Thread: Looking at a 38

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Looking at a 38
    Registered
    Im looking at a 1980 38' Scarab. It has a staggared setup with 454 BBC, Velvet trans and TRS drives. Boat looks solid but needs some work. What do I need to look for and what should I be aware of when looking at this boat? Any help is appreciated.

2. Collapse Details

Check for hook in hull. Get a moisture meter or a surveyor who has on and check out everything. If possible remove floorboards from center of cockpit and check out tank and surrounding structures. Look for water damage around portholes, docking lights, and hatches (be nice to switch them around to open the other direction -factory did this in 1983), check for standing water in anchor locker and compartment(s) below v-berth. check for structural integrity in bulkhead between cabin and cockpit especially where windshield attaches through to deck.(can leak through to bulkhead). It would be great to check to see if water runs all the way through from forward compartment to bilge. (if not water can sit in unaccessible area below cabin sole). Don't expect the bolster to be in very good shape internally; if it is, that's an overall plus. It's a given that it will need new shifter/throttle/indicator cables. To the degree possible check condition of gimbal pivots pins, transom assembly, leaks from drives and propeller movement fore and aft and side to side. See if the hydraulics work for drives and K planes. Tail pipes and manifolds need a looking over unless it has the original log manifolds which you would probably replace anyway. Remove port driveshaft cover and check condition of the shaft and bearings and inner transom assembly. The tiller steering is probably loose and there are options for factory type repair unless you will go to external hydraulic steering (for a boats capable of 70+ mph). Good luck, I've had two 38's including a 1980 w/staggereds so feel free to PM me. Jeff
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

3. Collapse Details

As Jeff mentioned, get a surveyor (powerboat surveyor) A cool boat can turn into a nightmare in a week !
    Parabellum FJ²B

4. Collapse Details

And Welcome to SOS !
    Parabellum FJ²B

5. Collapse Details

Registered
    Thanks to both of you. This will be my first big boat and know that it will be a project. Engines supposedly rebuilt two years ago with low hours and drives rebuilt about four years ago. Bulkhead between fuel tank and engine compartment appears cracked but I believe I have enough know how to replace it correctly. On the staggard setup the port engine appears to have little clearance with the rear seatback. in fact there is a square portion of the seatback cut out in front of the engine. Is this factory or something an owner has done.

Again thanks for the replys information. Im going to try to get a second look tomorrow.

Ned

6. Collapse Details

Have you ever had a boat? I only ask cause I see you wrote looking for my first. That is a big boat to learn on if so. If you look at it again and think you are serious about it get a survey on it. Good luck and get some pics!

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by NWC View Post
    Thanks to both of you. This will be my first big boat and know that it will be a project. Engines supposedly rebuilt two years ago with low hours and drives rebuilt about four years ago. Bulkhead between fuel tank and engine compartment appears cracked but I believe I have enough know how to replace it correctly. On the staggard setup the port engine appears to have little clearance with the rear seatback. in fact there is a square portion of the seatback cut out in front of the engine. Is this factory or something an owner has done.

Again thanks for the replys information. Im going to try to get a second look tomorrow.

Ned
    Every one that I've seen including mine had that cutout
    Last edited by old377guy; 10-30-2010 at 10:06 PM. Reason: missed word

8. Collapse Details

Registered
    Yes. All my experience is in 16 to 18 foot Checkmates and mid 20 foot fishing/dive boats. Sorry about the confusion. Always wanted an offshore go fast and now the time is right. If I get to look at it tomorrow, I plan on taking some pics to share.

Thanks

9. Collapse Details

Registered
    Thanks old377guy. I appreciate your knowledge these boats.

Ned

10. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Any questions or help you want, we'll do our best to help.

And welcome, a staggered setup is a better handling offshore boat.

Make sure you get the VIN hull number for the guys to check. I believe they can tell you what the layup is from that.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

11. Collapse Details

Whatever i might know, Paul knows in spades.

12. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by old377guy View Post
    Whatever i might know, Paul knows in spades.
    Oh no, I consider myself the village idiot compared to a lot of you guys.....
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

13. Collapse Details

That put's me mighty low on the totem pole

14. Collapse Details

Registered
    I got another look at the boat Sunday. Several panels on the cabin bulkheads have to be replaced due to moisture. Hatches and some of the portholes appear to be leaking. Couldnt get behind the headliner I do know the wood under the dash needs to be replaced. Most likely needs to be rewired too. Not all of the gages are working and it needs drive and tab indicators installed. Drives have what I believe is normal play when I lifted and moved them side to side and the props have normal lash when I rotated them back and forth. The engines souunt good, Not noises that shouldnt be there and they appear to be mounted solid. As for the vin. I could see where it should be but looks like its been glassed over. I dont know. The owner says he has a clear title and it does have a current SC sticker. Believe my next move might be to have a survey done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 80 Scarab 001.jpg   80 Scarab 004.jpg   80 Scarab 019.jpg  

80 Scarab 022.jpg   80 Scarab 009.jpg   80 Scarab 006.jpg  

15. Collapse Details

Be sure to check with your state's licensing/titleing agency to get informed about an ambiguous hull id number; not so much for this transaction, but for future ones. The look of the boat is about what I'd expect to see for the vintage. I'm assuming the price is somewhere between 14-18k. I also assume that the primary mechanicals (transmissions, drives and motors are able to be redone reasonably not replaced. The great thing about this set up is that for the considerable elbow grease it WILL take to make it look good again, you will have a lot of boat for the money. The boat is already at the bottom of the depreciation schedule. If you take leave of your sanity and put 40k into this boat, DO NOT make the silly but common mistake that the boat becomes worth 50-60k. Good luck and have fun with the old girl. - Jeff

16. Collapse Details

Walk away from the boat !! At a very fast clip... You can find a lot in better shape than what your showing us now. You will flush a lot of money down the toilet quick ! Just my observation from the pictures you posted.

Jim

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Cigboat#1 View Post
    Walk away from the boat !! At a very fast clip... You can find a lot in better shape than what your showing us now. You will flush a lot of money down the toilet quick ! Just my observation from the pictures you posted.

Jim
    Agreed, it looks like you could dump some money in it.

18. Collapse Details

By the looks of that engine compartment, its gonna take a lot of work and some serious change to get it right. Like mentioned above, its gonna take more money than the final prodject will be worth. Fix that boat only for the love of it!

19. Collapse Details
    others...
    Couple other older Wellcrafts on Ebay that have had some fixin-redoing already....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails excal.jpg   scarab.jpg  

20. Collapse Details

Now thats what Im talking about----- Nice older boats that you can start with that does not look like Rommel's Africa Corps took a dump in and left it out to dry.....

Jim