Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    NEW DART 8.1 HEADS
    SO Tech Expert/Competitor/Charter Member
    Getting ready to test the new Dart 8.1 496 heads. We also have this sheet metal single plane manifold that will be later cast in aluminum and also a duel plane manifold. We will run the manifolds with a 850 carb but the manifolds will also be availible with fuel injector ports. I am also going to put a Mefi 4b on and run the stock efi intake.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0007.jpg   100_0008.jpg   100_0004.jpg  

The Michigan Madman
    url]www.crockettmarineengines.com[/url]

2. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    Nice! Are those cast iron heads(kinda looks like it in the pics)? Keep us posted on results. Do you have any flow numbers?

Bob
    Full Throttle Marine

3. Collapse Details

Good Luck
    Looks like a pretty cool intake set up there

4. Collapse Details

I've been keeping my eyes open for some 496 Alluminum heads to replace my stock merc heads when I refresh my Whippled 496. Raylar is the only one so far that I know of. Options would be nice!

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by FTMBOB View Post
    Nice! Are those cast iron heads(kinda looks like it in the pics)? Keep us posted on results. Do you have any flow numbers?

Bob
    Yes Bob they are iron and they flow better than a fully ported stock head and these are right out of the box so there is plenty of room for porting. I ran this setup yesterday on a stock shortblock with just a cam change and made almost 600 HP. We are going to put the stock efi manifold on and a Mefi 4 today and run it.
    The Michigan Madman

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Donskihp View Post
    I've been keeping my eyes open for some 496 Alluminum heads to replace my stock merc heads when I refresh my Whippled 496. Raylar is the only one so far that I know of. Options would be nice!

We are going to have a camshaft package with the heads for a bolt on power gain that will be real cost effective.
    The Michigan Madman

7. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Crockett View Post
    Yes Bob they are iron and they flow better than a fully ported stock head and these are right out of the box so there is plenty of room for porting. I ran this setup yesterday on a stock shortblock with just a cam change and made almost 600 HP. We are going to put the stock efi manifold on and a Mefi 4 today and run it.
    Are you able to adjust the MEFI 4 parameters to take advantage of the better flow, etc? Or does it have to be replaced with an after market brain like my Haltech's?
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

8. Collapse Details

600 HP naturall aspirated, impressive, so what would we be looking at with a Whipple screw kit and CMI sport tubes? I'm a real gluttin for punishment,because it took Dustin Whipple 9 months to get my PCM to work with my motor.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    Are you able to adjust the MEFI 4 parameters to take advantage of the better flow, etc? Or does it have to be replaced with an after market brain like my Haltech's?

Rat I can program the Mefi controller. I ran it today with the stock efi manifold and mfi 4 and it made real big power and torque. We are ging to try some new things with the heads and a different cam profile to make it better yet.
    The Michigan Madman

10. Collapse Details

Here are the pics with the stock efi manifold.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0002.jpg   100_0004.jpg   100_0005.jpg  

The Michigan Madman

11. Collapse Details

Talked to Don Hardesty @ Dart Machine works, and asked him if Dart had any plans to build any alluminum 8.1 (496) heads. His reply was if the demand is there they will build them. I don't know about any one else but I would love to change up mine for a pair of Alluminum performance heads. There lighter and run cooler!

12. Collapse Details

Talked to Don Hardesty @ Dart Machine works, and asked him if Dart had any plans to build any alluminum 8.1 (496) heads. His reply was if the demand is there they will build them. I don't know about any one else but I would love to change up mine for a pair of Alluminum performance heads. There lighter and run cooler!
    You must be a fresh water boater.

13. Collapse Details

Don most of the 496 engines are closed water cooled so I don't think you will run much cooler with aluminum heads. You could get a little more agressive with the compression and timming with the aluminum heads but with the Mercury ecu you can't do that. Yes you could take 80 pounds of weight off the back end of the boat but that could hurt you more if you throw your center of gravity off.
    The Michigan Madman

14. Collapse Details

NO, I boat in the Chesapeake bay, but with fresh water cooling alluminum heads should hold up well.

15. Collapse Details

Tyler, Your probably correct about the merc ECU. My boat has gained some weight in the back, when I added the CMI sport tubes,and then some more when I added the Hardin thermostatic oil cooler. The whipple suppercharger probably did't add any weight. If I were to have new heads ported and pollished that would help performance without reprograming correct?

16. Collapse Details

Tyler, Your probably correct about the merc ECU. My boat has gained some weight in the back, when I added the CMI sport tubes,and then some more when I added the Hardin thermostatic oil cooler. The whipple suppercharger probably did't add any weight. If I were to have new heads ported and pollished that would help performance without reprograming correct?

Anytime you move more air you also need fuel unless you can raise your fuel pressure to make up for the air. You may run into a problem with it rich at idle or mid range or top end only.
    The Michigan Madman

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Crockett View Post
    We are going to have a camshaft package with the heads for a bolt on power gain that will be real cost effective.
    Thats what iam looking for..............

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Fast-Trukin View Post
    Thats what iam looking for..............

We will be testing the new camshaft this week.
    The Michigan Madman

19. Collapse Details

Tyler - How come the Merc MEFI 4 electronic control unit cannot be programed for more aggressive compression and timing? is this any different than the 500EFI ecu? - thought MEFI 4 was all the same?

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by SeaHorse24 View Post
    Tyler - How come the Merc MEFI 4 electronic control unit cannot be programed for more aggressive compression and timing? is this any different than the 500EFI ecu? - thought MEFI 4 was all the same?

The Mefi 4B we use has more tables than the Mefi 3. This motor has 9.1 to 1 compression and on 91 octane it does not like more than 31 degrees timing with a 107 cc combustion chamber.
    The Michigan Madman