Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Im sorry but please help me understand. Why?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron P View Post
    In Patchauge we took a vote and all the teams in attendance seemed to like the idea of receiving money to attend the OPA World Championship Races in Orange Beach. So here's the details of how it will work.

The Orange Beach Prize Purse is $50,000.

OPA will pay $1000 to each team that shows up and takes a green flag start.

If 45 boats show up, that leaves $5000 to be paid out to the Winners in each class - no additional payments to 2nd and 3rd since everyone was paid $1000 already.

If 55 boats show up, OPA will still pay $1000 to each boat takes a green flag start.

This offer is being made to any team that is registered with OPA, OSS, SBI or POPRA during the 2010 racing season. Additionally, there will be no Registration fees or Race Entry fees collected, so you can spend your money with the businesses in Orange Beach instead. Any non - registered boats can race for no fee but will not receive the $1000.

So just bring it and race, leave the BS on the beach. Lets see who's the best in Orange Beach.
    Im not sure what the official boat count was, but if it was 31, there was an additional $19,000 to be paid out to first place teams in each class. SV elected to waive their purse as did SC Turbine (Geico) So that leaves 8 classes. $2,375 +- per class. Why haven't they been paid? Its Christmas time and Im sure everyone could use a few extra bucks.

Class 6:
    1st Akula

Class 5:
    1st Power-One/Adrenaline Rush

Class 4:
    1st Simmons Racing

Class 3:
    1st Bull on the Beach

Class 1:
    1st Lightning Jack's

Super Vee Lite:
    1st Typhoon

Super Vee:
    1st Wazzup (Waived)

Super Cat Lite:
    1st Amsoil

Super Cat 750:
    1st Talkin n Trash

Extreme Super Cat:
    1st Qatar 96

Turbine: (Waived)
    1st Geico

Quote Originally Posted by Wazzup Racing View Post
    Eight races. I can't believe we did it. I look back not so many years, and can't believe how many great people I would have never met, if not for this crazy sport of ours. Thankyou to you all for allowing me to be part of your lives. From young gun Johnny Saris, to the old fart Evil Ed. (I can say that because he still doesn't even have cable TV never mind Internet.) What a great crew. You all make the OPA a family. One of which I am so proud. 2010 was off the hook. Stand by, 2011 will top it. Already working on next year. I will miss one guy the most. Haggin has been the single most generous man the sport has ever seen. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. Could not have done it without you. Haggins work is done, it is up to us to carry the ball. Our sport is probably the least recognized of all, but that's OK. I would rather be racing my boat in front of no one, than be on national TV, racing my lawnmower. WTF. Anyway, enjoy the offseason, it will be over in no time. See you in February for the awards. Smitty
    Smitty, with all due respect, thats all well and good, And congrats on another successful season. But the racers really count on the purse money to make it to the races. I understand sometimes the sites take a little time to pay OPA, but the little guys really need the money. I think its disrespectful to dance around the issue and avoid phone calls and emails from people looking to get their winnings. Personally, I would rather get my purse money paid on time, than see my boat on TV for a brief second. Because that brief second is most certainly not helping me obtain sponsorship. None of us are making a living racing. We do it because we love to race. As little as the purse is, we certainly appreciate it, and desperately need it, to continue racing.

So, why does it take so long to get paid at the races? And how many times can you send it to the incorrect address?

Please help me understand.

respectfully

Bruce Seroff

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by SVL66 View Post
    Im not sure what the official boat count was, but if it was 31, there was an additional $19,000 to be paid out to first place teams in each class. SV elected to waive their purse as did SC Turbine (Geico) So that leaves 8 classes. $2,375 +- per class. Why haven't they been paid? Its Christmas time and Im sure everyone could use a few extra bucks.

Class 6:
    1st Akula

Class 5:
    1st Power-One/Adrenaline Rush

Class 4:
    1st Simmons Racing

Class 3:
    1st Bull on the Beach

Class 1:
    1st Lightning Jack's

Super Vee Lite:
    1st Typhoon

Super Vee:
    1st Wazzup (Waived)

Super Cat Lite:
    1st Amsoil

Super Cat 750:
    1st Talkin n Trash

Extreme Super Cat:
    1st Qatar 96

Turbine: (Waived)
    1st Geico

Smitty, with all due respect, thats all well and good, And congrats on another successful season. But the racers really count on the purse money to make it to the races. I understand sometimes the sites take a little time to pay OPA, but the little guys really need the money. I think its disrespectful to dance around the issue and avoid phone calls and emails from people looking to get their winnings. Personally, I would rather get my purse money paid on time, than see my boat on TV for a brief second. Because that brief second is most certainly not helping me obtain sponsorship. None of us are making a living racing. We do it because we love to race. As little as the purse is, we certainly appreciate it, and desperately need it, to continue racing.

