGINES WITHOUT POWER (INCLUDES 525 SC STOCK)
    M – CUSTOM BUILT MODIFIED ENGINES WITHOUT POWER ADDED FEATURES
    P – POWER ADDED FEATURES (i.e. BLOWERS, TURBOS, NITROS, TURBINES, etc.)
    i thought they raised the rpm rules in SBI atleast..so i think its still considered legal..BUT NOT SHURE !

i didnt even know u can have 510 CI per SBI rulebook ???!!!!

6.8.2. Engine maintenance and rebuilds – The respective motors can be maintained and rebuilt, utilizing stock OEM parts and specifications, with a maximum cubic inch limitation of 510 cu in and a maximum compression ratio of 9.0:1, all other engine specifications and tolerances must be as per the Original Engine Manufacturer or have approval from SBIP in writing. Note: After market 502 cubic inch GM blocks may be used.
    Last edited by 600sci; 09-04-2011 at 01:41 AM.

2. Collapse Details

Just curious was 105 with an alluminum flywheel?

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Donskihp View Post
    Just curious was 105 with an alluminum flywheel?
    The Doc said on OSO ..it was not the legal racemotor for the SBI org. so it could very well be !

but an aluminum flywheel wont do anything in a boat...is what i been told from some engine builders !

4. Collapse Details

Competitor / Charter Member imco offshore's Avatar
    whats the differance ,,it ran 105 ,,that is awesome,,,i would love to be in my boat and run 100,,either way the man never claimed to be a stock 525,,so it,s all good in my book,,
    ps Scott,, you have been seriously miss led about the flywheel,,a stock merc flywheel weighs 43 lbs,,that uses up a certine amount of hp ,,an aluminum weighs 12 ,,thats 30 lbs of rotating weight,,if it didn,t matter ,then why does EVERY engine builder thrive to race,, light cranks,,rods,,pistons,pins ,,ect,,? just saying,,my 2 cents,,have a great day,,
    IMCO #10- 2009 National Champions

5. Collapse Details

LOTO Does not have a "stock 525" class. It's a

FOR MODIFIED FACTORY ENGINES WITHOUT POWER (INCLUDES 525 SC STOCK, 500hp, 500efi, 525efi)

So it's a 525 class built up to what ever you want just no blowers, turbos, NOS.. etc.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by imco offshore View Post
    ps Scott,, you have been seriously miss led about the flywheel,,a stock merc flywheel weighs 43 lbs,,that uses up a certine amount of hp ,,an aluminum weighs 12 ,,thats 30 lbs of rotating weight,,if it didn,t matter ,then why does EVERY engine builder thrive to race,, light cranks,,rods,,pistons,pins ,,ect,,? just saying,,my 2 cents,,have a great day,,
    hhhmmmm...the way i was told it can give u a little fatser RPM..and in a boat it is so little that it wont be good for even 1 MPH..but it makes sense what your saying too .. and now im confused again..LOL

7. Collapse Details

if it gave just .25 a quarter of mile an hour ,,at the end of a 100 mile race ,,it would be 2.5 miles ahead of you,, stock is stock ,not is not ,,it,s like" kinda" being pregnant,,
    now in svl we have 4 differant classes ,
    ,oss = stock 525.
    .opa = rebuild and stay withen a limit
    sbi = rebuild max compression 9.0 max cu.in.510. and unlimited ecu,
    ,and p-1 = anything goes max rpm 5800,,,
    this is just a close description ,for sake of argument..
    so you can see why ANY small change in any one ,is a great advantage..

8. Collapse Details

wasn't there some talk of power to weight ratio and the use of a torque meter for the svl's

9. Collapse Details

Competitor
    That never happen this yr in P1 maybe in the future, not sure why. That would be a question for Martin.

10. Collapse Details

105 is fast great run!

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by imco offshore View Post
    if it gave just .25 a quarter of mile an hour ,,at the end of a 100 mile race ,,it would be 2.5 miles ahead of you,, stock is stock ,not is not ,,it,s like" kinda" being pregnant,,
    now in svl we have 4 differant classes ,
    ,oss = stock 525.
    .opa = rebuild and stay withen a limit
    sbi = rebuild max compression 9.0 max cu.in.510. and unlimited ecu,
    ,and p-1 = anything goes max rpm 5800,,,
    this is just a close description ,for sake of argument..
    so you can see why ANY small change in any one ,is a great advantage..

