Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Any Poker Runs for the underprivileged under 30' crowd ?
    The few Poker Runs I've attend I come back home very depressed that I never made anything out of myself and wished I'd payed more attention in school LOL. Seems every boat there is 40' long with 1075's & pair of sixes hanging off the back with TAOD paint jobs.

Then I show up like a red headed step child with my 2008 Whippled 496 288 bowrider ( and proud of it). And usually get docked with all the Center Consoles & express cruisers that had to be relocated for the run. Once my lines are situated I sign in . I like seeing all the comradery of the old friends breaking each others balls and walking the docks looking at all the exotic hardware and dreaming maybe someday ???

Then the run starts , I do my best to keep up at first . Sometimes I leave before everyone to get a jump out front to grab some fresh blue water before I get swamped in sea of white foam and bubbles. It feels like I'm in the middle of a game of frogger as 100MPH++ boats blast past me like I'm a bouy. Then it's not long before I'm frantically searching for some reminence of a wake or at least the left over bubbles and fumbleing with the GPS for way points @ 70MPH while holding on for dear life to the 2nd card stop. It's not uncommon for me to follow some other innocent performance boater who has no idea that there is even a poker run happening right to his house or favorite boat lauch. Who then shoots me the " what the hell is the matter with this dude " look as I do some frantic nautical manuver to find my way back to the run.

I've also come to realize that very few of the "elite" even make it to the 3rd card stop and usually head right back to the marina to fight over who got to the 2nd card stop first .The 3rd 4th & 5th stops are usually left to us rank & file participants of the run. After the run I'm usually so beat up and wind burnt that I cant get to a mojito fast enough .

Thou some of the above story might be a little exagerated you can probaly get the idea. So my question is this .... Is there any up & coming poker runs preferably in the NY,NJ & CT area that will cater to us the less fortunate and have a poker run for ( 30' and under or 85MPH and under) or at least a division that we can run in this coming poker run season so I dont have to spend my day searching for bubbles.

PS... There was no intention to disrespect the over 30' population or the guy's with the exotic hardware , someday I hope to be there... or to complain about poker runs in general. It was just to give some insight into the trials and tribulations of running a little boat in a poker run.

2. Collapse Details

Kevin try a Florida Powerboat run in the winter.......a 32 Sunsation will get lost in the rear of the pack also! But to date I have never broke down at a PR!

Funny thing is a lot of the "hitters" have lost their boats to the repo man in the past few years...... What you see is not always what is going on in reality! S. FL has always been lots of flash, whether or not you have the cash.......

http://www.flpowerboat.com/gallery/d...lbum=11&pos=23

Bahamas run, solid 4ft seas (should have cancelled the run). 55 miles across open ocean, 13 boats left and I was the 3rd to arrive behind a 39 NT pace boat and a 45 Sonic (that cracked the deck on the way over). I wasn't going to be left behind on that day! Bouncing across the tops was a better ride than settling down and taking the beating!

3. Collapse Details

Check out njppc.com. They are going to have one.

Black Jack Poker Run
    28' Boats And Under Sat. Sept 5th

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by scottw View Post
    Black Jack Poker Run
    Thanks, thats what I'm talking about...

http://njppc.com/2009details.htm
    Saturday September 4th 2010 - Black Jack—28’ft and Smaller Poker Run
    NEW EVENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    This will be our first attempt to host an poker run specifically for smaller boats. We hope this will provide smaller boat owners an opportunity to checkout NJPPC and get the taste and feel of an NJPPC event

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by scottw View Post

Black Jack Poker Run

Kevin,
    We will be heading down to this! These guys put on a great run.
    Mahopac Marina
    Outerlimits/Sunsation & Stingray Dealer
    www.mahopacmarina.com 845-628-6550 sales@mahopacmarina.com

6. Collapse Details

It's not in your area, but Jacksonville in June and Destin in August are great for everyone.
    Treat every situation like a dog, if you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away.

7. Collapse Details

The club runs are the place to be. You'd fit right in at the NJ, Chesapeake, Lake Erie or many of the other club runs. And you really should consider spending an afternoon and towing to one.

8. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor mikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LIVE WIRE View Post
    The few Poker Runs I've attend I come back home very depressed that I never made anything out of myself and wished I'd payed more attention in school. Seems every boat there is 40' long with 1075's & pair of sixes hanging off the back with TAOD paint jobs.

Then I show up like a red headed step child with my 2008 Whippled 496 288 bowrider ( and proud of it). And usually get docked with all the Center Consoles & express cruisers that had to be relocated for the run. Once my lines are situated I sign in . I like seeing all the comradery of the old friends breaking each others balls and walking the docks looking at all the exotic hardware and dreaming maybe someday ???

Then the run starts , I do my best to keep up at first . Sometimes I leave before everyone to get a jump out front to grab some fresh blue water before I get swamped in sea of white foam and bubbles. It feels like I'm in the middle of a game of frogger as 100MPH++ boats blast past me like I'm a bouy. Then it's not long before I'm frantically searching for some reminence of a wake or at least the left over bubbles and fumbleing with the GPS for way points @ 70MPH while holding on for dear life to the 2nd card stop. It's not uncommon for me to follow some other innocent performance boater who has no idea that there is even a poker run happening right to his house or favorite boat lauch. Who then shoots me the " what the hell is the matter with this dude " look as I do some frantic nautical manuver to find my way back to the run.

I've also come to realize that very few of the "elite" even make it to the 3rd card stop and usually head right back to the marina to fight over who got to the 2nd card stop first .The 3rd 4th & 5th stops are usually left to us rank & file participants of the run. After the run I'm usually so beat up and wind burnt that I cant get to a mojito fast enough .

Thou some of the above story might be a little exagerated you can probaly get the idea. So my question is this .... Is there any up & coming poker runs preferably in the NY,NJ & CT area that will cater to us the less fortunate and have a poker run for ( 30' and under or 85MPH and under) or at least a division that we can run in this coming poker run season so I dont have to spend my day searching for bubbles.

PS... There was no intention to disrespect the over 30' population or the guy's with the exotic hardware , someday I hope to be there... or to complain about poker runs in general. It was just to give some insight into the trials and tribulations of running a little boat in a poker run.

Check out www.cbpba.com a lot of our Poker Runs you would fit into very well. We do have some fast boats but we also have a good 50mph group that you would run in with no problem. If you want any info please shoot me a pm and I will help in whatever way I can. Chris and a few others from here on serious did our South Run last year and had a blast. I am trying to get those Mahopac boys to come down as well. Maybe this year

Mikey
    Miss Geico Racing # 113

9. Collapse Details

Jammin on the James!

July 2010

Richmond, VA
    Brian Tillett; Active Thunder Factory Representative
    wwwActiveThunderBoats.com
    brian(a)activethunderboats.com

10. Collapse Details

Trailer NORTH!!!!!!!! The Performance Boat Club of Canada has several runs where you would fit right in.
    www.performanceboatclub.ca

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by JupiterSunsation View Post
    Bahamas run, solid 4ft seas (should have cancelled the run).
    Offshore boating at it's best!

A lot of runs in have staggered starts for us slow pokes! Find like-sized boats and stick together. Poker Runs should be fun, shouldn't feel like you were just in a cage match. And ani't nothing wrong with parking with the CC's!

12. Collapse Details

Kevin,

I agree with your assessment as I've experienced it as well....

First having an old 86' Scarab then an old 95' Apache..... They used to park me in the back away from the top contenders... It got me so infuriated that in one particular instance I had my sister tell the organizer that if I don't get a dock spot close to the action that I'll never do the run again.... That year they rolled out the carpet and even had me do an interview...

I've been poker running since the late 1990's and it wasn't till 05'/06' that things got better for me. I suppose the squeaky wheel gets the grease. For me it seemed, not only was it the age of my boat but also my physical age (I was under 30 yrs). It's supposed to be fun, not a race or a penis size contest (in my opinion).

And as far as not finishing, it's my belief that if you don't make all the card stops you shouldn't be allowed to play the game!

