Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 68
  1. Collapse Details
     
    #41
    Snomad good job on getting the boat all back together. I know what its like to redo one and get it out on the water for the 1st time. Unfortunately for me I had to pull the motor back out of mine as it dropped a valve seat and destroyed a few pistons with only 2.5 hrs on the newly rebuilt motor. I'm hoping to have it back together before the 4th of July. I appreciate the article you sent me. A buddy also had a old hot boat magazine where they tested a 24 Python with a blower on it. They quit running it at 82 mph as they said it got to scary. Pretty interesting read though. Good luck on getting all the little issues worked out.
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    #42
    Charter Member old377guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Lake Oswego OR
    Posts
    3,739
    Way to go!
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    #43
    Registered
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Tomahawk, WI
    Posts
    22
    Took her out on Monona and it was very choppy. Not the best conditions to learn the boats handling characteristics - I learned a lot!

    I should have some pictures up in a day or so...
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    #44
    Founding Member Bobcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Gato RD. Little Torch Key
    Posts
    22,762
    Cool!
    Parabellum FJB
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    #45
    Charter Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Murrayville, GA
    Posts
    39
    I knew a python 24 once that ran 107 with about 800hp
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    #46
    Charter Member J-Bonz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Johnson Creek, WI / Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    749
    Quote Originally Posted by snomad View Post
    Took her out on Monona and it was very choppy. Not the best conditions to learn the boats handling characteristics - I learned a lot!

    I should have some pictures up in a day or so...
    Sweet!!
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    #47
    Registered
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Tomahawk, WI
    Posts
    22
    Here are the pictures as promised (but late). I had the boat out again this weekend after rebuilding the carb and changing out fuel filters. I hate to admit but my problem is worse! I believe the fuel pump may be failing but have not yet diagnosed.

    As you know - I had to build a garage extension to work on the boat over th winter. Here we are dismantling the "box" to remove the patient from sick bay.


    Got her out of the garage and running on the muffs for the first time since last fall.


    Here is a shot of the interior...


    And a shot on the trailer...which needs work too!


    Here is a look into the cabin. I have not yet made the strips to clean up the transition from hull sides to cap.


    Finally - a picture of her wet!


    Work continues, tweaking and tuning.
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    #48
    Founding Member Bobcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Gato RD. Little Torch Key
    Posts
    22,762
    She sits nice in the water.
    Parabellum FJB
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    #49
    Charter Member old377guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Lake Oswego OR
    Posts
    3,739
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    She sits nice in the water.
    so does my wife
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    #50
    Amazing how close the lines are to a Pantera
    Reply With Quote
     

  11. Collapse Details
     
    #51
    Founding Member Buoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Apache Jct. AZ
    Posts
    5,290
    Quote Originally Posted by rchevelle71 View Post
    Amazing how close the lines are to a Pantera
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".
    Reply With Quote
     

  12. Collapse Details
     
    #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Buoy View Post
    When(if) I win the lottery, I am gonna get me a set of molds from one of the splashes, and have Chris modify/stretch/step it, and start building boats

    How about a 26x7 stepped hull with Kevlar/carbon layup
    Reply With Quote
     

  13. Collapse Details
     
    #53
    Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    36,301
    Blog Entries
    41
    Very nice.....
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!
    Reply With Quote
     

  14. Collapse Details
     
    #54
    Registered
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Tomahawk, WI
    Posts
    22
    I think we have figured out our fuel delivery problem. I pulled the sending unit to get a good look into the tank and was pleasantly surprised to see a VERY clean interior, no apparent water in the fuel and only a little debris in the bottom. The pickup is an aluminum tube with no screen/filter on the bottom. Pulling fuel through the pickup with the electric pump, however, produced significantly less volume than pulling it direct through a 3/8" hose inserted into the fuel. We pulled the pickup tube out of the tank, separated it from the fitting and found a screen at the top of the tube...that had enough dirt and crap in it to start a small potato farm! Water test tonight!

    Reply With Quote
     

  15. Collapse Details
     
    #55
    Registered rschap1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    murray lake lowell mi
    Posts
    4,602
    Looking very nice!!
    Good Luck with next outing
    Reply With Quote
     

  16. Collapse Details
     
    #56
    Registered
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Tomahawk, WI
    Posts
    22
    Got out last night for a brief water test. I am happy to say the fuel delivery issue is resolved. Now we need to tune.

    Installed a 4-blade Hydromotive 25P and it eliminated the cavitation problem. Finally got the boat running in the 60's and it is a handful to drive. We were chased off the lake by storms, so did not have much time to tinker. We made some adjustments back at the shop and will run again this weekend. I think hydraulic steering is in my (near) future.
    Reply With Quote
     

  17. Collapse Details
     
    #57
    Quote Originally Posted by snomad View Post
    Got out last night for a brief water test. I am happy to say the fuel delivery issue is resolved. Now we need to tune.

    Installed a 4-blade Hydromotive 25P and it eliminated the cavitation problem. Finally got the boat running in the 60's and it is a handful to drive. We were chased off the lake by storms, so did not have much time to tinker. We made some adjustments back at the shop and will run again this weekend. I think hydraulic steering is in my (near) future.
    Oh YEAH,

    gotta have hydraulic over 60 in a 24x7
    Reply With Quote
     

  18. Collapse Details
     
    #58
    Registered
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Tomahawk, WI
    Posts
    22
    Based on last night's experience, I am not sure how this thing has been on the water for 20+ years without it. Yikes!!!
    Reply With Quote
     

  19. Collapse Details
     
    #59
    I would be looking for something else to be the handleing problem. I have had a few of these with 502's and NEVER had one to be hard to drive at all. You should also be seeing 70+ mph. At 70 you should not need more than one hand on the wheel. These boats usually do not start to get squarly untill about 80. Mabe check the gimble ring for play, drive line, or it could be that that prop is just not good for that boat. Hydraulic steering is great, once you have a boat with it, you will never have one without. Unfortunatly I do not think that it would fix you problem though.
    Reply With Quote
     

  20. Collapse Details
     
    #60
    Registered
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Tomahawk, WI
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by liquordistributor View Post
    I would be looking for something else to be the handleing problem. I have had a few of these with 502's and NEVER had one to be hard to drive at all. You should also be seeing 70+ mph. At 70 you should not need more than one hand on the wheel. These boats usually do not start to get squarly untill about 80. Mabe check the gimble ring for play, drive line, or it could be that that prop is just not good for that boat. Hydraulic steering is great, once you have a boat with it, you will never have one without. Unfortunatly I do not think that it would fix you problem though.
    Thanks for the suggestions and input. We are focused on the gimble and stock steering now. I was blowing out the Mirage Plus 25P, but have it back on for the next test to see if it impacts the erratic handling I had last night. We'll get it dialed in soon and I appreciate the feedback!!
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •