Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Thanks Sharky , i was not aware of that and i guess i am never to old to learn something new and with that in mind ...................... Shifter you have an open hand .

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by glassdave View Post
    Artie when did Skater stop using AME4000 and go all epoxy? Or is that what the AME was? cant remember been a while
    Dave i will be talking with Pete this week on a few gas tank repair's that i will be starting and i will ask him when he thought the transition from conventional resin boats to Shell epoxy boat's began ,and no that is not what the AME was . Artie

3. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor glassdave's Avatar
    Yea i thought the AME was either a high quality poly or vinylester, wasnt sure. Good stuff at any rate.
    Throttles- Cleveland Construction/Traffic Light Racing 377 Talon cat

4. Collapse Details

SHARKEY-IMAGES
    Vinylester

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by glassdave View Post
    Yea i thought the AME was either a high quality poly or vinylester, wasnt sure. Good stuff at any rate.
    Dave very good stuff # 4000 #5000 and # (6000) which is mostly used when doing fusion because it is a very thin resin . Take care my friend

6. Collapse Details
    Wink
    Quote Originally Posted by SHARKEY-IMAGES View Post
    Vinylester
    You Dawgggggggggggggggg your on it now go back to takeing pictures .

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by SHARKEY-IMAGES View Post
    Vinylester
    thought it was something like that, thanks.

Hey the pic in you avitar, got a bigger shot of that? Looks like the Point this year. Danny was runnin the heck outta that boat.

8. Collapse Details

Nice thread guys I will stop in tomorrow .

9. Collapse Details
    SHARKEY-IMAGES
    Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Ginger View Post
    You Dawgggggggggggggggg your on it now go back to takeing pictures .
    There were a few things I did before taking photographs ....

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/p570079324/slideshow

10. Collapse Details

When we are done with the mods it will not be anywhere near the original part and I mean nothing similar. We just need it as a chassis to hold the shape of the new design. I just do not want to spend a fortune on glass to test a prototype.

I can see splashing a cat and getting a cat mold but that is not what we are doing.

There are several gantry mills around us, we are in So Cal the home of hot rodding.

Can you cut it with a skill saw blade? Can we use vinylester or do we have to know the original lay up?

pat W
    Unique Innovative Drivetrain Solutions

11. Collapse Details

SHARKEY-IMAGES
    If I am not mistaken, vinylester can be used over vinylester, epoxy can be used over vinylester, but vinylester cannot be used over epoxy.

12. Collapse Details

You are correct Sharkey

13. Collapse Details

thanks guys

14. Collapse Details

Dave AME is Ashland Modified Epoxy is A vinylester They play with the words here this is not an Epoxy by any streach … they react a epoxy base with an Acid (adipic for one) to place some Vinyl groups on the Epoxy molecule then with styrene as the reactive component we simply sweeten to taste with MEKP and use it. Back it the early days they would leave buckets of the old AME 4000 as samples (I was using the Dow 470-36 in those days) I tooled the PP 38 Molds with the AME 5000 and now they have a nice 6000 infusion resin.
    Slippery when wet. PODLESS TUNNEL www.cheetahcat.com ,Repairs, Modifications and Truing Cheap reliable speed.

15. Collapse Details

Shifter any core in that hull? and Yes you can cut it with a skill saw just screw down a guide and take "small bites" cheap carbide blade will go right through. Do it all the time on repair jobs.
    Slippery when wet. PODLESS TUNNEL www.cheetahcat.com ,Repairs, Modifications and Truing Cheap reliable speed.

16. Collapse Details

SHIFTER ( Pat ) is the original layup epoxy or ........................ Pat just a suggestion there are some epoxies out there that will give you more work time and the ability to lay up around 6 to 7 layers of glass with no problem . Pat Skater uses an epoxy that is just awesome and made by shell and the work time is unreal . I have just receved 5 gallons of Proset made by West system that MTI uses and the pot life is 90 min at 70 % to try out . i guess what i am trying to say issssssssssssssssss the less time spent grinding to achive structural intergrity is a god send .

17. Collapse Details

Is there a way to tell if it is epoxy or not? There is approx 2 inches of core, I have not taken a measurment it is just an estimate. lots of extra stringers.

I was looking at glassing in a sub structure to support the hull during the mods with the future shape already there. The deck is already gone in the dumpster. I have a feeling if I do not support the hull it will warp when we cut it. We are new to this. This is why I am asking.

I recently made a naca on the cnc as a guide for a rotozip, plus .625. It worked really well but it was a simple 1 inch thick, glass on both sides, penske board.

I can just wood screw the guides to the bottom right?

Thanks again for the input

pat W

Steve, we had to race against your boats in Dubai, I was with M13,M7,M1 in 95/96 that was fun, Abu Dahbi was tough, seemed like 30 boats. Were you there with Doug? Do you still make wooden hulls?

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by shifter View Post
    Is there a way to tell if it is epoxy or not? There is approx 2 inches of core, I have not taken a measurment it is just an estimate. lots of extra stringers.

I was looking at glassing in a sub structure to support the hull during the mods with the future shape already there. The deck is already gone in the dumpster. I have a feeling if I do not support the hull it will warp when we cut it. We are new to this. This is why I am asking.

I recently made a naca on the cnc as a guide for a rotozip, plus .625. It worked really well but it was a simple 1 inch thick, glass on both sides, penske board.

I can just wood screw the guides to the bottom right?

Thankd again for the input

pat W

Steve, we had to race against your boats in Dubai, I was with M13,M7,M1 in 95/96 that was fun, Abu Dahbi was tough, seemed like 30 boats. Were you there with Doug? Do you still make wooden hulls?

one quick way is if its gel coated it is likely poly. If its a thin coat of paint and right into laminate it is likely epoxy.

Definetly support the hull squarley and securley before you start taking out major structure.

Yes you can screw forms and guides on with any type of dry wall screw or sheet metal screw.

What kind of hull is it? pics? With the talent we have here lately i think we can come up with answers to anything you run across.

19. Collapse Details
    Smile
    It was an old raceboat, not to sure what, but it is a doner so I cannot complain. Cougar 38 maybe. It has those funny turned up strakes in the bow. It is all white and no deck. I took the measurements so I could make a base drawing and propose changes. I didin't get any photos, camera was dead. It is out of state so I cannot check what it is real easy. 20deg dead rise no steps and a notched transom.

That is all I know so far,

pat W

20. Collapse Details

Pat what year is the boat ? Pat a friend of mine has a 38 and another friend has a 46 and both boat's are made out of conventional resins and i think that your boat is not an epoxy boat but .........you never know and could we see some pics