We just returned to Chicago. Lee is doing extremely well and the healing process is well under way. Double bypass, no pacemaker and a very good report on everything else they found during the operation.
If you have had the pleasure of knowing him, you realize he is not interested in all this attention. Many who do know him met him when he helped fix your boat. In 10 years I have spent a lot of time in the pits running tools to him while he worked tirelessly to make sure someone was able to race. More often than not it was someone in our class. In fact there are only a few boats we have ever raced against that Lee has not helped fix, make faster or loaned parts and props.
He started racing boats like me in kneel down hydroplanes and has been racing offshore longer than some of our competitors have been alive. It's interesting when we talk to the great retired Offshore racers, especially when the subject of age comes up and Lee is older than most of them.
He is the real deal. A competitor who is out there because he loves to race. No drama, no crying or finger pointing. You beat me today, I will test till I find enough to get you next round. The boat he built (which took first place in Race #1 Key West 2009 against six other SS boats) is one of the most innovative hulls racing. Hearing Lee and Brownie or Earl Lanier or Reggie talk in the pits is like a master class on boat design. Like all of our class we have been chasing GB for 10 years, but we usually end up on the podium somewhere. Not bad for a 10 year old Super Stock boat with and a 67 year old Throttleman. No disrespect to the great boats we race against, but it has always been my contention that if a younger crazier or Superstar team had our boat it would get banned as unfair very quickly.
I know Lee appreciates the calls and get well wishes from everyone. Special thanks to Reggie Fountain, JC, Alan Christy and especially all the racers.
I refer to him as Ironman Lee Austin because I am constantly in awe of his stamina and energy. With new plumbing and some blood now flowing to his brain: Watch out GB.
SQ