Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Chevelle Nascar Project
    Kind of a continuance from the other site......in short a couple yrs back I went to Mooresville NC and bought this 1999 Hutch Pagan ex Cup/Arca car....I also bought this Chevelle with the idea of putting the two together and making a track day/ quasi legal street car...been wanting to it for yrs actually.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01610.JPG   Chevelle Project 009.jpg   DSC01856.JPG  

DSC01857.JPG   DSC01956.JPG  
    Last edited by pullmytrigger; 03-04-2010 at 06:07 PM.

2. Collapse Details

been staring at it long enough....time to get at it.....pulled the sheet metal off the race car, see how the body is held up with "sticks" as my wife calls them.....I'll leave them and attach the body of the Chevelle the same way....the cars are VERY close in almost evry dimension you can imagine.....I'll have to remove the door bars for clearence because I want doors that actually open.....I'll end up with a Pro Street type door bar set up
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02150.JPG   DSC02151.JPG   DSC02157.JPG  

Last edited by pullmytrigger; 03-04-2010 at 11:44 AM.

3. Collapse Details

built this frame out of wood to lift the body of the Chevelle off its frame and up and down over the racecar for fitting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02184.JPG   DSC02185.JPG  

4. Collapse Details

sold the rolling frame of the Chevelle in one afternoon for $700....12 bolt posi, disc brake front end
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02191.JPG  

5. Collapse Details

tonight was a pretty monumental night actually.....got the doors reinforced and cut the old floor out of the Chevelle.....pics are smokey....had to do some of the work with a torch (80% done with a sawsall) and a bunch of tar undercoating caught on fire a couple of times.....had a pretty good fire going one time
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02211.JPG   DSC02212.JPG  

6. Collapse Details

and dropped the body over the racecar......wouldnt go all the way I have hours of trimming to do......firewall, rear wheel houses etc.....I want to leave the stock mount for the wiper motor if I can though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02215.JPG   DSC02216.JPG  

7. Collapse Details

COOL
    Hot Rod did an older ElCamino with a little less sever set up a year ago or so

8. Collapse Details

Cool Project, But why trash a chevelle for it

9. Collapse Details

Very cool. Those brake pads should last about 4 lifetimes on the street.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by rchevelle71 View Post
    Cool Project, But why trash a chevelle for it
    trash????......#1 the car is a 307 powerglide car.....nothing special.....the guy I bought it off said it used to have a big block in it so he prob swapped in the 12 bolt.....I wouldn't do that to a real SS.

#2 when I bought it the car it had no motor, trans, drive shaft, interior of any kind incl the headliner,wiring of ANY kind, steering column, instrument cluster, master cyl, grille/headlights, hood, inner front fenders, battery box and I could have kicked most of the entire floor out of it....but the rockers are good and its had new quarters and all the glass is there.....buddy, don't get all purist on me I'm saving this car from rotting into the ground.....it had sat in the guys shed for over 10 yrs and nobody wanted it, too much work to put it back to stock. ( no kidding!!)....and there's TONS of them around, there's prob 30 on ebay at any given time alone, 12 mos a year....its not a ZL-1 Camaro.

The inspiration came from growing up going to stock car races where the whole Late Model field was 68 - 72 Chevelles....a nasty small block, all lowered with huge slicks on all four they looked awesome.....always been a fan.

11. Collapse Details

Not being purist, maybe trash is a little too harsh a word this early in the morning? Car looked salvagable to me?? If it has good rockers, chances are the rest of the car was salvagable also. Like I said it is a cool project, and I agree on the late model field thing. I agree a 307 powergide car is no prize possesion, but my 71 was no SS car either, started life as a 350 Malibu, TH350, 10 bolt one legger, ended up with a 383 stoker, and 12 bolt 4:55 Posi, just a fun street rod. Of course, some of my resentment stems from me having to sell mine before I quite finished it, and I have been kickin myself in the azz ever since, I just hate to see these cars cut up. One of these days I will have another, just dont have the room to restore one right now, or the $$ to buy one done.

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Trim'd Up View Post
    Very cool. Those brake pads should last about 4 lifetimes on the street.
    If you use the brake pads that come with it, that lifetime may be about 50 feet. I learned that years ago- race pads need to be heated. I almost killed myself.

Very cool project.

13. Collapse Details

Very nice. Can't wait to see it done. I've got some options I'm mulling over on my '68 Camaro right now, but need to get through the boat projects first. Might go with a full tube chassis on the car as well.

My '68 is a northeastern car too (even though I realize you're a southerner where you're from, PMT). So the car needs cut up one way or another. Just a matter of whether I weld in Chinese made stock floor pans or go with steel tube and aluminum.

On the up side, these cars live to fight another day. Unlike the thousands of cars that are rotting away in fields and barns either forgotten or "not for sale because they're gonna be fixed some day".

"Tear gas and draft beer don't mix."

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by rchevelle71 View Post
    , just a fun street rod.
    trust me this car will be FUN......!!!!

Man youd be a fool to bring this car back to stock.....youd have a PILE of work and prob 50g's in it and would still be only able to get 30k out of it because its not a high option SS......Now the guy I bought it off also has a 70SS Chevelle 454 325hp 400 auto red on black A/C car ALL THERE! with about a half inch of dust on it and faded paint...now THAT would be something to have....along with a 70 big block auto El Camino and a 69 small b El Camino......both well worth going after.
    Last edited by pullmytrigger; 03-05-2010 at 01:58 PM.

15. Collapse Details

With the door bars cut out you can see how the racecar still has a conventional floor pan....thats the mechanical brake bias adjuster sitting on the trans tunnel...I'll mount that on the dash somewhere..... with the nice straight outside frame rails I'll just weld the body right to the chassis....no more body on frame.

These things are simply wiped down after construction and painted, no primer so paint just falls off them.....lots of unpainted metal all over the car...easily rusts....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02218.JPG  

16. Collapse Details

rear end cooler stll all there.....the hose would go to a Naca duct in the rear quarter window
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02222.JPG  

17. Collapse Details

Dry Sump tank still there with lines and 110 volt heater mounted right behind the driver.....was still full of oil.....more bare metal......if I use it I'll move it to the trunk on the right side in Cup road race fashion....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02221.JPG  

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by pullmytrigger View Post
    trust me this car will be FUN......!!!!

Man youd be a fool to bring this car back to stock.....youd have a PILE of work and prob 50g's in it and would still be only able to get 30k out of it because its not a high option SS.......
    Guess your right, when i started mine it was 13 years ago(man time flies), and I had a bunch of friends in the hot rod business that helped out, so it really didnt cost all that much, but if I were to do it now it would be different.

Quote Originally Posted by pullmytrigger View Post
    Now the guy I bought it off also has a 70SS Chevelle 325hp 400 auto red on black A/C car ALL THERE! with about a half inch of dust on it and faded paint...now THAT would be something to have....along with a 70 big block auto El Camino and a 69 small b El Camino......both well worth going after.

19. Collapse Details

this is the stance Im looking for.....except a Chevelle obviously.....prob black with chrome wheels.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails normal_BobPressleyLMS.jpg  

20. Collapse Details

drove 1hr last Sat and scored these fiberglass bumpers, glass front fenders and trim pieces from a drag guy who is not using them.....all driver quality stuff which is fine with me but the fenders are really good .....$350.....Im happy with that!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02225.JPG  
    Last edited by pullmytrigger; 03-09-2010 at 03:45 PM.