1. Collapse Details
    28SS race boat pics please
    I found a Cig 28SS for sale near to my house. Its been fully restored so very clean. Price is a good deal, so I'm thinking of buying it just because such a good value that don't think can pass on her!!!!!

Despite being restored thinking of making her into a replica race configuration and need some idea's to make me want her even more!!!!!!!

2. Collapse Details

In the mid to late 70's, most of the 28 Cigs/27 Magnums had only a chicken bar to hold on to with throttle mounts and a 3 man bolster. There was the Flying Machine, probably one of the more popular race 28's...here's a pic of our boat, but its just basic 28 SS weekend racer.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28ss-boat.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	430.6 KB 
ID:	67058
    Last edited by McCaffertee; 11-01-2010 at 06:31 PM.

3. Collapse Details

Thanks........The current pleasure set up kind of dates the boat. So em thinking weekend racer look will be a better look!

4. Collapse Details

Here are a few 28' Cig's from back in the day...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cig Sea Saw.jpg   P-302.jpg   Cig 28' 33.jpg  

5. Collapse Details

Anymore pics of the P-302 boat ? That's a weird set up. The open fish with a three man bolster ?

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Premier Perf View Post
    Anymore pics of the P-302 boat ? That's a weird set up. The open fish with a three man bolster ?
    The P-302 & the Candy Man 28' open Cig was raced here on Lake St Clair back in the day,, here are a few more pic's..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cig P-302 h2o.jpg   Cig & Tahiti h2o.jpg  

7. Collapse Details

Sea Saw is the general look that I think I'll go for.

8. Collapse Details

Competitor
    Question: There have been many 27 Magnums that have been successfully converted to single engine. Has anyone done this with a 28SS? There was an old 28SS race boat "Super Toad" that was built as a single-haven't seen any others?? Any out there?

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Shafts View Post
    Question: There have been many 27 Magnums that have been successfully converted to single engine. Has anyone done this with a 28SS? There was an old 28SS race boat "Super Toad" that was built as a single-haven't seen any others?? Any out there?
    The #90 Sea Saw raced APBA open class II with a single big block just like Super Toad & the Factory single engine Magnums of Head Hunter, Screaming Yellow Zonker, & Broad Jumper.. In the mid 70's APBA class II had a nice single 482cu engine class..

10. Collapse Details
    Head Hunter
    Head Hunter / Thumper Too was a 29'9 with # 3 drives and a stroked 482.It is down in Naples Fl.with Roger Munn awaiting a engine rebuild.Attached a few photos of it. Bud
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1 A Thumper Two Photos reduced.jpg   1 D.jpg   1 E.jpg  

6 APBA 1977.jpg   THUMPER2.jpg  

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Shafts View Post
    The original factory built "single" engine Magnum 27 was.....

A boat called Screamin Yellow Zonkers, doubt many know this boat, but it ran really well. Guessing it was early 70's. Anybody ever hear of it? Out of Grosse Point michigan!

12. Collapse Details

The seller is not available for two weeks. Its going to be a tough wait but convinced she is the right boat and good winter project converting into a race look. Thanks for pictures have given me good idea's.

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by McCaffertee View Post
    The original factory built "single" engine Magnum 27 was.....

A boat called Screamin Yellow Zonkers, doubt many know this boat, but it ran really well. Guessing it was early 70's. Anybody ever hear of it? Out of Grosse Point michigan!
    George Cassels Zonker became Double Vision than Mike [No Cig] had her till he sold her to a New Zelander two years ago..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mag Zonker.jpg  

14. Collapse Details

Here's one
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Magnum 32.jpg  

15. Collapse Details
    Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by h2oMag View Post
    George Cassels Zonker became Double Vision than Mike [No Cig] had her till he sold her to a New Zelander two years ago..
    Ahhhhhh....very good! I remember the day he first ran that boat (Lake St. Clair) and it was awesome - his kid and I were best buds back then. When he bought that boat he also had a lil' donzi, brown, called Hot Chocolate.
    Thanks

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by McCaffertee View Post
    Ahhhhhh....very good! I remember the day he first ran that boat (Lake St. Clair) and it was awesome - his kid and I were best buds back then. When he bought that boat he also had a lil' donzi, brown, called Hot Chocolate.
    Thanks
    Wasn't there a single engine Magnum Sport called Tuff Kote Dinol or just Tuff Kote out of Mich. in the mide 70s? I think the owner was named Jerry D. , he later brought a Open Class V bottom race boat.He and Rocky Aoki were almost killed in San Francisco Bay prepping for a race. Stuffed the boat.

Thank you
    Jim
    Last edited by dammmagnum; 11-05-2010 at 07:27 PM.

17. Collapse Details

Here's another one sort of
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cig 1.jpg  

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by dammmagnum View Post
    Wasn't there a single engine Magnum Sport called Tuff Kote Dinol or just Tuff Kote out of Mich. in the mide 70s? I think the owner was named Jerry D. , he later brought a Open Class V bottom race boat.He and Rocky Aoki were almost killed in San Francisco Bay prepping for a race. Stuffed the boat.

Thank you
    Jim
    The sister Mag to Zonker was Frank Szykulas #288-BROAD JUMPER. Jerry bought her, & first raced her as Caesars Palace, than Tuff Kote before her raced the open class 38' Cobra. My friend Dean purchased her, and renamed her Magnum Force.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mag Frank 1.jpg   mag-288.jpg   mags on the beach h2o.jpg  

mag 288 M F h2o.jpg  

19. Collapse Details

I like the two Magnums on the beach.......... I'm planning on meeting with the seller tomorrow and hopefully be on the water the rest of the weekend! Despite Vancouver's rain and rather chilly out!

20. Collapse Details

My dang bank put a hold on a check so couldn't pay for it yesterday--but now want her even more!!!!!!