Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Ford 6.7 Powerstroke
    SO Tech Expert: Ford PSD's fixxxer22's Avatar
    Hey guys, I just got back from my training on the new 6.7. There are some things i really like:

They have confirmed a minimum of 18% better fuel economy due to the fact that the truck will re-gen 1/17 of the time compared to the 6.4 the SCR reduces emissions so well and the truck burns and runs so clean the DPF does not trap as much particulate matter.

The egr cooler is a dual setup and takes minutes to remove from the engine. The coolers have seperate cooling systems one cooled by the primary and the other cooled by the secondary. making egr gasses much cooler (when needed). the cooler gas can also be bypassed to keep the exhaust gasses hotter to keep from making any kind of build-up of deposits.

The urea does not cost as much as expected and you can get it at truck stops and auto parts stores. it looks like a gallon may be about $5 for right now but that includes a bottle with nozzle for cold weather filling. and it can be as low as $2 a gallon if the dealer buys in bulk. The urea can als be called Ad blue and DEF.

The instrument cluster of this truck is better than any one i have ever seen. The built fod tough brick drops and breaks the concrete in the 4 inch LCD screen in the cluster.

The truck will also let you know if your low pressure fuel system pressure is low to prevent engine damage and letting you know when your filter is becomming restricted. the engine will de-rate if it sees the pressure go low to prevent injector damage.

The injectors are each flow tested and the ECM gets an indentification number programmed in for each injector for it's calibration and flow rate to make running smoother and better fuel economy. the high pressure pump also has different controls to help control the load that the pump makes on the engine to also help get better fuel economy.

The engineers seemed to have the technician in mind. they also had fuel economy as their #1 priority. My instructor says he has yet to see a new 6.7 drop below 17mpg empty. The truck for the chicago training center is missing though. it was not on the train. the truck we used came from the milwaukee training center. the other design changes of the body are small. it is a good lookin truck. but that instrument cluster is bad a$$. lets see what happens. I feel better about this one than the 6.4
    Now recruiting Mississippi power boaters.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer22 View Post
    The engineers seemed to have the technician in mind.
    Wow! That's definitely unusual!

3. Collapse Details

is ford actually making the new engine? I have a 05' 6.0 ( its my 3rd), the first two had major problems and i let ford have them back. inbetween the 2nd and my current one, i tried a chevy. couldn't handle the interior and overall truck seemed cheesy.

anyway, was wondering about ford getting their act together for the motor. how come they don't have a Cummin's in there yet. thought they bought Cummins awhile back to end there engine issues?

4. Collapse Details

I am not certain about how much interest Ford has in cummins. I was told that they own some of cummins but we only use them in the F-650 and up trucks.

I am never a tech to reccomend a truck right when they launch. The trucks are available for sale (according to my instructor and field service engineer) 3.15.2010. They seem better for service and the front clip is supposed to come off in under 20 minutes. the wheel wells and splash shields come out easier. The body is not intented to come You gotta see one. The launch of the 6.0 and 6.4 did not feel the same. the Ford team seems to be excited about this truck (like they were for the 99.5 7.3) It is really cool to see them acting this way. it seems that they have covered all of their bases. Also you can tell the engineers and field engineers are so proud to say it is built for and by ford motor company.

5. Collapse Details

The 7.3L was a great engine as we know, the stories I have been told was the 6.0L(sadly called the sick-o)was brought out to meet gov't emmissions,brought out with out proper testing, the 6.4L was going to be the one! Ford & International fighting pushed Ford to bring out the 6.7L(claiming the engine as thier own), Just sold my first 2011 last week, hope to see it in 8 weeks. I hope it as good as they say, I would like to get back into selling some diesels again, that 6.0L killed my sales.

6. Collapse Details

how is V10 sales?
    does Santa's sleigh have a blower ?

7. Collapse Details

There is a Boss 6.2 V-10 comming out too.

8. Collapse Details

I love my V-10, but for 2011 new 6.2L, no more 5.4L or 6.8L, 5.4L gone in Super Duty, V-10 only ave. in F-450 &F-550. Past few years sold my fleets mostly 5.4L, a hand full of 6.8L. New fleet of trucks coming for power co. with the new 6.2L.

9. Collapse Details

registered
    Awesome. Good the hear, Fixxxer. Thanks for the info.

Check this out:
    http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/08...el-engine.html

Looks like this new 6.7 will be a real kick-azz diesel.

10. Collapse Details

I believe the new 6.7 is all in-house engineered and produced by Ford. All the others were International.

Emissions certainly are driving the changes, but as they change, they become significantly more refined. Ride in a new Ford truck and then a 10-year-old one and the comfort difference is atonishing.

When can I have my new 6.7 Excursion?

11. Collapse Details

registered
    Right.

Codenamed “Scorpion,” the 6.7-liter PSD is Ford’s first-ever designed-in-house pickup truck diesel engine since the first oil burner (International’s 6.9-liter V-8) was offered under the hood of a Ford pickup in 1982...

...Its creation can be traced back to the 6.0-liter Power Stroke that Ford introduced for its 2003 Super Duty pickups. Ford and Navistar (International’s parent company) went to battle in court over warranty problems and cost issues related to that engine, which ultimately led to both companies ending their 30-year diesel manufacturing relationship in January. Ford kept the rights to the well-known Power Stroke name that has been associated with Ford diesels since 1994.
    Lot of great info in that article; it goes quite in depth into the inner workings and the new technologies.

12. Collapse Details

If you keep your foot in that truck it is hard to keep the tires from spinning. there is almost no turbo lag and its pretty quiet. sounds like a 5.4 with a mild case of spark knock. My instructor said that the f-450 with a locker in the rear will do an impressive texas J and can turn on a dime if you drift the rear end out. which is no problem at all.

i think chevy is using the urea SCR system and it is rumored to be a higher cost but better working system for both the ford and chevy. I think dodge is doing something different. It will be weird to see a urea fill nozzle next to a diesel pump at a truck stop here in a couple years.

13. Collapse Details

What happens if you run out of urea?

14. Collapse Details

pee in it..

15. Collapse Details

here is the most recent chart from the diesel suppliment in the owners guide. this is what the truck will do to warn you about a low ammount of DEF and what the truck will do if you ignore it.

and Mark, pee pee may not work too well. It can tell its concentration by how well it is cutting NOx emmissions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ha.pdf  

16. Collapse Details

I cannot wait to drive one, but it will be ten years before I buy it so I can pay cash!
    35 Cigarette Mistress

17. Collapse Details

18. Collapse Details

hmmmm... i'm having truck remorse already....

6.2 and 4.30's?
    does Santa's sleigh have a blower ?

19. Collapse Details

If I don't get back on my diet, I'm going to be seeing 6'2 and 430

20. Collapse Details

You ain't that tall...