Thread: 103 in an svl ?

Page 37 of 42 FirstFirst ... 27 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by imco offshore View Post
    Ron ,,talking about not understanding ,,,,I DON,T UNDERSTAND WHY A GUY NEEDS TO CARRY A LAPTOP INTO HIS BOSSES RACE BOAT AT THE RACES ,,WITH A STOCK 525 ??
    ANY GUESS ,,,Maybe he is adjusting the bilge pump timer thing,??

DO THEY HONESTLY THINK THIS CLASS IS SLEEPING ,,,!!!!

Sorry George,,,,,, I personally manage all the computer data of our boats, but this accusation is not worth responding to,,,

2. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor Ron P's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Miklos View Post
    How or why would you have an opinion on the legality of this boat?

Do you have direct experience with this boat?

Steve
    Steve, I've never sat in this boat and have no interest beyond hoping that this class doesn't completely tear itself apart because someone new came into the class. Mike A nailed it when he predicted this outcome the moment we heard of a new hull.

I called the Doc about the laptop issue. He said "Yes, I do take a laptop into the cockpit in order to download the SD card from the Garmin 5212. If I don't download the chip often, I'll loose data as it over writes the card".

I went through this same issue with OSS as the Cat Lite class continually insinuating that someone had hot boxes, so we bought new ones from Merc and handed them out randomly at the drivers meeting. This seemed to have solved the problem.

I'm interested in seeing a resolution to whatever problem is perceived. Nothing more. As a race producer I try my best to treat everyone equally, because I believe that racers will stop racing once they no longer feel they have a fair shot at winning a race. THIS IS WHAT I'D LIKE TO SEE AVOIDED.

There are two issues that I see.
    1. Is someone playing with ECMs?
    2. Is the Fountain hull simply faster than the Phantom and Extreme Hulls?

Steve, my point is, while this thread is entertaining, it's pointless. I'd like to see someone take the lead and move toward a resolution that will fix the problem of a new boat being faster than older hulls and keeping an eye toward the future so that it doesn't happen again.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ron P View Post
    I'd like to see someone take the lead and move toward a resolution that will fix the problem of a new boat being faster than older hulls and keeping an eye toward the future so that it doesn't happen again.
    Here is the best solution - SVL Classic. It is beyond ludicrous to keep arguing that the old boats can beat the new boats under the current rules. It is even more ridiculous to argue that rules can be written and enforced which will maintain parity given the current financial state of the sport and various sanctioning bodies. The LLC invested a fortune in Tech Rules and Enforcement and no one is in that position today.

I know people do not like hearing this and I completely understand why - people want to keep hope alive that the sport will grow or a particular class will really take off and be the next great thing upon which the sport can hook its wagon. But it is not going to happen. Ever. So, let the teams with the current classic equipment race and enjoy themselves. If there really is demand for new boats then let P1, Fountain, Outerlimits, etc. build a new class.

But it is not fair to allow the new boats to kick the crap out of the classic equipment. And it is even more obnoxious for people to pretend the crap kicking is the result of superior talent, testing, commitment, etc. Makes me want to hurl every time I see some putz suggesting that nonsense.

4. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor Ron P's Avatar
    I agree but it's too bad that the Rule Book didn't limit the hulls to just Phantom and Extreme so that any new players wouldn't be pushed off into yet another new class.

5. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor
    I agree but it's too bad that the Rule Book didn't limit the hulls to just Phantom and Extreme so that any new players wouldn't be pushed off into yet another new class.
    Agreed, but that is the risk you take when you build equipment without seeking an opinion.
    Steve

6. Collapse Details

Competitor / Charter Member imco offshore's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by saratoga stampede View Post
    Sorry George,,,,,, I personally manage all the computer data of our boats, but this accusation is not worth responding to,,,
    Thanks for the response ,,
    IMCO #10- 2009 National Champions

7. Collapse Details

No I didn't miss it. But I'm not clear on what you are saying...or implying?

Seems like you are implying someone is tampering with something in the boat. Correct? If so, why don't you guys swap ECM units right before the race?

I had to buy 20 ECMs from Merc Racing for the Cat Lite and 850 class because of rumors of the exact same thing. Call OSS and see if you can borrow a few.
    the class has always been for that ,,DO YOU THINK THE WHOLE CLASS WOULD GO FOR IT NOW (THE WHOLE CLASS) I WILL , AND I HAVE DONE IT TWICE,,IT WAS THE TECH INSPECTORS ORDERS,,,I WASN,T AWARE WE COULD REFUSE,,

8. Collapse Details

There are two issues that I see.
    1. Is someone playing with ECMs?
    2. Is the Fountain hull simply faster than the Phantom and Extreme Hulls?

# 1 I DON,T KNOW

#2 Ron i,m not denying the 12 year newer boat is not faster,,if it wasn,t the company deserves to be closed,,,,

but to demand the 12 year old boats CAN,T WORK ON THEM ,,,UNTILL HE HAS HIS WAY WITH THEM.....

OR NOT WILLING TO EXCEPT PARITY ,,UNTIL HE IS ,,THE BEST BOAT RACER IN THE WORLD,,
    WE already have our class ICONS,, WILL ROSS,,,,KOSTILOCKS....ALAN CAMBELL,,,
    WE ,,THE CLASS,, HAVE MOVED,,EXCHANGED PARITY,,ON AN OPEN VOTE FOR THE LAST 6 YEARS,,,,,NOW THAT FOUNTAIN IS HERE ,,ALL OF A SUDDEN WE CAN,T CHANGE ANY RULES UNTIL THE NEXT YEAR,,,

I HAVE A FEELING HE WILL NOT LIKE THE RULES FOR NEXT YEAR,!!!

