Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post
Theoretically... they should sound better in your home. Placement and ambient sounds being the largest variable. And assuming that you can control them. (I know that old car stereo amp and EQ trick, not discounting that, but all things being equal.)

I sold B&Ws. One of the best brands for the buck I ever heard.
I have a set of 601s. Good stuff.

Best ever is Audio-Physic, but I was always a soundstage guy. I used a reference quality amp and CD player, no EQ, no processing. Nothing. Not even tone control... and after 45 minutes of placement tweaking... you could hear distinct and discreet things on your left and right in space, from a single stereo pair. Closest thing to headphones I had ever heard. No loss of fine detail.

I would like to hear the Salks.
I loved the 703's when I first heard them at the stereo shop when I was looking, they throw a HUGE soundstage, best I've heard. The 704's were in my price range, but couldn't compare doing a/b listening. I ended up w/ Rocket 850's due to a lot of comparisons to 703's sound from experienced listeners, but for half the price. They are great, and really dynamic which works awesome for HT, but aren't as accurate musically probably as a lot of high end stuff.

Coincidentally one of my buddies that lives near me has 703's and they sound awesome in his basement (on all nice Rotel gear), still would like to get those.

If you read up on those Salk's on the various forums they get a lot of love, and I can't recall anything negative. I really want made in the USA for my next stuff, and made in Detroit is even better. He can also do some really bad ass custom finishes. I'm wanting something with a guitar style "starburst" finish.