Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

it looks sweet, kinda like a skater el camino.

j/k its a bad ass boat. I imagine it runs the same as a non enclosed 40?

2. Collapse Details

First off I want to say the boat looks sweet and Skater is one of the best out there, however I agree with Dave P.
    Boating where we do in avg 3-8 feet of water in Barnegat Bay or even in the bays of Florida, no way could 5 or six get out in a a flip. Of course at cat speeds if you flip a canopy like that, it will probably be splinters anyway. As also already mentioned, I personally know a few people who owned canopy pleasure boats who were not happy with them and sold them after a season or two.

3. Collapse Details

No thanx don't like it...just me

4. Collapse Details

Nice.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    Guys - the boat is beautiful, no doubt.

Canopied boats are for racing - period.

If that boat went over and 4 or 5 panic stricken people had to get their asses out of that little hatch in shallow water or not, it will be a coffin.

Look at when a canopied race boat goes over and not all of the time do the 2 racers get out of the boat without assistance from the divers above.

So, what would you recomend to someone who has skin cancer and wants to enjoy performance boating..People are to fast to judge on these sites

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tom A. View Post
    First off I want to say the boat looks sweet and Skater is one of the best out there, however I agree with Dave P.
    Boating where we do in avg 3-8 feet of water in Barnegat Bay or even in the bays of Florida, no way could 5 or six get out in a a flip. Of course at cat speeds if you flip a canopy like that, it will probably be splinters anyway. As also already mentioned, I personally know a few people who owned canopy pleasure boats who were not happy with them and sold them after a season or two.
    you cares about the canopy, we got people winnig lawsuits for swimming into props. like the closed canopy or not would make a difference?

7. Collapse Details

It's just another model of the Skater 40', it's the NEW LS........here's some of the other 40' models.

http://www.skaterpowerboats.com/skater40lp.html
    40' Classic Low Profile

http://www.skaterpowerboats.com/skater40crp.html
    40' Classic Race Pleasure

http://www.skaterpowerboats.com/skater40ssrp.html
    40SS or Super Sport

and there is a 412 which is a 40' thats widen 12".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails models40clp.jpg   models40crp.jpg   omars 40ss1.jpg  

IMG_0569.jpg  

8. Collapse Details
    Cool Air
    Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorone View Post
    So, what would you recomend to someone who has skin cancer and wants to enjoy performance boating..People are to fast to judge on these sites
    And it has A/C in the cockpit.................

9. Collapse Details

New owner of the boat lives and boats in Discovery Bay which is part of the Sacromento Delta. He has about a 75 mile ride and he is in San Francisco bay. His current boat is a 36 Daytona coupe. He loves his fiberglass roof. Mr Collegewood is first class all the way. Besides havasu it will be in the big cat poker run.

10. Collapse Details

Bill - I'm not judging I am stating a fact.

That boat goes over with 2-3-4-5 people inside, more than likey they will die. There are no helos flying above pleasure boaters in canopies to help get them out.

And I know of a few pleasure performance guys that have had skin cancer and they cover up and use spf50 when they go boating.

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Ginger View Post
    God why would you look that much into something like this considering peter most likely thought everything out before it was ever built and if you are running in that shallow of water maybe you should not be there and where does stupidity begin ..............with the driver or..........
    Cause.. like everyone Dave is entitled to his opinion... My opinion like posted on OSO.. I like Skaters but this boat does absoloutly nothing for me in all aspects.

12. Collapse Details
    4 other 40' models..........................
    Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by Jassman View Post
    Cause.. like everyone Dave is entitled to his opinion... My opinion like posted on OSO.. I like Skaters but this boat does absoloutly nothing for me in all aspects.
    Jass,

They make 4 other 40' Skaters..................
    40' Classic low profile
    40' Classic race pleasure
    40SS or 40 Super sport
    and the 412
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails models40clp.jpg   models40crp.jpg   omars 40ss1.jpg  

IMG_0569.jpg  

13. Collapse Details

Bad Ass Boat!

Besides staying out of the sun...It can also extend your boating season and allow you to boat when it is raining. There are several times I would love to run the boat to a restaurant on a cool rainy summer day, much better then sitting around the house.