So, why does it take so long to get paid at the races? And how many times can you send it to the incorrect address?

respectfully

Bruce Seroff
    everyone is paid. Happy Holidays
    Wazzup Racing Engines
    OPA Racing

3. Collapse Details

Was that quick enough Ron? I guess if there are any more questions you could PM Louie The Rigger, Ron P or myself if your having trouble reaching Smitty instead of airing it out on the sites...That's what hurts associations.
    .......Augie Pensa.......

The Godfather

4. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor
    I will assume that means the checks went out yesterday 12/17/10. I have not been paid yet as of today and most of the others that have called me have not either. Augie, you Louie and Ron have never had anything to do with paying out the purse. Every time any of you have been asked about the purse payout its always the same answer You need to talk to Smitty. I don't see anything wrong with Bruce's question. Why???? hasn't the 20K been paid out to the winners?
    Forget all the finger pointing and who's right and wrong. In the future wouldn't it be better to have the race promoter that is putting up the stated amount of purse be the one to hand the checks out at the race site? It pretty simple.
    1.The promoter pledges a purse to be paid out.
    2. OPA tells the promoter terms of the payout. example. Tow money,top 3,which classes.
    3. OPA sends a e-mail out to all there races explaining the payout at the awards.
    4. Race is completed and promoter gets to stand on stage and hand out winnings.
    4. OPA gets to take pics. of the racers holding checks in had at the awards.
    5. OPA get great press for paying at the awards and happy racers keep coming back.
    6. OPA has no liability for the money.
    7. Race promoter breaks his promise,racers never go back to site.
    MD
    http://youtu.be/u0MEjFpPADY
    Typhoon racing SVL,P5,P4,
    THIS MY OPINION ONLY NOT OTHERS!!!!

5. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TYPHOON View Post
    I will assume that means the checks went out yesterday 12/17/10. I have not been paid yet as of today and most of the others that have called me have not either. Augie, you Louie and Ron have never had anything to do with paying out the purse. Every time any of you have been asked about the purse payout its always the same answer You need to talk to Smitty. I don't see anything wrong with Bruce's question. Why???? hasn't the 20K been paid out to the winners?
    Forget all the finger pointing and who's right and wrong. In the future wouldn't it be better to have the race promoter that is putting up the stated amount of purse be the one to hand the checks out at the race site? It pretty simple.
    1.The promoter pledges a purse to be paid out.
    2. OPA tells the promoter terms of the payout. example. Tow money,top 3,which classes.
    3. OPA sends a e-mail out to all there races explaining the payout at the awards.
    4. Race is completed and promoter gets to stand on stage and hand out winnings.
    4. OPA gets to take pics. of the racers holding checks in had at the awards.
    5. OPA get great press for paying at the awards and happy racers keep coming back.
    6. OPA has no liability for the money.
    7. Race promoter breaks his promise,racers never go back to site.
    MD

What a novel Idea, would they be the big 2ft x 4 ft checks???
    Some where in Kenya a village is missing an Idiot!

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by SVL66 View Post
    None of us are making a living racing. We do it because we love to race. As little as the purse is, we certainly appreciate it, and desperately need it, to continue racing.

respectfully

Bruce Seroff
    fair question.. why has it taken so long?? I, personally, find that totally unacceptable. Why not pay when the event concludes?
    does Santa's sleigh have a blower ?

7. Collapse Details

Simple. At many of the sites, the purse money is not available until after the event is run. The purse all season has been paid within two weeks of the event. After an eight race season, obviously it took a little creative financing to finish out the year. I appreciate the patience of the teams.

Randy, the one thing you are missing here is. OPA is probably the only racing ORG, that allows it's teams to race for free. As a result the only income is what is derived from the individual race sites. The registration money helps along the way, but goes fast. If I was to do what every other org does and charge 1500.00 per team per race to enter an event. We would pick up an additional 60,000.00 per event. Then I would not have to worry about prize money. Lets face it, everywhere else you race you are only winning back your own money. The org keeps the purse. We chose to be an organization that supports it's teams. Not asking the teams to support the organization.
    I am somewhat disheartened by your lack of support for anyone but yourself.
    You know always the guy crying poor mouth. OPA has helped you along the way many times and once again nothing but a slap in the face. I will run the OPA for it's teams the way I see fit. You my friend have a hard time tying your own shoes. So if you wish to race with OPA this year, it will cost you 1500.00 per event. This way I will have a few extra dollars to buy stamps, and send out checks a little faster. Smitty
    Wazzup Racing Engines
    OPA Racing

