1. Collapse Details
    Upgrading to a 38 Footer
    After an absolutely perfect weekend on the Pacific we have decided it's finally time to upgrade to a 38 footer. My "little" 29' Baja has been a great boat and has never given me any problems. I am very happy with it but would like the smoothness of a bigger boat.

I have always said my next boat would be a Top Gun but lately I've been wanting a windshield boat and a nicer cabin. I want to do some overnights at Catalina and other places. Not ready for a cruiser yet but would like more than just what I've got now.

Here's my criteria (I am willing to be flexible for the right boat/price):

Power choice would be 525EFI's. Want to have top speed of at least high 70's to low 80's (so I can run 65-70and not be at full throttle). Decent windshield so I don't have to wear goggles (sunglasses okay). Aluminum trailer with elect/hydro brakes (I'd like to keep total weight at 12K so I can pull it with my current 2500 Avalanche 4X4 w/4.10 gears, I can air bag the truck and run weight dist hitch).

I have not ruled out TG's but want to look at other options. I know Fountains will fit my needs but have a hard time getting over the left hand throttle thing (and I don't have any gold chains ). I'm looking at a really clean 382 Fastec tomorrow but I'm afraid it's too much weight (it's on a steel Myco).

Budget is $70K to $80K.

Also have to sell my Baja. Ideally would like to do a trade deal (maybe boat and truck?). Hate to sell mine and be without a boat.

What chu got?
    Last edited by Baja Fresh; 06-02-2010 at 12:01 AM.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Baja Fresh View Post
    I have always said my next boat would be a Top Gun but lately I've been wanting a windshield boat and a nicer cabin.
    I think that just means you are getting old Al!

Maybe a 353 F-boat would be a little easier on towing and still have all the uh, hmm ... "Formula" characteristics you are looking for ...?

3. Collapse Details

Red Dog nailed it. I was thinking Formula the whole time I read your description. However, should a Big Bird not be your cup of tea, take a look at a Powerquest Avenger. AWESOME cabin, and they get up and run pretty well with 525s. Plus, they'll almost certainly be cheaper than a Formula.

Fountain will have a smaller interior and be a smaller boat in general...I'd be more concerned about that than the lefthand controls...they are EASY to get used to...trust me.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by RedDog382 View Post
    I think that just means you are getting old Al!

Maybe a 353 F-boat would be a little easier on towing and still have all the uh, hmm ... "Formula" characteristics you are looking for ...?
    What do you mean "getting"?

I looked at the 382 this morning clean boat but steel trailer is junk. I never seen one rusted out so bad. The boat has had some work done to it but I think it has been used hard.

A 353 might be the way to go. Could save me $20K or so on buying a new truck. I'd hate to take a beating on my truck.

5. Collapse Details

Dude you get any bigger and a new truck is a MUST

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    Dude you get any bigger and a new truck is a MUST
    I dunno about that - Al is not exactly a big dude ...

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by RedDog382 View Post
    I dunno about that - Al is not exactly a big dude ...
    Yeah, what's up with that? I can still fit in my truck with plenty of room to spare.

Man, this board must be dying. Not to long ago if you posted that you were looking for a new boat you'd get blasted with 100 replies from guys saying "I got the boat for you".

Did the boat market recover and I missed it?

Oh well, I'm going to have fun looking and it's not like there is anything wrong with my current boat so I'm not in a hurry.

8. Collapse Details

What year is you Avalanche and how many miles and what color? If you move up and need another truck I might be interested in yours. But that's a long trip just look at it.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tstuck View Post
    What year is you Avalanche and how many miles and what color? If you move up and need another truck I might be interested in yours. But that's a long trip just look at it.
    It's a 2005 that I bought new, 4X4, 2500, 8.1, 4.10 gears, fully loaded with leather, Nav system, etc. 40K miles on it. Never used as a daily driver, just trips. It has a CST 6" lift with BFG AT 315-75-17's on Hummer H2 rims. Truck is in excellent condition with one small scrape on tailgate, no other marks and interior is perfect.

It's the Silver Birch color with gray cladding. I can't find any photos but will take some and post.

10. Collapse Details

After an absolutely perfect weekend on the Pacific we have decided it's finally time to upgrade to a 38 footer. My "little" 29' Baja has been a great boat and has never given me any problems. I am very happy with it but would like the smoothness of a bigger boat.

I have always said my next boat would be a Top Gun but lately I've been wanting a windshield boat and a nicer cabin. I want to do some overnights at Catalina and other places. Not ready for a cruiser yet but would like more than just what I've got now.

Here's my criteria (I am willing to be flexible for the right boat/price):

Power choice would be 525EFI's. Want to have top speed of at least high 70's to low 80's (so I can run 65-70and not be at full throttle). Decent windshield so I don't have to wear goggles (sunglasses okay). Aluminum trailer with elect/hydro brakes (I'd like to keep total weight at 12K so I can pull it with my current 2500 Avalanche 4X4 w/4.10 gears, I can air bag the truck and run weight dist hitch).

