Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Collapse Details

My next speakers will be made in the US for sure, planning on some Salk's. http://www.salksound.com/

There's a few other smaller internet direct companies making stuff in the US too, particularly subwoofers.

2. Collapse Details

As a drummer, we would never buy cymbals from a catalog.

Speakers on the internet are kind of the same unless you have heard that model elsewhere.

3. Collapse Details

in the late 70's I had a Nikko amp, David Hafler preamp and kenwood tube tuner, pioneer direct drive turntable with ortofon cartridge KLH 1 tower speakers with analog bass computer. Sounded awesome. Upgraded to B&K bridged Mono amps Carver tuner and one of the first Panisonic CD Players available $1000.00 back then. Ran them thru
    new B&W speakers.
    Had it all displayed on a glass table, looked and sounded great.
    I Got married and wife said "no more equipment out it's ugly" , now have a Denon receiver and in wall JBL's so they can't be seen. Sound OK but not the same.

4. Collapse Details

A buddy of mine has a set of cement LARs (I think that's what they're called) and they freaking THUNDER. They also way as much as a wheel barrow full of concrete!

I still have the plans to make the Klipsch baffled cabinets around somewhere...

Sad part is from working in bars and working on race cars for years with unprotected hearing, my ears are shot as far as tone goes. So I can't even tell if a gituar is in tune anymore.

"Tear gas and draft beer don't mix."

5. Collapse Details

When I sold Theils I think there were some models with concrete in them.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post
    As a drummer, we would never buy cymbals from a catalog.

Speakers on the internet are kind of the same unless you have heard that model elsewhere.
    If you've ever heard speakers in a shop and then got the same sound in your home......well you're pretty lucky. A lot of other factors that can make it a crap shoot still.

I'd like to buy some B&W's etc that I could hear then buy (actually I've heard the 703's and really want them) but for the most part to get higher quality stuff for the price point the internet is the way to go. Then when you try and go American made it just gets harder or more expensive. Just have to do your research and learn who's reviews to trust online.

But Salk is in Detroit so I can go hear them before buying.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by RLJ676 View Post
    If you've ever heard speakers in a shop and then got the same sound in your home......well you're pretty lucky. A lot of other factors that can make it a crap shoot still.

I'd like to buy some B&W's etc that I could hear then buy (actually I've heard the 703's and really want them) but for the most part to get higher quality stuff for the price point the internet is the way to go. Then when you try and go American made it just gets harder or more expensive. Just have to do your research and learn who's reviews to trust online.

But Salk is in Detroit so I can go hear them before buying.
    Theoretically... they should sound better in your home. Placement and ambient sounds being the largest variable. And assuming that you can control them. (I know that old car stereo amp and EQ trick, not discounting that, but all things being equal.)

I sold B&Ws. One of the best brands for the buck I ever heard.
    I have a set of 601s. Good stuff.

Best ever is Audio-Physic, but I was always a soundstage guy. I used a reference quality amp and CD player, no EQ, no processing. Nothing. Not even tone control... and after 45 minutes of placement tweaking... you could hear distinct and discreet things on your left and right in space, from a single stereo pair. Closest thing to headphones I had ever heard. No loss of fine detail.

I would like to hear the Salks.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post
    Theoretically... they should sound better in your home. Placement and ambient sounds being the largest variable. And assuming that you can control them. (I know that old car stereo amp and EQ trick, not discounting that, but all things being equal.)

I sold B&Ws. One of the best brands for the buck I ever heard.
    I have a set of 601s. Good stuff.

Best ever is Audio-Physic, but I was always a soundstage guy. I used a reference quality amp and CD player, no EQ, no processing. Nothing. Not even tone control... and after 45 minutes of placement tweaking... you could hear distinct and discreet things on your left and right in space, from a single stereo pair. Closest thing to headphones I had ever heard. No loss of fine detail.

I would like to hear the Salks.
    I loved the 703's when I first heard them at the stereo shop when I was looking, they throw a HUGE soundstage, best I've heard. The 704's were in my price range, but couldn't compare doing a/b listening. I ended up w/ Rocket 850's due to a lot of comparisons to 703's sound from experienced listeners, but for half the price. They are great, and really dynamic which works awesome for HT, but aren't as accurate musically probably as a lot of high end stuff.

Coincidentally one of my buddies that lives near me has 703's and they sound awesome in his basement (on all nice Rotel gear), still would like to get those.

If you read up on those Salk's on the various forums they get a lot of love, and I can't recall anything negative. I really want made in the USA for my next stuff, and made in Detroit is even better. He can also do some really bad ass custom finishes. I'm wanting something with a guitar style "starburst" finish.

9. Collapse Details

I have been out of the loop pretty much since I left that business. Around 2000.
    I would have to search the Salks. I will. I am curious.