8. Collapse Details

Well sorry I wont be racing OPA in 2011. I dont want to trip on my shoes. Good luck getting any of the other SVL teams to give you $1500 per race as well. Or maybe thats just me you want to pay that.
    Buy the way OSS doesnt charge the SVL teams registration money at the site either. It comes out of there purse for the class and the winner normaly walks away with at least a $2000 check on the spot. And no money paid at registration. Sorry we couldnt work things out. Its your show.
    So guys and girls let this be a lesson. DONT ASK FOR YOUR MONEY or you will be charged more next year. Great message Smitty. Stop calling me I am done with you!
    Randy "The guy who cry's broke and trips threw life"

9. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor Dunbar 104's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete B View Post
    What a novel Idea, would they be the big 2ft x 4 ft checks???

I thought about playing golf just so I could get one of those checks. A big check and cheap champagne. That would be awesome!

Jenni

10. Collapse Details

Does OSS even exist?

11. Collapse Details

Dean, yes they do. First race is Biloxi. Working on several others. Mike M. and JB have been rebuilding a race schedual. As with every org its hard to get sites with money to have a race. Biloxi as always is a great host for the first race of the year for OSS. I hope you can make it this year. How is the Harrison race you produce? Is it on this year? Is it dead?
    MD

12. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo 214 View Post
    Does OSS even exist?
    Of course they do, who ever said they were gone?? Because they only had 2 races last year??? They still have people that manage the organization. and are looking at putting races together in 2011, they already have Biloxi and another site up in Indiana.

Please remember Biloxi has had this race since 2004, they missed a couple of years due to "Katrina" But came back. The town rolls the red carpet out to all racer's. And it sure would be a shame to lose a town that really loves boat racing!

13. Collapse Details

Dean, yes they do. First race is Biloxi. Working on several others. Mike M. and JB have been rebuilding a race schedual. As with every org its hard to get sites with money to have a race. Biloxi as always is a great host for the first race of the year for OSS. I hope you can make it this year. How is the Harrison race you produce? Is it on this year? Is it dead?
    MD
    Randy, I am not doing the Harrison Race any longer. I only filled in the get it rolling the first two years. I believe they now have a major sponsor to support the event so it should be a go. Two years is enough for me. I wish all the racers would put an event on just once. It would enlighten many as to how much work people like Smitty, Louie and Ed Smith put into our hobby.

14. Collapse Details

No doubt, Its a $hit load of work!!! I thank anyone willing to put that kind of time for one weekend a year. My hats off to any race promotor!!!
    MD

15. Collapse Details

Buy the way OSS doesnt charge the SVL teams registration money at the site either. It comes out of there purse for the class and the winner normaly walks away with at least a $2000 check on the spot. And no money paid at registration.
    Maybe off topic but I guess I'll ask.

So How much is it to race an OSS Spec class?

If I was to show up and race Superstock Cat how much should I bring per event for 2011? I looked on the OSS web site and could not find it (I very well could be missing it)

Thanks

16. Collapse Details

Found it...

I thought you were saying OSS was like OPA with a one time fee and no "per race" entry fees, thats what had me wondering.

carry on..

17. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TR View Post
    Found it...

I thought you were saying OSS was like OPA with a one time fee and no "per race" entry fees, thats what had me wondering.

carry on..
    I believe Randy was speaking of SVL, They have a agreement as he explained.
    As for SS, Beckley is the one to talk to.

18. Collapse Details

We live in michigan the land of unemployment if we had to pay 1500 per race most of us would have to stay home opa is the only way we can go racing .

19. Collapse Details

Thinking out loud. Other than the fact that it was advertised, why do boat racers assume a purse should be paid? The reason I say this is that there many other powersports with much better turnout, profitability, notarity and coverage that only payout trophies. I race motocross with my son and 500 riders show up. The winners are paid in trophies. Not saying I don't want to get paid for running my boat, but would you race for only trophies?

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo 214 View Post
    Thinking out loud. Other than the fact that it was advertised, why do boat racers assume a purse should be paid? The reason I say this is that there many other powersports with much better turnout, profitability, notarity and coverage that only payout trophies. I race motocross with my son and 500 riders show up. The winners are paid in trophies. Not saying I don't want to get paid for running my boat, but would you race for only trophies?

50$ entry fee per class and $55 dollar membership for the year?