Thread: Mercedes Boat

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Mercedes Boat
    I was just reading Matts blog on Speed on the Water about Bill Pyburns skater and hes expecting to run 175 mph at Ozarks this year. Does anyone remember what the Mercedes boats last posted speed was?

2. Collapse Details

In salt water on biscayne Bay it ran 193, but that was just top end speed, not over a measured course.

3. Collapse Details

Both bad-azz boats and getting them to those speeds has to be alot of variables coming together perfectly to reach top speed. I think I've seem 193 posted by mercedes and 186 posted by pure platinum but that needs to be confirmed as I'm not positive.......as stated, a measured course likely won't allow either boat to reach true top speed.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Donskihp View Post
    I was just reading Matts blog on Speed on the Water about Bill Pyburns skater and hes expecting to run 175 mph at Ozarks this year. Does anyone remember what the Mercedes boats last posted speed was?
    yes Loto is a set 1 mile grid, Pyburn was faster at the shootout last year, If Gino shows up, it will be a good one to watch, neither one of those guys will leave anything on the table, should be a hell of a show this year!

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by t500hps View Post
    Both bad-azz boats and getting them to those speeds has to be alot of variables coming together perfectly to reach top speed. I think I've seem 193 posted by mercedes and 186 posted by pure platinum but that needs to be confirmed as I'm not positive.......as stated, a measured course likely won't allow either boat to reach true top speed.
    Chief engines website sez 185.7 on 93 octane on 1-20-10 4 Bill's boat!

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Wrinkleface View Post
    Chief engines website sez 185.7 on 93 octane on 1-20-10 4 Bill's boat!

And Gino has the 193 pic as his avatar. 185, 193.......both have PLENTY to brag about. To hear some guys talk it's like there running 85 or 93 and talking smack. I bet I'm one of the few on here willing to admit I don't think I WANT to be going that fast in either boat. (now a good stabil run to 130-140 in a boat capable of more sounds like fun to me though!!!!)

7. Collapse Details

What many people fail to realize is the shootout is a drag race with only one mile to get to top speed. It is all about setting up the boat to run a short distance. Most offshore boats are setup with top speed in mind. To run the drag race you need gears, props, light load of gas and turn up the boost for horsepower. Having run the shootout I can tell you my boat was just coming alive at 3/4 track and was pulling hard at the finish line and no where near the top speed of the boat. It is real accomplishment to see the speeds they do out there in only one mile.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bradz View Post
    What many people fail to realize is the shootout is a drag race with only one mile to get to top speed. It is all about setting up the boat to run a short distance. Most offshore boats are setup with top speed in mind. To run the drag race you need gears, props, light load of gas and turn up the boost for horsepower. Having run the shootout I can tell you my boat was just coming alive at 3/4 track and was pulling hard at the finish line and no where near the top speed of the boat. It is real accomplishment to see the speeds they do out there in only one mile.
    Some days your the fist and some days your the face!

9. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Gino didn't run strong at the Shootout last year with his wiring glitches. I'm sure if he makes it up there this year, he'll be chomping up water big time.....
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

10. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by FastDonzi View Post
    In salt water on biscayne Bay it ran 193, but that was just top end speed, not over a measured course.
    if you watch that 193 mph video you'll see that it took him half the lenght of FL to acheive that speed.. Dont get me wrong thats an awesome speed, but a shoot out, or a drag race between the 2 would be an awesome sight

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by boomer35 View Post
    if you watch that 193 mph video you'll see that it took him half the lenght of FL to acheive that speed.. Dont get me wrong thats an awesome speed, but a shoot out, or a drag race between the 2 would be an awesome sight
    Last years head to head with the MTI V.S the 4 engine Skater was pretty damn cool to watch, getting Bill and Gino to line it up this year would definatly be one for the books!

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by L-V View Post
    Last years head to head with the MTI V.S the 4 engine Skater was pretty damn cool to watch, getting Bill and Gino to line it up this year would definatly be one for the books!
    I say go for it!

13. Collapse Details

Theres gonna be some pretty awesome hardware at the Ozarks this year!

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bradz View Post
    Exactly...
    Warning: There will be no warning shots.

15. Collapse Details

While we are talking drag races here (done that as well), the smaller less wetted surface boat will have an advantage in short runs. I could give you many examples from my radar runs with outboards. The larger boats will be better in rough water and top speed as smaller hulls can "run out of hull" at top speed. Often times the bigger cat will be faster at the top end with the same power but not in one mile. My guess is the 38 Skater will run harder in one mile than the 42 MTI. It is all about setup, power to weight ratios and surface area in a drag race. I am waiting for the top fuel drag boat to show up idle 3/4 of the track and hit it to 250 in the last 1/4 mile at LOTO.

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by L-V View Post
    That was cool to watch, but those were both professional race boats with professionals operating them. I'll put my life on the line with Bill driving anyday of the week and twice on Sundays, but I don't know if they will let pleasure boats run side-by-side?

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by WARPARTY36 View Post
    That was cool to watch, but those were both professional race boats with professionals operating them. I'll put my life on the line with Bill driving anyday of the week and twice on Sundays, but I don't know if they will let pleasure boats run side-by-side?
    your probably right, and their insurance company's might object to that idea of a "race" come to think of it!

18. Collapse Details

So the 388 skater (38' running surface) against a 44 Mti (39' running surface) would be a fair match-up for a drag race imo....

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by saxman View Post
    So the 388 skater (38' running surface) against a 44 Mti (39' running surface) would be a fair match-up for a drag race imo....
    Agree!

20. Collapse Details

The MTI 44' and 42' have a 40' running surface.