Georgie,

This is the most accurate statement made in the last 2 years on these boards. See you soon.

Wil

12. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 600sci View Post
    LOTO Does not have a "stock 525" class. It's a

FOR MODIFIED FACTORY ENGINES WITHOUT POWER (INCLUDES 525 SC STOCK, 500hp, 500efi, 525efi)

So it's a 525 class built up to what ever you want just no blowers, turbos, NOS.. etc.
    Includes "525 SC STOCK". If someone modifies it, it is not stock. They specifically made it that way because of the Cat Lights and SVL's.....
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    Includes "525 SC STOCK". If someone modifies it, it is not stock. They specifically made it that way because of the Cat Lights and SVL's.....
    Paul, i agree that is correct, its what it should mean..but it doesent ...

I copied this from OSO, PFE racing posted it this there in a similar thread !

Thats how they been told as a partisipent ! ( spelling, i know ) LOL

14. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor
    Now Im confussed again about what the class rules really mean.
    I first read it as stock (do not touch the seals,ECM or any part on the Merc motor).
    Then someone said it means take a stock merc motor and do anything you want to it but dont put on a blower or NOS. If this is what it means why even use the merc. name in the rules? Just say build ANY motor without blower or NOS.
    Does any OFFICIAL person from LOTO staff have the answere for us or who can I call. If I miss interpreted the rules than I am man enough to give Doc an appology for racing with in the rules.
    http://youtu.be/u0MEjFpPADY
    Typhoon racing SVL,P5,P4,
    THIS MY OPINION ONLY NOT OTHERS!!!!

15. Collapse Details

Im going to jump in so you guys know the rules for loto have no bearing on what the svl rule would be .
    Doc didnt try to pawn off that it was a stock 525 to me and the only way that boat will go 105 in my opinion with a real 525 is on the trailer on the highway that being said this is what the rule reads that he ran under at loto.
    PV2F1
    p-professional
    V-v-hull
    2-27-31 length
    F-factory modified engine ie merc 500 or 525 no power adders
    1-one engine
    Also the question about the aluminum flywheel it will make the engine rpm quicker at the expense of wanting to stall when you put it in gear if you have a big wheel.
    Also think about it a real 525 hp verses gear size prop size and rpm pluse weight and drag air and water 105 ant going to happen i dont care what way you calculate it at least not with a real 525.Hope this helps clear things up.
    Also not trying to jump into the svl topic not my place to go there just stating what i know about loto thanks gary p-f-e .racing
    Last edited by p-f-e; 09-05-2011 at 02:44 PM.

16. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    No problem Gary, thanks.

I can get ahold of the LOTO Shootout tech guys and find out. I think it has to be a stock 525 to fit the rules the way they currently are for the Shootout. Only the factory can modify the engine and have it still be legal. It has nothing to do with any of the racing organizations rules.

17. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Some of the guys are getting ahold of me and saying the 525SC, the old supercharged engine, is the only one that can fit in the class and run absolutely stock. That also makes no sense to me because of the power adder of the SC. But, I'll try to find out as I said.

If this is accurate, then you could do absolutely anything to a 525efi, and I mean anything but boost, and have it fit in the class that the Doc ran. That sounds like what he did. Everything but boost is okay maybe?

18. Collapse Details

DOES IT REALLY MATTER ,? He ran 105 ,,non of the posting racers were their ,,so who,s contesting what,,,if 3 or 4 others were their and entered the same class ,,then maybe ,just maybe if you read the rules before you entered the class ,,you would have an argument,,soooo it,s moot ,,if their is a lesson here ,,,READ THE RULES BEFORE YOU RACE !!!BRING A GUN TO A GUN FIGHT,,,

19. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Well, from what I've been able to find out.......

If the engine was modified in any way, except by the factory, it would fall into the pv2m1 class, not the pv2f1 class.

The m stands for modified engines without adder's like blowers, superchargers, etc.

The f stands for factory modified engines only. So the 525efi stock would fall into f because it is a factory modified engine for performance boats/racing, if it gets modified in any way, other than by the factory, it goes into m. That was what Lance ran in last year.

I'm still waiting for official feedback on the record though...

20. Collapse Details

i think the rules no matter in which class and where..are very confusing and could be mad a lot easyer for everybody to understand not just in this shootout also in any spec class !

On this one tho, im with george..WHO cares..lol

Hope to see some of u in NY for the race to remember 9-11 !!!!