I HAVE A QUESTION FOR YOU ?? WHAT AND WHEN HAS CAUSED THIS CLASS TO GO INTO TURMOIL.....AFTER 6 YEARS ,,,
    I KNOW WHATS KEEPING IT GOING ,,, AND I,M ALL IN,!! IF YOUR GOING TO GRAB A RATTLE SNAKE ,,DON,T GRAB IT IN THE MIDDLE...

9. Collapse Details

Registered
    The current fleet of SVL,s are Hot Rod's .
    Leave them alone . Stick with youre package . ( except the ilmore big smile )

Youre fun to watch now ,leave it that way . Most of you are close to each other during the race . From the land its very exciting to watch two or three of you flying up and down next to one another , then back 50 yards another grouping .

A runaway is just that . Who cares ?

George On the icon,s part of youre post ? You missed a couple .)
    And 6 years ?It was huge before 04 !
    Geeze ,Youre hull has been SVL for more than that . I still have the buyers agreemant , from ,03 with the fred,s ,and when it was receiving bob bull's old sv 496 to show that .
    ( By the way if you ever want that for nostalgic reasons I'll send it to you .It,s kinda cool ,should be with the boat anyway #47 and all that )
    Last edited by mdkeywest; 09-01-2010 at 06:16 PM.

10. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor
    You have a technical issue
    You have Fountains illustrious history
    You have a culture issue also.

Some things just dont fit and nothing will make them. This is one of them.

What should have been a good year in SVL has been terrible.
    The class has seen 2 new lows.
    Boats have been tampered with.
    Boats have been raced in a very dangerous manner needlessly indangering others.
    Lies have been told.
    It is time for the original group to move on and let this new group build their own fleet of SVL's. If they get 5 boats I will join them and buy a new boat. Until then we can race like OPA does with the older SV bravo boats do. Those guys look like their having the fun we used to.
    Steve

11. Collapse Details

yes thats is our best future,,,,

md keywest ,,i agree with you ,,imco is in its 11 year as IMCO and the orginal paint job,,,,but I didn,t want to go their,,,thanks

12. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor MANITIE's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean H View Post
    the engine classification never changed. It has always been S, F, M and P.
    500 Hp, 500 efi, 525 has been Factory for over a decade. Nothing was changed. A modifiend N/A engine is in M class, that hasn't changed in probably 2 decades. No classes were changed, as a 525 would have always been in the F class. Octance was DQ'd out of that class and put in the correct M class.

Stock is for things like 496 Mag/HO, 502's, etc. The Factory class came from the need to seperate Mercury Racing products from true stock engines.

Sean.....thanks for clearing that up...with all the accusatgions of making a new class for the Fountain was just a bunch a BS....there was no new class added and the Octain boat was just in the wrong class...AS PER THE RULES....you can also look at it as...they did not want to run against the Fountain so they put in the bigger engine so they could win a class....

But at least the new theroy that Fountain wanted a class just for them so they could win is now PUT TO BED.....
    Damm Doc....even when you follow the rules...they say your wrong....and cry foul....you really must of pissed in there cornflakes good....
    2009 Activator/ Powered by ILMOR
    #540 Boat Responsibly Racing
    Presented by your U.S. Coast Guard

13. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor Dunbar 104's Avatar
    As far as the is Shootout concerned, its about hauling a$$. It is an outlaw race. I'm putting a hp1075 and painting it blue for next year. what class will that be?. Who freaking cares. The fans could care less if a SVL went 90mph when the pontoons run 100.

14. Collapse Details

I don't think it is possible for a racer to get in his boat with a laptop and reprogram the 525 ecm. It is my understanding that only Whipple has the access codes and is limited to the number of flashes he can perform. He has stated that in other threads.

If you are truely concerned about this simply put in an ecm claiming rule. What does an ecm cost $1000? You just let the inspector know once the boats are in the water and he can seal the hatch until after the race and give it to you. Claim it for a grand and in a worst case you have a spare or one to sell on ebay. No big deal.

15. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo 214 View Post
    I don't think it is possible for a racer to get in his boat with a laptop and reprogram the 525 ecm. It is my understanding that only Whipple has the access codes and is limited to the number of flashes he can perform. He has stated that in other threads.

If you are truely concerned about this simply put in an ecm claiming rule. What does an ecm cost $1000? You just let the inspector know once the boats are in the water and he can seal the hatch until after the race and give it to you. Claim it for a grand and in a worst case you have a spare or one to sell on ebay. No big deal.
    Or don't cheat . That would be my choice .

16. Collapse Details

Damm Doc....even when you follow the rules. (quote gino )

how can you follow rules ,,when their isn,t any ??? and don,t when their IS go figure??

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo 214 View Post

Dean sorry ,,but you have been way misinformed,,,
    besides you all have not been around ,,when an inspector has been banished from looking at or getting on the boat ,,,these are things the class has watched ,,,,,not that you deal with it in any of YOUR CLASSES HA...DON,T THINK SO ,,thats why you all are here with all the answers,,
    Last edited by imco offshore; 09-01-2010 at 08:50 PM.

18. Collapse Details

This thread is out of control.

Doc, congrats on your accomplishments in the new Fountain. Excellent job!!

19. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I had to buy 20 ECMs from Merc Racing for the Cat Lite and 850 class because of rumors of the exact same thing. Call OSS and see if you can borrow a few.
    This is something that should be reviewed as a possibility.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

20. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Racerguymiami View Post
    This thread is out of control.
    Not all that bad, things are still being learned, they're just hidden a little in the rest of the message.....
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!