Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Chicago Scene Officially canceled
    Boat Party Date: Saturday July 30, 2011 Noon to 6pm - Canceled

I’m very sorry to inform all of the boaters that this year’s boat party, the 11th Annual Chicago Scene Chicago Scene Boat party has been canceled.

I called City Hall back in February saying I have a great idea to get the city of Chicago some great publicity let’s try going for the World’s largest Boat party, it will make national news just like when we were in the New York Times a few years ago about the great party we have each year. Well to say the least that back fired on me.

So I started working on getting my Permit into the city when I was told by a high ranking city official not to even waste my time trying to get a permit for the event because they were not going to give me one. So I looked into moving the event to Hammond, IN, 13 miles South of Navy Pier but decided that it was too far and dangerous to have hundreds of boats going to and from the party safely. If you read in the letter from the city of Chicago if Hammond would have called in the Chicago Police for help they would have fined me for all those services anyway.

What I find to be so sad about this entire thing is that in 1893 just 22 years after the great Chicago fire, the city of Chicago hosted the World’s Fair; more than 27 million people attended the 6 month event that was more than half the population of the United States. In just one day the fair drew over 716,000 people. Why did they have the world’s fair? Because Chicago wanted to tell the world we have risen from the ashes and we are back on the map! But today over 120 years later the city of Chicago can’t handle an event with 500-1000 boats for 6 hours, many of which are in the “Play Pen” on any given weekend. The only national News coming out of Chicago these days is gang members killing each other on the west side and “flash mobs” roaming Michigan Ave. Is this city trying to move forward or go backwards?

Does City Hall realize that people that live in LA & NY don’t even know we have a lakefront in Chicago? But I’ll tell you what they do know about Chicago, Al Capone & Gang violence.

The Chicago Harbors have more slips available now then they have in the last 25 years, you can check it out at: http://www.chicagoharbors.info. Our boat party was one of the largest catalysts for bringing in new boaters to the Chicago harbor system. Let’s see how they do next year with an extra 1000 slip harbor opening at 31st street.

BTW Check out http://www.SeaRay.com Home page, they just started http://www.aquapalooza.com 100 huge boat parties around the country, but we can’t handle what over 100 cities can.

If anyone reading this is a friend of the Mayor or knows anyone in City Hall please contact them and ask them to save this one last great power boaters event in Chicago.

We are planning on having a party or to on land at a local bar or Restaurant on Sat July 30th and or Sunday July 31st please check back on the site.

Here you can find the Cease & Desist letter from the city of Chicago.

Thanks for all your support over the last 10 years

Sincerely

Ted Widen

2. Collapse Details

So what you're saying is, there will be none of the following this year....

3. Collapse Details

Well Welcome To Sweet Home CHICAGO ! County Of CROOK ! And the New Mayor.

4. Collapse Details

What would happen if a party that had not been planed, just happened to be? Is there any law that say you can't go boating in a certain are and suddenly a few hundred others have the same idea?

5. Collapse Details

Chicago hates boaters,,,,,,,Always has

Same theory as Daley tearing up Meigs field in the middle of the night because he wanted the Olympics.

Chicago sucks

6. Collapse Details

I saw on the news, that the new mayor is forming a type of immigrant care department. To help assist immigrants get the support they need. He wants Chicago to be the most immigrant friendly city in the U.S.
    And just last week I believe he let 600+ taxpaying, u.s. citizen, city employees go, because of a tight budget.

So let's spend millions, to come to the aid of a bunch of immigrants, who work for cash, and send all the money they make here,back home to Mexico. Then, once they made enough, they can return home.

7. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Now I ask, Seriously.......

What would you expect from Obamatown????????
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

8. Collapse Details

Why Chicago hates boaters is beyond me, you would think with a struggling budget they`d want some extra tax revenue.

Its unfortunate that many Illinois folks have to support Indianas economy cause Chicago hates boaters.

9. Collapse Details

Don't surprise me. Too bad Bin Laden did'nt get a chance to strike Chi-town. Maybe with some luck, he'd a gotten the old mayor and with luck, the new one too. Phuck chicago and all the dumbocraps that live in it and vote these dumbocraps into office.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Donskihp View Post
    What would happen if a party that had not been planed, just happened to be? Is there any law that say you can't go boating in a certain are and suddenly a few hundred others have the same idea?
    A bunch of people are planning to do just this...however...I GUARANTEE the Chicago PD will be out in force and WILL shut down the playpen like they do for the Air show. In the initial release that said the party would be moving to Hammond, Ted said that the city told him they would ticket ANY boat that attempted to raft up on that day.

Meet the new boss...same as the old boss. (I'm wearing a Who shirt today)

11. Collapse Details

What about a dock party in Hammond or Marina shores????

12. Collapse Details

Or a beach party at boaters?

13. Collapse Details

Or the second thing Andy said combined with what Todd said?

14. Collapse Details

just get all your AZZES up to Michigan City IN in 2 weeks !!!

lets party !

15. Collapse Details

As stated, what truly sucks is all the income that is being lost!!!! Yes the city sucks and gives us very little establishments to boat to in terms of restaurants, bars, etc., but think about the people cabbing to the lake, fuel consumption for all the harbors selling fuel, liquor and food sales all across the city for the event, hotel rooms, etc.etc!!!! They always miss the big picture!!!!!! No wonder we have sold off our toll systems, parking meters, and every other revenue generator for a quick buck rather than making sure we survive for the long haul!!!!!

16. Collapse Details

Sad!Very tough to put an event on couple of concerts canceled on Long Island politics!

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 600sci View Post
    just get all your AZZES up to Michigan City IN in 2 weeks !!!

lets party !
    been done a few weeks ago

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Medicine View Post
    been done a few weeks ago
    yes, but in 2 weeks is the superboat races up there !!!!!

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 600sci View Post
    yes, but in 2 weeks is the superboat races up there !!!!!
    MM's saying that we already have our slips reserved....be there with the boat Thursday night....my head already hurts thinking about it LOL!

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by SC288 View Post
    MM's saying that we already have our slips reserved....be there with the boat Thursday night....my head already hurts thinking about it LOL!
    COOL !!!!!!