Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    I have barked them dry for years. Ra Ra vroom off. No issues. There is water in the lines and motor. The impeller doesn't care if it fires for 1 second...
    +1. Been doing it for 25 years and never, ever killed or damaged an impeller. The key is "1 second". Not 10 or 20....
    Boating Seriously

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    An outboard grounds the ignition to kill it. Like a magneto. It had no ground.
    What does that have to do with if it is at the ramp, or on the trailer? Water or no water that would have happened?

3. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    It was running without water. If it was in the water It would not have mattered much.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Twin27Advantage View Post
    If you just built your motor or had previous problems I understand...but why waste the time? If my boat ran flawless Fri., Sat. and Sun. then parked in my driveway...why check to make sure everything is ok the next weekend?...Sure, next time at the ramp I will make sure water is coming out the exhaust upon start-up, but other than that, I have trust in my motors. If you can't trust your motors...you likely used the wrong builder.

Its called standard maintenance...new impellers every two, and new plugs, wires, caps and rotors every year. If it needs it or not, it is standard maintenance. At 600 hours, new rings, bearing, re-do the heads if they need it or not.

Although, if I lived two hours from the ramp, I would likey make sure they at least turned over.
    I agree.. However, I work on numerous boats; all get tested. I want to know they will fire before going through the routine of splashing them or putting water to them. As you know there are countless things that can prevent an engine from starting. Solenoids, starters, switches, breakers, fuses, modules, ect. any of these components can fail at anytime often with out notice. Most of the parts you mentioned in seasonal service have little effct on whether it will fire or not.

Again, I agree in your premise of trusting and take care of your stuff but, things still can happen. When they do it wastes valuable time.

5. Collapse Details

I work on boats as well, If ever did it in front of one of my customers they would likely not come back. More of a perception thing I guess...the customer is kinda taught not to do it. I agree the 1 second fire does no harm, but me doing it, shows them it is ok and likey 1 second will become 2 or more, then they will want me to replace an impeller for free.

6. Collapse Details

I understand.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by nortech4play View Post
    I never do, I just drop the lift to the boarding level and warm them up...btw what's a ramp....lol...

8. Collapse Details

Some of as are not as fortunate.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Sea-Dated View Post

Me three..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0510091112b.jpg  

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by htrdlncn View Post
    Me three..

Us 4!!!
    Queen of Bammin'

11. Collapse Details

Worldwide - Blue Martini Hall of Fame - Your sisters house
    never had a problem. did it thousands of times to all kinds of boats. Impossible to cause a problem in 2-3 seconds

12. Collapse Details

Worldwide - Blue Martini Hall of Fame - Your sisters house
    Quote Originally Posted by Twin27Advantage View Post
    If you just built your motor or had previous problems I understand...but why waste the time? If my boat ran flawless Fri., Sat. and Sun. then parked in my driveway...why check to make sure everything is ok the next weekend?...Sure, next time at the ramp I will make sure water is coming out the exhaust upon start-up, but other than that, I have trust in my motors. If you can't trust your motors...you likely used the wrong builder.

Its called standard maintenance...new impellers every two, and new plugs, wires, caps and rotors every year. If it needs it or not, it is standard maintenance. At 600 hours, new rings, bearing, re-do the heads if they need it or not.

Although, if I lived two hours from the ramp, I would likey make sure they at least turned over.
    600 hrs?? what are you running diesels? LOL

13. Collapse Details

SO Tech Expert: Ford PSD's fixxxer22's Avatar
    I replace the impeller and housing every year. I like to turn the engine over during the winter to get oil pressure and release some of the spring pressure on the springs that were depressed before i turned it over. sometime is starts. i dont just want to "bam!" shut her back down so ill let her run for a minute not caring if the impeller goes due to the fact that it will soon be replaced. every year i remove it and it looks like i could have easily ran it another season. still i replace it. If my boat sits for a week or so then i fire her up on the muffs at home and warm her up before she goes to the ramp. but if i was out saturday and i was going out again sunday i dont bother.
    Now recruiting Mississippi power boaters.

14. Collapse Details

I have, but I don't do it everytime.

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by sunshadow View Post
    I've changed a bunch of impellers over the years. I would never run dry even for a second.
    ditto
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DollaBill View Post
    600 hrs?? what are you running diesels? LOL
    These baby SB's....
    585 hours...I was going to let them go one more season since they still have great compression and run great, but due to an unfortunate boob watching accident both motors were badly over heated . The one on the left is kinda a diesel since that is what it did for about 3 minutes...it was just a little hot

The left one just started to wipe out the mains along with a small crack in the head. The right one is still good but going to be freshened. They needed since the start up smoke was getting a little emarassing!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sdc10228-medium.jpg