I have not ruled out TG's but want to look at other options. I know Fountains will fit my needs but have a hard time getting over the left hand throttle thing (and I don't have any gold chains ). I'm looking at a really clean 382 Fastec tomorrow but I'm afraid it's too much weight (it's on a steel Myco).

Budget is $70K to $80K.

Also have to sell my Baja. Ideally would like to do a trade deal (maybe boat and truck?). Hate to sell mine and be without a boat.

What chu got?
    (i dont have any gold chains) thats too funny. i almost named my boat
    no gold chains.

11. Collapse Details

try looking at a 33 donzi zx.big boat for the size and decent performance.i know of a 33 daytona w/575 always fresh water and a myco alum trailer.i think the boat is an 04 and is in northern canada.

12. Collapse Details

he will look at trades also,on truck and boat he pulls the boat with an 06 duramax crew lt black,leather and 87kms.aprox 45,000 miles.truck is bone stock

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjr View Post
    try looking at a 33 donzi zx.big boat for the size and decent performance.i know of a 33 daytona w/575 always fresh water and a myco alum trailer.i think the boat is an 04 and is in northern canada.
    I like the ZX's but a 33 isn't that much bigger than what I have now. A 35 or 38 would be more to my liking.

The truck would be the right one though.

14. Collapse Details

Banned
    I like the ZX's but a 33 isn't that much bigger than what I have now. A 35 or 38 would be more to my liking.

The truck would be the right one though.
    U would be suprised how HUGE a 33 Donzi is !!!!!

15. Collapse Details

DD is right on that

16. Collapse Details

Anybody here have one / post pics?

17. Collapse Details

Started a inexpensive get into offshore/go fast style thread. Was thinking of doing simular with mid range up the budget thread. Until finding yours.

I'll third the Donzi suggestion. My budget thread got me looking at entry Formula's, few for sale in the Pacific Northwest (include California in our region: http://www.pacificcoastcollaborative...s/Welcome.aspx ).

And you have some TG options for sale in California in your range.

http://www.seriousoffshore.com/class...age=out&id=290

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/19...un-38-96746639

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/19...p-Gun-96725343

not sure the price but who knows maybe priced to move:

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...p-gun-96846187

Examples have no clue who owns the above. The first one I like that you can pull the vinyl and have all white under neath to make something your own. Lot more TG's available in our region. Did find a Formula, yep above budget, but who knows could get them down to budget.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...A-353-95720986

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by poncho View Post
    Started a inexpensive get into offshore/go fast style thread. Was thinking of doing simular with mid range up the budget thread. Until finding yours.

I'll third the Donzi suggestion. My budget thread got me looking at entry Formula's, few for sale in the Pacific Northwest (include California in our region: http://www.pacificcoastcollaborative...s/Welcome.aspx ).

And you have some TG options for sale in California in your range.

http://www.seriousoffshore.com/class...age=out&id=290

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/19...un-38-96746639

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/19...p-Gun-96725343

not sure the price but who knows maybe priced to move:

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...p-gun-96846187

Examples have no clue who owns the above. The first one I like that you can pull the vinyl and have all white under neath to make something your own. Lot more TG's available in our region. Did find a Formula, yep above budget, but who knows could get them down to budget.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...A-353-95720986
    Thanks for all the research, Poncho! Kind of funny though as the first listing is Tank's boat. Tank is local here and a friend of mine. I've been on the boat and know it well. It is definitely in consideration and I think he would make me a deal because that way he could still get to ride/drive it!

The other two are also known local boats and fairly priced. The last one I am not familiar with but with 1200 quad rotor blower motors and #6 drives it's going to be BIG $!

The 353 would be a good option as it's less tow weight and still roomy with amenities but he is a good $40K over priced, especially with 502 Mag motors and steel trailer. I'd like that boat with 500EFI's or better yet 525EFI's (blue motors).

Would love a Gun but really don't want to have to buy a new truck too. May end up just keeping mine and getting a new trailer and some other upgrades.

What are you looking for?

19. Collapse Details

Active Thunder/Donzi / Dragon/ All will give you good speed and great cabins.

20. Collapse Details

I tried keeping it local pacific northwest region. Even with California we sometimes don't have TG options. I like the first simply because its nice but also you could change the vinyl or even go all white for awhile.

Was looking at a 1979 Cig 28SS but sellers neighbor scooped it who admired it for years. So switched and got reminded of Formula. Found a 1989 292-SR1 with 454/bravo with drive showers.

Have several search engines for classifieds and usually looking for deals on things I like. Also found a Wellcraft Nova III like this: http://www2.ablboats.com/images/list...64/8647201.jpg That the seller might go below $16K on! I'll admit looking for near steal deals. Makes them easier to resell and even make a little money on.