Thread: gps speedo

1. Collapse Details
    gps speedo
    Need some help here.

My Livorsi GPS speedo crapped out the end of last season. From all indications it's the battery.

I've been reading several threads on this subject and need some guidance.

I've read (with some technical skills) you can change the battery yourself.

I've also read you can connect to your current gps (in my case a Garmin 182). Are there any advantages / disadvantages to connecting to an existing gps? Will the recall still work? Lastly, is there a particular cable (name and part #) that I need to make this work?

Thanks in advance for any help or ideas.

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    First off welcome.

Have you checked the Livorsi site? That would be my first move. In the past they have been very helpful. I expect the same is true now.

3. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skmulligan View Post
    Need some help here.

My Livorsi GPS speedo crapped out the end of last season. From all indications it's the battery.

I've been reading several threads on this subject and need some guidance.

I've read (with some technical skills) you can change the battery yourself.

I've also read you can connect to your current gps (in my case a Garmin 182). Are there any advantages / disadvantages to connecting to an existing gps? Will the recall still work? Lastly, is there a particular cable (name and part #) that I need to make this work?

Thanks in advance for any help or ideas.
    Welcome to Serious,,,like Mercman said...Livorsi will help u ....i would send it back and have them install a new batt....CHEAP...i heard like 10 bucks at the most.

4. Collapse Details

Thanks for the welcome and the info.

I'm sure I'll have more silly questions as the season progresses.

5. Collapse Details

There are no silly questions

6. Collapse Details

My Livorsi GPS spedo craped put late last year too. I called Livorsi and they told me it was the battery. For about 70 bucks they can replace the battery. If you replace the battery you have to have the antenna unit reprogramed. I just bought a new antenna ,and replaced it about 300 bucks. New units don't have batteries any more.

7. Collapse Details

Here is the link to Livorsi's site. http://www.livorsi.com/catalog/gps_antenna.htm

They now want $99 to do the battery. $179 for a new antenna if you send the old one back.

I haven't heard of any issues with the recall and using another GPS. Stinks you have to have it on all the time for the Speedo to work but all well.

Livorsi has handled this blunder in a pretty piss poor way in my opinion. What is more shocking is the number of people that just accept it. $500+ bucks for an analog GPS speedo should come with a bit better customer service and a bit better product than one that requires a $100 worth of soldered in battery.... AND what I consider to basically be a threat on their site that says something like... while supplies last. They are the ones that built this junk to begin with. Instead of resolving it they are making even more money selling new units and/or replacing a couple dollar battery for 100 bucks.