13. Collapse Details

The few Poker Runs I've attend I come back home very depressed that I never made anything out of myself and wished I'd payed more attention in school LOL. Seems every boat there is 40' long with 1075's & pair of sixes hanging off the back with TAOD paint jobs.

LW.. LOL not much exeguration here.
    No worries, been there.. done that.
    My first PR was in a new 26 footer. (eraly 90's) Took a beating trying to stay in the lower middle boys on the Lake Mich. 130+ boats and eventually I and a few others brought up the rear with loose fittings in our teeth. 15+ years later, I am still one of the smallest boats in many events, and while I can stay in the midle of the pack, Poker Runs evolved to more of a shoot out then a casual run. However, I do enjoy the events.
    Destin would be the best run for what you are referencing, but the way I look at it... any one having a 125 MPH or + boat not welcoming you as a boater and have a drink with you, they are not worth drinkig with. I do miss the older Poker Runs where most boats ran together for a while and only after lunch they "took off", Due to many of the "profit" runs there is a seperation of boaters. Boats with the bling and speed and boats owned by die hard boaters. Us die hards we go out on the weekends, have fun at a PR, and those with the blings and deep pocket boats you only see them at a Poker Run. Showing off is not the key. Showing up and having a great time IS.
    Life is: what happens... when you plan something else.

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo36 View Post
    Kevin,

And as far as not finishing, it's my belief that if you don't make all the card stops you shouldn't be allowed to play the game!
    Dont tell ME!! Last yr at a run BLEW up a motor didnt make the return time, The wife opened cards HAD winning hand $3500.00 down the drain!
    O well $30K later biotach is running strong

Life goes on

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    Life goes on
    that SUCKS and don't wish it upon anyone...but at the same time, gotta finish to win!

I guess my comment is not directed towards those who broke down as much as those who have a race to the first card stop, turn around and head back, picking up the remaining cards at the tent....If they knew they had to FINISH they might conserve a lil bit.

Poker Runs are sorta like Canon Ball runs.

16. Collapse Details

The NJPPC BlackJack run will be great! Also, as stated earlier check out all the NJPPC runs because we have all types and sizes of boats in the runs. When we do the Atlantic City run we have three starts. An Offshore group, an inshore group (self speed limited to 80mph) and a 60mph group. There are always groups to accommodate your needs and also most people group up or pair up to run together. We also regroup at each check point to gather everyone back together.
    Believe me, I know how you feel. When I joined the club 10 years ago, I had a 22' Donzi Classic!!!!

17. Collapse Details

Thanks, thats what I'm talking about...

http://njppc.com/2009details.htm
    Saturday September 4th 2010 - Black Jack—28’ft and Smaller Poker Run
    NEW EVENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    This will be our first attempt to host an poker run specifically for smaller boats. We hope this will provide smaller boat owners an opportunity to checkout NJPPC and get the taste and feel of an NJPPC event
    I'm working on finalizing the details and should have invites available in May!

18. Collapse Details

... It got me so infuriated that in one particular instance I had my sister tell the organizer that if I don't get a dock spot close to the action that I'll never do the run again.... That year they rolled out the carpet and even had me do an interview...
    I really hope you are good to your sister at Christmas time
    Whats with all this Skater Nation nonsense?
    $48,900.00

19. Collapse Details

Kevin,

Last year at the stormy, rainy Jacks run, we .. (now known as the Crazy Seven) stopped at all the card stops. Soaked, cold, wett boardering on hyperthermia, bones shaking more then a one blade prop... but that's what seperates a true die hard boater from the woosies making a mad dash back to the hotel.
    Last edited by PARADOX; 03-16-2010 at 10:30 AM.
    Life is: what happens... when you plan something else.

20. Collapse Details

LiveWire - You absolutely cannot go wrong with the NJPPC BlackJack Run. I'm getting my 28-footer back together just to do that event. Awesome, awesome club.

The Northern Chesapeake Poker Run out of Tome's Landing on the Susquehanna River on June 18th and 19th would be worth a look as well: http://ncbpr.com/