Thread: Shore Power

1. Collapse Details
    Shore Power
    I`m getting closer to picking up the boat, never had shore power before what exactly does it run or is it different from boat to boat?

I`d imagine the fridge would mostly only be run when plugged in? I don`t see two batteries being able run it on the water? Same with burner?

Would there be a battery charger/minder built in with shore power (owner wasn`t sure)?

The seller is really getting this thing ready for me, hes having all oils changed in motor AND drives, water separators, checking brakes, repacking trailer bearings, wax..etc etc.
    Can`t complain about that

I`m getting exited!

2. Collapse Details

I think it differs from boat to boat. I have a battery charger and shore power...shore power charges the batteries at night and allows me unlimited stereo play and illumination of the swanky tube-lights that are in all Fountains. Also powers my air-conditioner when I've got it on.

3. Collapse Details

My shore power runs my fridge, microwave, battery charger and air conditioner....the fridge also runs on 12 VDC.

4. Collapse Details

There should be a battery charger. The Fridge probably runs on DC or AC. The fridge running, really doesnt draw that much 12V power, at least not as much as a booming stereo with amps would. Only issue with the fridge's in my experiance, is cans of beer/pop don't hold up well in there in rough water. Good for lunchmeat though, especially if beating your meat is something you like to do!

The shorepower will allow you to run AC powered stuff, when the shorepower is connected. Like a fan, coffee pot, blender, cell phone charger, vaccuum, etc.

Mike, those swanky Fountain cabin rope lights we have, sure do draw some amps! Definitly wanna swap them out for LED, but gonna hold off right now. I take way too much stuff apart, currently my boat looks less complete than when it was repoed back in the day! Gotta start re-assembling and stop dis-assembling!

5. Collapse Details

Sweet! It`ll be so nice to have the ability to spend a night and have a fridge/ micro, etc ..

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER View Post
    There should be a battery charger. The Fridge probably runs on DC or AC. The fridge running, really doesnt draw that much 12V power, at least not as much as a booming stereo with amps would. Only issue with the fridge's in my experiance, is cans of beer/pop don't hold up well in there in rough water. Good for lunchmeat though, especially if beating your meat is something you like to do!

The shorepower will allow you to run AC powered stuff, when the shorepower is connected. Like a fan, coffee pot, blender, cell phone charger, vaccuum, etc.

Mike, those swanky Fountain cabin rope lights we have, sure do draw some amps! Definitly wanna swap them out for LED, but gonna hold off right now. I take way too much stuff apart, currently my boat looks less complete than when it was repoed back in the day! Gotta start re-assembling and stop dis-assembling!
    Most all of the newer options with the shorepower do run just like you said MT, they will have a switch for running accessories on AC or DC. The AC will only run when plugged in at the dock (of course unless you have a gen) to a 110 converter or prob a 30 amp power cord. As for accessories, when on DC out on the water, the only massive pull on the batteries is the stereo with big power. I highly reccomend taking a jump pack as usual but also only utilizing one battery on your battery selector the first few times until you learn your boats capacity. We've gone dead several times after a long day of running the frig, stereo, DC outlet for airing up rafts, etc. I do recommend getting the 110 converter because some docks you will overnight at can not accomodate all power cords, meaning have only had one slip left for the night and it was a 50 amp plug in and we have a 30 amp plug. Therefore, the 110 can usually plug into a regular outlet. Good luck and congrats on new boat.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer01 View Post
    Most all of the newer options with the shorepower do run just like you said MT, they will have a switch for running accessories on AC or DC. The AC will only run when plugged in at the dock (of course unless you have a gen) to a 110 converter or prob a 30 amp power cord. As for accessories, when on DC out on the water, the only massive pull on the batteries is the stereo with big power. I highly reccomend taking a jump pack as usual but also only utilizing one battery on your battery selector the first few times until you learn your boats capacity. We've gone dead several times after a long day of running the frig, stereo, DC outlet for airing up rafts, etc. I do recommend getting the 110 converter because some docks you will overnight at can not accomodate all power cords, meaning have only had one slip left for the night and it was a 50 amp plug in and we have a 30 amp plug. Therefore, the 110 can usually plug into a regular outlet. Good luck and congrats on new boat.
    Good advice on the 110 plug. You can also use that at home to run the boat and accessories or charge the batteries!

8. Collapse Details

It's cool they are getting her all ready for you. Did you get into Doyne's yet?

9. Collapse Details

I guess I`m still on the waiting list cause I haven`t heard anything.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Medicine View Post
    Good advice on the 110 plug. You can also use that at home to run the boat and accessories or charge the batteries!
    Sweet, so when I piss the wife off I can sleep in the boat!

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL View Post
    LoL. My Dad did! How many people get a Real waterbed!??
    Hope it all goes well for you!

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL View Post
    Kinda funny, I did do it!!!!! My kids used to like to sleep in the boat in the driveway as a campout and watch movies. Expensive damn tent!!!!!!!

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer01 View Post
    Kinda funny, I did do it!!!!! My kids used to like to sleep in the boat in the driveway as a campout and watch movies. Expensive damn tent!!!!!!!
    Nice tent

14. Collapse Details

Standard in that boat is1 battery per engine, and a switch per engine that allows single or other or share (both). The boats DC main panel and the dash panel & switches will pull from only 1 of those batteries. So all Dc stuff -fridge, stereo, etc could run down that battery, as long gas the switches are set right. So run it dead and use 2and batt to start both engines then swicth back. While there probalby is a AC switch for the fridge, I doubt it's actually connected, most are not. The charger at night keeps the batts up. The firdge alone will run fine a day on batt, but add stereo and it depletes fast.

When you get the boat, test the switch positions to ensure you get it right on the water. There are several ways they can be hooked up, and you only know when you test.

The shorewpower package should have included a charger. They mount various places, but siimply compare battery voltage with the switch on and off (12.x off, 13.5+ on). The charge wires might attach to the batteries, or might be at the switch terminals, have to look.

I am watching your house daily so I could stop by after work and walk you through this stuff quickly one day.
    Last edited by paulb32; 04-09-2011 at 03:34 PM.

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by paulb32 View Post

I am watching your house daily so I could stop by after work and walk you through this stuff quickly one day.
    That would be awesome Paul!

Picking up next weekend, this weekend I~m getting a spot ready for where its gonna sit.
    Thought it was going to be just some tractor fun but it turns out under the grass is some old driveway/ patio/?? all day instead of moving soil I`m breaking up cement