Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

We don't have to worry about the married thing! It would take me too long to get both set of blowers and the weight bench out of the living room. Plus you can't have cold blowers and carbs. If I had alittle more room my chopper would be in there too.
    Ryan

2. Collapse Details

What are you talking about, the Chopper was in the living room last winter wasn't it? I think it is great having that stuff in the living room, especially the weight bench because it prevents that walk of shame for the women upstairs when there is a perfectly could place to work out in the L.R. !!!!!!!!!!!! Looking good bro, hope the Caddy and bike go away soon so the rest of the fun can begin!!!!

3. Collapse Details

Went down to the storage building yesterday. Got to soak the bilge a few times with some degreaser. A few more applications will be needed, along with some HOT pressure washing. Bilge will be getting a fresh coat of paint.

The will be a couple nice cosmetic additions being done to the exterior.

Brought the blown motor home. Gotta tear into in and see how bad it is. New motors gonna be getting started soon. However, we may go thru the old 509CI mills so we have a spare pair in the garage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0476.jpg  

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER View Post
    Went down to the storage building yesterday. Got to soak the bilge a few times with some degreaser. A few more applications will be needed, along with some HOT pressure washing. Bilge will be getting a fresh coat of paint.

The will be a couple nice cosmetic additions being done to the exterior.

Brought the blown motor home. Gotta tear into in and see how bad it is. New motors gonna be getting started soon. However, we may go thru the old 509CI mills so we have a spare pair in the garage.
    Who are the 2 goof balls in the pic??? Trade the motors for a lightly used 07 Apex????

5. Collapse Details

Yeah...those guys in the pic...do they do bilges often? Cuz I'd like to get mine done as well now that the motors are out...

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by redhotsommer View Post
    Yeah...those guys in the pic...do they do bilges often? Cuz I'd like to get mine done as well now that the motors are out...
    All you need to do is supply the chocolate martini's and they'll be there.

7. Collapse Details

All you need to do is supply the chocolate martini's and they'll be there.

8. Collapse Details

Hay! Joe Az nice Avitar, But it Don't Look like no Beaker Boat More like a Flat Deck, What ! U Changa U Mine ! Or maybe U Changa somtin elsa !

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tony M View Post
    Hay! Joe Az nice Avitar, But it Don't Look like no Beaker Boat More like a Flat Deck, What ! U Changa U Mine ! Or maybe U Changa somtin elsa !
    Longga time we no talkaa maybe you forgetta my number??? Quesadiche?

Me still hava the "Fontana". Me no hava da monny for a "Sigaretta"

le sigarette sono troppo lenti per me

10. Collapse Details

Vive "la Fontana!" Por cent'anni.

11. Collapse Details
    Eah ! Number !
    Longga time we no talkaa maybe you forgetta my number??? Quesadiche?

Me still hava the "Fontana". Me no hava da monny for a "Sigaretta"

le sigarette sono troppo lenti per me
    No! Seam To Work , Leave A Masazi Or Da E mail Ting May b No one at su Casa ! Im A Donno Maybe U Changa Da Number . .

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by redhotsommer View Post
    Vive "la Fontana!" Por cent'anni.
    soprattutto con i nuovi motori!!!

13. Collapse Details

Speako englisho pleaso.

14. Collapse Details

Got the engine torn down that was vomiting oil out the dipstick. I believe the #2 and #7 cylinder head gaskets blew. Was putting compression right into the lifter valley. We think this happened when the rocker nuts broke, which in turn loosened the rockers enough that the valves were not opening. Compression had to go somewhere, and took the headgaskets out.

Anyhow, it looks as if the motors will be fully rebuilt, with 4.250 callies cranks, 6.385 oliver rods, turning them into 540+CI. New roller cams, a little headwork, basically all new valvetrain. Should make for a nice foundation for the mooneyhams and intercoolers.

If anyone is looking for stock 4.00 stroke one piece rear seal GM steel cranks, 4.500 JE flattop pistons, and manley H beam rods, let me know. They will be for sale...So far all looks to be in good shape. The few bearings we pulled looked good.

15. Collapse Details

Got the engine torn down that was vomiting oil out the dipstick. I believe the #2 and #7 cylinder head gaskets blew. Was putting compression right into the lifter valley. We think this happened when the rocker nuts broke, which in turn loosened the rockers enough that the valves were not opening. Compression had to go somewhere, and took the headgaskets out.

Anyhow, it looks as if the motors will be fully rebuilt, with 4.250 callies cranks, 6.385 oliver rods, turning them into 540+CI. New roller cams, a little headwork, basically all new valvetrain. Should make for a nice foundation for the mooneyhams and intercoolers.

If anyone is looking for stock 4.00 stroke one piece rear seal GM steel cranks, 4.500 JE flattop pistons, and manley H beam rods, let me know. They will be for sale...So far all looks to be in good shape. The few bearings we pulled looked good.