Unlike a normal canapy boat, you can pop the top for when you raft up. So I don't see that as being an issue. Also a smart guy who wants to party on a canopy boat could just have some collapsable chairs with rubber pads and replace the material to match the graphics of the boat. They could also have a fold out table that locks in the deck with a umbrella. Then you could party in style rather than standing in the cockpit leaning against the bolsters or sitting in the buckets

I don't really see noise being an issue..with all the wood work and interior it likely dampens the noise a bit. They may have used some noise dampening material like dynamat.

Safety...sure it might be a problem. But how many open pleasure cats have flipped during poker runs? How many of the occupants survived? I think that anyone who flips in a open boat at speeds above 100 are in some major trouble anyway. Some wear the inflatable life jacket and others wear the poker run lifelines. Neither will keep you floating face up if you are knocked out. Odds of a responsible captain crashing are far less than anyone of us driving down the road and landing upside down in 4' + water in our vehicles. How many actually cary a prick punch to bust a window in that situation?

The safety debate will go on forever seeing that everyone has and is entitled to their own opinion.

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Jassman View Post
    Cause.. like everyone Dave is entitled to his opinion... I like Skaters but this boat does absoloutly nothing for me in all aspects.

It is beautiful to look at and I can see the craftsmenship in it and all the detail, very nicely done.
    With that said, I can't for the life of me understand why anyone wants a roof in the first place but then again I have no need or desire to be running at the speeds where you need that protection so I guess if you can aford it and have that need for speed.....so be it.

15. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor MANITIE's Avatar
    One of the things that caught my eye that made me question safety besides the lid, was over the last 3 or so years I have not seen a crew in a overturned cat come out of the canopy lid....they have got out by the escape hatch in the floor...I think that is one of the reasons crew's have been less at risk in a extraction.

To each his own....

16. Collapse Details

Sponsor / Charter Member ILMORdude's Avatar
    Different strokes for different folks...............he told Skater what he wanted and they did a great job. Why is there so much debate about it? Its HIS BOAT. Cant deny the craftsmanship either and thats what this thread is highlighting. Skaters new model
    ILMOR High Performance Marine
    570-725 hp V-10 Indy Packages now available....even Racers Packages now!! PM me for details!! Ilmor.com

17. Collapse Details

well put..... i had the pleasure of lunch with Gary and Peter in late december while gary was in town choosing some options (color/style of wood grain) first class all the way..... if you get the chance you need to hear the story of gary's bar at his home.... or shall i say bars....lol

what power is in the boat?

I really like the teak and holly flooring is it a veneer or a traditional teak and holly?

18. Collapse Details

are the compartments on top of the engine hatches a fender/line storage area?... if so nicely done.... noticed some cigarette inspiration on the hatch lift hardware....

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse James View Post
    well put..... i had the pleasure of lunch with Gary and Peter in late december while gary was in town choosing some options (color/style of wood grain) first class all the way..... if you get the chance you need to hear the story of gary's bar at his home.... or shall i say bars....lol

what power is in the boat?

I really like the teak and holly flooring is it a veneer or a traditional teak and holly?
    1200hp Teague's, IDK about the flooring.....

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by blume View Post
    Jass,

They make 4 other 40' Skaters..................
    40' Classic low profile
    40' Classic race pleasure
    40SS or 40 Super sport
    and the 412

Blume.. just cause it says Skater on the side...doesnt make me like it any more. Are they great boats, yes by all means...and actually my favorite Skater is still the 40 one off.. blue and silver one that tapers down to a bustle like the MTI's. I still love that one..and considered it at one time...but you'll hear off the record that the true die hard Skater guys hate it..cause it resembles a MTI..What I like does not mean everyone will follow. This boat just doesn't do it for me. Who'm ever built it, I still congrats them for building what they envisioned, and I wish them all the best luck in the world..and enjoy their ride... As to the canopy, that's another thread all by itself.. I agree with Dave on this on a pleasure version only. Have a great day, and thanks for posting the pic's. Jeff