1. Collapse Details

Any contact email address?

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Senor Falcon View Post
    Any contact email address?

www.go-fast.com
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

3. Collapse Details

Have sent email and waiting fo an answer.

Anyone got any idea for mounting these engines, in the engine bay below.

Pete
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SDC11852.jpg   SDC11849.jpg  

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by old377guy View Post
    Talk to Marc at BAM in Miami
    Emailed Mark on the 4th, no reply as yet. Any other ideas?

Pete

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Senor Falcon View Post
    Emailed Mark on the 4th, no reply as yet. Any other ideas?

Pete
    Have you tried calling; they seemed pretty good in the past returning calls - good luck - Jeff
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

6. Collapse Details

well the way i look at it? the back of the motors bolt on to the inter plate.two bolts i would set the motor on the frist . then take cardboard and make a templet and get metal ,cut it like the templet and weld it to fit.

7. Collapse Details

Thanks Jeff, I´ll give that a try tomorrow.

Pete

8. Collapse Details

Thanks for that Bob. The main problem is, first the transom plate (inner and outer) have to be fitted, to bolt both V8 engines, complete with Velvet box´s, onto them. Not being 100% sure where the transom plates will be, makes this a little harder.

Also, 2 x 564 KG, hanging around, while I make cardboard templates, does worry me a little.

Thanks for your suggestion anyway.

Pete

9. Collapse Details
    Moving drives outboard (wider apart)
    Hi All, My original Alpha 1 drive centre´s were about 33". I have taken many measurements from the new engines and the centre´s should be about 37 3/4", allowing 4" between the engines. The TRS transom plates are bigger than the Alpha 1 plates but mostly vertically, the width is not much different. So, I need to move the drive holes about 2 1/2" outboard. Does this mean that I must replace the entire transom or can I build up the inner edge of the existing holes and open out the outer edge of the existing holes?

Either way, what´s the best way to do the job.

Pete

10. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    You have your hands full.. I would think adding a center stringer is in order.. Have you measured the length required for TRS? It looks tight length wise to me. Have you considered Bravo's?

Any way my 10 Meter has 502's, Gil exhaust, TRS and 33" centers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00092.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	68123

11. Collapse Details

How wide are your engines with exhaust? That is the pressing question for choosing centers.

12. Collapse Details

Hi,

Manifolds are 33 3/4" wide and then the turbo over hangs nearly 1", but, the other engine, with the turbo facing the same way, is 1" inside the edge of the manifold. So, I have 33 3/4" wide. How close are those engines? Do you have anything to stop them hitting each other?

See photos

Pete
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF2819-w1000-h1000.jpg   DSCF2822-w1000-h1000.jpg  
    Last edited by Senor Falcon; 12-14-2010 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Forgot something

13. Collapse Details

Take the time to figure it out exactly.. It may be worth the time to set them next to each other on the pallets and square them up to see where they meet. If you select a rubber type mount you will need to allow clearance for the engine to move in the mounts.. If you are going with a plate type solid mount you can position them tighter. Once you confirm those dimensions you can lay out your transom.

14. Collapse Details

I have a TRS installation manual I scanned a few pages from.. I am having trouble uploading them for you..I will post as soon as I figure out the problem.

15. Collapse Details

I hope you find this helpful.

Name:	TRS Installation page4.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	107.5 KB 
ID:	68130

Name:	TRS Installation page5.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	117.9 KB 
ID:	68131

Name:	TRS Installation page6.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	108.0 KB 
ID:	68132

I had to resize them to get them to load. If you double click on the image it will allow you to zoom some.

16. Collapse Details
    Thanks Jim
    Thanks Jim, everything you say makes sense. I agree with getting both engines side by side and will be working on that this week. When you say "plate" mountings, what are the "for and against" for using these mountings?

Those pictures are very helpful and if you could email them to me, they will probably be clearer when printed, if you don´t mind. Peter1961@hotmail.co.uk

If they are still wider than the existing, is it possible to move the drive holes an inch or two, by filling in one side (keyed into existing wood and fibreglass) or will I need to replace the entire transom?

Thanks again

Pete

17. Collapse Details

I have no experience with diesels and have no idea if they use the conventional mounting bolt patterns. If they are the same as the gas BBC or SBC these will work. 72514 is the port side and 72515 is stb. They work well and are widely used. They do however need stringers to accommodate them. Typically they bolt to the stringers with 1/2 aluminum angle. Once set up they become care free. The down side is they take much more time and effort to initially install them and properly align the engines. { in this case with the tight engine compartment it may be near impossible without an engine jig or dummy block }The stock type pedestal rubber mounted type{ that you appear to have already} allow the engine to be adjusted and aligned much easier. They do however allow the engine to move so more clearance is necessary. It will be much easier to use the latter.. The mounting provision you will need to fabricate wont need to be as exact since the mounts allow adjustment. The angle plates get installed to the stringers with the engine { or dummy block } hanging in position.

I checked the paper templates are still available.. Buy a pair of them and mock up the lay out and see how they overlap the existing holes.. My feeling is you will be filling the transom and adding a center stringer. Determine the centerline you are going to use. Layout the transom measure for mount placements and clearances.. It is going to be tight.

Name:	engine plate.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	68134

18. Collapse Details

Registered
    Senor Falcon, I have a pair of front engine plates ( same of above specs ) if you need them . I live in Mass. Zip 02043 "HIGH LIFE"

19. Collapse Details

Pete, Take a look at http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forum...ead.php?t=5054. Frank shared much info during his project which is similar to yours.

Below are some pix to show the different mounting configurations I was talking about.

http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forum...?t=5054&page=7 post #125 to see what stringers for plate mounts looks like and page 3 post #52 for pedestal mounts.

20. Collapse Details

Thanks Jim,

I read the entire thread and was very interested. After reading many threads and many of them saying that the entire transom should be replaced. I feel sure that the only reason to replace all of it, would be if there was any bad wood or glass. In my mind, I was thinking to overlap 1/2 ply x 3 but it looks like 3/4 x 2 is sufficient. Is there a "correct" amount to overlap the joints? and would I need to fill the entire hole or just the inner edge, that´s too close to the centre line? I have also heard that soaking the ply with resin, without catalyst, before the full resin "with catalyst" is used to join them. Is this good practice? It also appears that I need to find a TRS jig, if this is such an impossible task, with a basic template?

By moving the drives outboard, I guess that I can keep the engines far enough apart and not need the offshore mounts? Maybe I should be looking at a centre stringer and the "pedestal mounts"? Making the engines more stable with the hull and not needing that huge "RSJ" style mounting beam?

Thanks for all your help Jim.

Pete