Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater View Post
    I don't know, circa 1970's. No HIN.

I picked up this project to get a better relationship with my older brother. He is disabled due to a head injury he got playing soccer in college. He is very hard to talk to and get along with or have any sort of a real discussion with. He can't hold a job, can't hold any kind of relationship, and lives with my parents. He is bitter about how his life has turned out for him. The other day we were working on something and amazingly we got along. I thought that if we couldn't get along having conversation then we could get along working on something. I knew he liked boats and fishing and often talked about buying one to fix up so I bought this whaler to fix up and call it "our boat". Now he is happier and we have a better relationship because instead of driving me crazy when he comes over now we are working on a fun project together. I'm hoping when were done he will have something to be proud of; right now he has nothing.
    I think it is nice to know that there still is a few good people left in this world who are willing to show and offer some compassion to there fellow man , friends and family . The reason i asked about the age of the boat is because in the past i have ran across a lot of older Whalers were the foam is saturated with water underneath the deck/linner and just curious does the boat seem very heavy because the foam will absorb water like a sponge .

2. Collapse Details

Dave . it was nice talking with you also and it seems that we are averaging 1 to 2 conversations a week. Take care ole friend and for get that autograph picture .

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Ginger View Post
    I think it is nice to know that there still is a few good people left in this world who are willing to show and offer some compassion to there fellow man , friends and family . The reason i asked about the age of the boat is because in the past i have ran across a lot of older Whalers were the foam is saturated with water underneath the deck/linner and just curious does the boat seem very heavy because the foam will absorb water like a sponge .
    Not sure about saturation, but doesn't appear to be any heavier than normal. It does have minor damage on the bottom of the hull, but its been sitting in a TX barn for 4 years. The guy I bought it from was going to restore it but stoped and bought a jon boat instead. Hopefully if any water got in has dried up by now. I was able to pick it up with two people, but it took most all I had. By that measure I'd say it weighs around 250lbs.

4. Collapse Details

Not sure about saturation, but doesn't appear to be any heavier than normal. It does have minor damage on the bottom of the hull, but its been sitting in a TX barn for 4 years. The guy I bought it from was going to restore it but stoped and bought a jon boat instead. Hopefully any water that got in has dried up by now. I was able to pick it up with two people, but it took most all I had. By that measure I'd say it weighs around 250lbs.

Wimp

5. Collapse Details

I asked earlier if it had sentimental value. Somtimes we inherit somthing from a parent or relitive that means somthing to us. In your case you are trying to make somthing of sentimental value. I can appreciate that. Get a couple of tyvek or equivelent suits, safty goggles, resperators, grinder, DA, plenty of sandpaper. Your air compressor will get a workout so I hope it is in good shape. Keep us updated and good luck with your project.

6. Collapse Details

Crabs....yum....hear they have TV shows about where to get good ones at?

Good project Tex- nice to see you trying to help him.

What do you do without a HIN? Like to register, title, insure, etc?

7. Collapse Details

I had one like that , the blue inside is the old ones mine was a 68 w/33 rude on her. My dad didn't tie her to the mooring too well and came off in a hurricane and beached on some rocks. Broke the re-bar cables running through the hull so I decided not worth fixing at that point . Donated her to the church and is used as a sandbox for the nursery school kids play ground at least 15 years ago. Drove by the other day , still there in use !!!

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MarylandMark View Post
    Crabs....yum....hear they have TV shows about where to get good ones at?

Good project Tex- nice to see you trying to help him.

What do you do without a HIN? Like to register, title, insure, etc?
    I've heard TX will stamp one on when its titled. I've also heard that they weren't required to put HIN's on boats until 1972. I'm thinking this boat was made somewhere from 1964-1972.

9. Collapse Details

registered
    I've heard TX will stamp one on when its titled. I've also heard that they weren't required to put HIN's on boats until 1972. I'm thinking this boat was made somewhere from 1964-1972.
    Our Whaler is a 1979 model. There is no HIN stamped into the hull...but there is a metallic tag that is attached to the transom on the upper starboard side that is from the manufacturer. . Maybe the tag on this boat came off or was removed. I'll do a little research today, it may be easier to narrow it down by determining what year they stopped using the blue in the inside (cockpit) of the hulls. It's before 1979 for sure!