Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rchevelle71 View Post
    That would work, but first I would try a mild solvent like mineral spirits, if that doesnt work, move up to the next harshest, but like others have said, try it on a less conspicuous area first. Acetone will most likely take it off, and not hurt the clear, especially if it is a urethane clear, has cured, and you dont rub too hard. then just buff it if needed.
    THANK U ,,at least your kind of with me !!!!! LOL

2. Collapse Details

Banned
    That would work, but first I would try a mild solvent like mineral spirits, if that doesnt work, move up to the next harshest, but like others have said, try it on a less conspicuous area first. Acetone will most likely take it off, and not hurt the clear, especially if it is a urethane clear, has cured, and you dont rub too hard. then just buff it if needed.
    Mineral spirits won't do it. One Shot is pretty stout enamel. I have used acetone and lacquer thinner to break it down, but I hate using hot solvents unless absolutely necessary. That may be the way to go.

3. Collapse Details

If you are very carfull you may be able to scrape it off with one of those tool with the long razor blade. I have a couple of them and they work pretty well as long as you do not scratch the surface.

4. Collapse Details

SO Tech Expert: Ford PSD's fixxxer22's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffswav View Post
    If you are very carfull you may be able to scrape it off with one of those tool with the long razor blade. I have a couple of them and they work pretty well as long as you do not scratch the surface.
    Also, i have used those plastic razor blades. We have a detail department at our dealer and they have them. they work pretty well. not quite like a metal razor but you can be a little more agressive with the scraping.

I am a mechanic... I prefer technician though
    Now recruiting Mississippi power boaters.

5. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor glassdave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffswav View Post
    a trick to helping that method be a bit safer on the paint is to round the edges (corners) of the blade with a piece of 400 grit sandpaper. Dulling the blade itself also help it from wanting to dig so quickly.
    Throttles- Cleveland Construction/Traffic Light Racing 377 Talon cat

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DAREDEVIL View Post
    THANK U ,,at least your kind of with me !!!!! LOL
    Ahhh,

No use arguing, just trying to get this guy some help

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jayboat View Post
    Mineral spirits won't do it. One Shot is pretty stout enamel. I have used acetone and lacquer thinner to break it down, but I hate using hot solvents unless absolutely necessary. That may be the way to go.
    Jay,

that is funny, I didnt realize the professionals use one shot, that is what the dark purple, and the pantera eyes on my boat are painted with, the light purple is One shot mixed with White perfection, all cleared with a knock off Concept Clear. If I remember right, I used Mineral spirits to thin the one shot for spraying, But I have done a lot of painting and drinking since then, so my memory is kinda fuzzy Does this picture look familiar??

Rick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P6180164-2.jpg  

8. Collapse Details

Banned
    Jay,

that is funny, I didnt realize the professionals use one shot, that is what the dark purple, and the pantera eyes on my boat are painted with, the light purple is One shot mixed with White perfection, all cleared with a knock off Concept Clear. If I remember right, I used Mineral spirits to thin the one shot for spraying, But I have done a lot of painting and drinking since then, so my memory is kinda fuzzy Does this picture look familiar??

Rick
    Your memory is correct. You need to drink more. That chit is some of the toughest enamel known to mankind. I've been using it for forty years and never had an issue... unless I'm tryin' to remove it.

Nice photo. Boat needs some numbers.

9. Collapse Details

ok - i used a plastic razor on the letterin that was on the hull sides which was clear coated - worked PERFECT - no scratching! thank you

BUT the deck has not been cleared its just gel. The plastic razor doesnt work so well and what i could get off it appears the colors are deep into the gel coat, or the white is stained very badly. I am going to continue to scrape off what i can. Any suggestions for removing the stain?

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
    ok - i used a plastic razor on the letterin that was on the hull sides which was clear coated - worked PERFECT - no scratching! thank you

BUT the deck has not been cleared its just gel. The plastic razor doesnt work so well and what i could get off it appears the colors are deep into the gel coat, or the white is stained very badly. I am going to continue to scrape off what i can. Any suggestions for removing the stain?
    If it is gel, you can definitely use acetone, or even 1000 grit sandpaper, then buff it out.

11. Collapse Details

Your memory is correct. You need to drink more. That chit is some of the toughest enamel known to mankind. I've been using it for forty years and never had an issue... unless I'm tryin' to remove it.

Nice photo. Boat needs some numbers.
    40 years what were you using it in yer colorin' books?? Come on, you may have me by a few years, but not that many According to jen, I drink plenty, but I think you may be a little smarter than her, so I'll take your advice As far as the #'s, I have never been totally happy with the purple and I may be repainting the boat soon, the purple was fun, but its time to grow up, and go with something a little classier. I am thinking of the same scheme, but replace the Purple with Silver, probably leave the #'s off(including the white boxes this time), and do some simple vinyl graphics, just the pantera logo, and maybe put the old Bad Company name back on it. Wont know for sure until the transom is done, and the deck back on, extending the cockpit too, for a real backseat this time.

12. Collapse Details

Banned
    40 years what were you using it in yer colorin' books?? Come on, you may have me by a few years, but not that many
    It's actually 42, if you wanna get technical.

My first real job was with a sign shop in the summer of '68.
    I was makin' big bucks... $1.10/hr.

Chris, you may have a problem with that ghost. The pigments in One Shot have a tendency to seep into the gel. Wet sanding, as Rick mentioned, is the only answer.

13. Collapse Details

OK - we will try wet sanding next, good to know thank you. Heck its not even ghosted it looks BRIGHT YELLOW yet!!

14. Collapse Details

It's actually 42, if you wanna get technical.

My first real job was with a sign shop in the summer of '68.
    I was makin' big bucks... $1.10/hr.

Chris, you may have a problem with that ghost. The pigments in One Shot have a tendency to seep into the gel. Wet sanding, as Rick mentioned, is the only answer.
    OK, you have aged well then............OLD MAN

Just kidding, but I wasnt even born until 1970

We will be in your 'hood this saturday, but just stopping by for a few hours on our way to Tampa. See ya at a race some time this summer

15. Collapse Details

Juset wanted to say thanks for all the replies.
    We scraped the old enamel off with a plastic scraper then used thinner to take the color out. My brother-in-law is a painter and works ata body shop, he came over and wet sanded and buffed the area but the problem was it looked too good! SO - he wet sanded the entire boat with 1500 grit then buffed out and i must say the boat looks AMAZING!! I cant believe what a little sand paper, a buffer, a case of beer and about 18 man hours can do boat!

16. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
    Juset wanted to say thanks for all the replies.
    We scraped the old enamel off with a plastic scraper then used thinner to take the color out. My brother-in-law is a painter and works ata body shop, he came over and wet sanded and buffed the area but the problem was it looked too good! SO - he wet sanded the entire boat with 1500 grit then buffed out and i must say the boat looks AMAZING!! I cant believe what a little sand paper, a buffer, a case of beer and about 18 man hours can do boat!
    PICS !!!!!!!!!!!

17. Collapse Details

I know this is a little late but did anybody consider using Goof off .

18. Collapse Details

i really dont have a good pic - but here is a cell phone pic taken inside my garage - thanks for all the replies
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wetsanded2.jpg  

19. Collapse Details

Wonder if the EZ off would soften Imron?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails !BsNSOjwBmk~$(KGrHqMOKjcEume62FpjBL3DLKyiW!~~_3.jpg