Intake or exhaust valves not opening ?? Got pics of the head gaskets ??

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 10x View Post
    Intake or exhaust valves not opening ?? Got pics of the head gaskets ??
    Dont have any pics, but the gasket's blew out in about the 12 oclock position, if you were looking at the engine from the side with the heads off. Basically as close to the lifter valley as they could be.

As for which valves werent opening I couldnt tell ya. I think Ryan had been out boating that day, and motor ran like $hit, so he took it back and put it in the slip. I remember him saying the boost gauge was going banana's. I thought maybe he lost the cam. It was 90 degrees the night we yanked the valve covers, and all i remember was we found a couple rockers laying there. I believe there was at least one bent pushrod, from the rocker coming loose and it binding up. I remember at that point, we decided to replace the poly locks, bent pushrod, adjust all the valves, lifters all looked fine, re-time it and run it. He had plans to yank them in the fall anyhow. Well, apparently the damage was done. The motor actually idled and ran ok after puttting it back together. but once he got on it, it just built up so much crankcase psi, it puked oil everywhere. Which he really didn't get a chance to run it until the ride to Michigan city for the races. Thats when he figured something major was wrong.

As for why the poly locks broke, I don't know. They were on there for a long time with no issues. No signs of detonation on the pistons or valves, only thing i can think of, is that there was too much valve lash (solid rollers) or valve springs were getting weak and floating the valves. Did not see any broken though. I can see one poly lock breaking just because, but more than one lock breaking at one time, something weird was going on. The poly locks split down the side if i remember right.

However, this time, he is going to a maintainance free hydraulic roller setup. He should have a nice setup when its all done.

17. Collapse Details

Dont have any pics, but the gasket's blew out in about the 12 oclock position, if you were looking at the engine from the side with the heads off. Basically as close to the lifter valley as they could be.

As for which valves werent opening I couldnt tell ya. I think Ryan had been out boating that day, and motor ran like $hit, so he took it back and put it in the slip. I remember him saying the boost gauge was going banana's. I thought maybe he lost the cam. It was 90 degrees the night we yanked the valve covers, and all i remember was we found a couple rockers laying there. I believe there was at least one bent pushrod, from the rocker coming loose and it binding up. I remember at that point, we decided to replace the poly locks, bent pushrod, adjust all the valves, lifters all looked fine, re-time it and run it. He had plans to yank them in the fall anyhow. Well, apparently the damage was done. The motor actually idled and ran ok after puttting it back together. but once he got on it, it just built up so much crankcase psi, it puked oil everywhere. Which he really didn't get a chance to run it until the ride to Michigan city for the races. Thats when he figured something major was wrong.

As for why the poly locks broke, I don't know. They were on there for a long time with no issues. No signs of detonation on the pistons or valves, only thing i can think of, is that there was too much valve lash (solid rollers) or valve springs were getting weak and floating the valves. Did not see any broken though. I can see one poly lock breaking just because, but more than one lock breaking at one time, something weird was going on. The poly locks split down the side if i remember right.

However, this time, he is going to a maintainance free hydraulic roller setup. He should have a nice setup when its all done.

Was it #2 & #7 that lost the poly locks ??? If it was , and it was the intake valve, then there's no way that the cylinder could've had any compression in it to take out the head gasket. Even at #15 lbs boost, the head gaskets should've stayed in place, and I doubt that it made anywhere near those #'s.
    If it was the exhaust valves that lost the rockers, then it would've been popping through the carbs like crazy especially when under load. What head gaskets were on there ??

18. Collapse Details

I can't remember if #2 lost the poly locks, but # 7 I do remember. Felpro headgaskets and arp head studs. He ran only 3psi of boost. I'll have to ask Ryan if it popped thru the carb or exhaust when he noticed it wasn't running right....

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 10x View Post
    Was it #2 & #7 that lost the poly locks ??? If it was , and it was the intake valve, then there's no way that the cylinder could've had any compression in it to take out the head gasket. Even at #15 lbs boost, the head gaskets should've stayed in place, and I doubt that it made anywhere near those #'s.
    If it was the exhaust valves that lost the rockers, then it would've been popping through the carbs like crazy especially when under load. What head gaskets were on there ??
    I can't remember if #2 lost the poly locks, but # 7 I do remember. Felpro headgaskets and arp head studs. He ran only 3psi of boost. I'll have to ask Ryan if it popped thru the carb or exhaust when he noticed it wasn't running right....
    Pretty sure it was popping, I was on the boat when it happened. Almost sounded like it rounded a cam lobe

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Medicine View Post
    Pretty sure it was popping, I was on the boat when it happened. Almost sounded like it rounded a cam lobe
    Do you recall it popping from the exhaust or the the carb?